BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 74
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:37:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What gets me is even with some of the badly over gassed ar10s I've had I have never ripped the rim off a casing. Honestly I think I'd rather the extractor slip so that I could let the bolt fly again and hopefully get it out after all the pressure is gone. Once the rim is ripped off you gotta have a rod to knock it out.
View Quote
That's a good point
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd be suspect of the chamber.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Also, using a small base die for reloaded ammo could help. It should not be doing this with factory ammo however.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
To me the trigger is a bit of a disappointment. It's completely functional and useable but I expected better. Can't find the pull gauge but it's in the 5lb range. About .050" take up and .175-.2" creep measured at very bottom of trigger and it needs to move that much to reset also. Weight wise it is better than a bushmaster gi trigger but the creep is worse. The Rfb I had had a surprisingly good trigger.
View Quote
When I spoke with DT at the GAOS, the rep specifically stated that the trigger in the basic MDR was designed to be one for a "combat rifle", not a match trigger, not a light trigger, but something that was applicable to a combat rifle.  The example he used was that when people are stacked outside a door, you don't want a ND because the trigger is too light.  

FWIW.

Kurt
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:07:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

When I spoke with DT at the GAOS, the rep specifically stated that the trigger in the basic MDR was designed to be one for a "combat rifle", not a match trigger, not a light trigger, but something that was applicable to a combat rifle.  The example he used was that when people are stacked outside a door, you don't want a ND because the trigger is too light.  

FWIW.

Kurt
View Quote
How many of these rifles are going to be stacked outside a door?  So are they chasing contracts with PD's?  How are frangible .308 rounds in a CQB/home environment?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How many of these rifles are going to be stacked outside a door?  So are they chasing contracts with PD's?  How are frangible .308 rounds in a CQB/home environment?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FWIW.

Kurt
I would assume that they are chasing the same police contracts that every other company is, and remember, the .308 is the first caliber released - the 5.56 should be out this winter.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:58:44 PM EDT
[#7]
New Desert Tech MDR .308 Bullpup
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:41:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I would assume that they are chasing the same police contracts that every other company is, and remember, the .308 is the first caliber released - the 5.56 should be out this winter..
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:45:30 PM EDT
[#9]
This was a very good video intro to the gun.

As much as I cannot STAND the PR nightmare of a CEO that heads DT......

It looks like they have a very viable design.  I was impressed.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:51:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Got home at a decent hour today. Only used the 762rc can and managed to make it through 75rds or so without a stuck case. I really want to use the Sps300 on this one because it is quieter. Need to test again with it and see if I have anymore stuck cases.

20rds South African, a handful of 168 and 175fgmm, and 40 rds of 150fmj Lc. Put the magnetospeed on just to get an idea.

SA 147gr 2600fps
Fgmm 168 2475/51/17
Fgmm 175 2437/37/14

Accuracy was 2moa ish but I was shooting off a bag on the back rack of the 4 wheeler and the trijicon accupower 1-8 doesn't have the best reticle for pinpoint accuracy. Also the mosquitoes found me pretty fast so it really wasn't a good test of the guns potential.

Just got in some D+H steel mags and tried one, worked great. One of my Kac mags keeps falling out though and I'm not sure why. Visually I can't seen any difference between the two I have.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:01:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Good to hear no issues.  I do honestly look much more fwd to the 556 version.  Just don't have any use, for me, in a 308 bullpup.  In Tim's video, it still amazes me how sleek the RDB looks.  Need to pull the trigger on one.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:48:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Hmm... I am pretty impressed at all the engineering went into the MDR.  Definitely superior to my RDB.  But at the 2x price?  I don't know.  Also, Tim got an "evaluation copy" directly from MDR.  So I am sure they QC the shit out of it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:00:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Hmm... I am pretty impressed at all the engineering went into the MDR.  Definitely superior to my RDB.  But at the 2x price?  I don't know.  Also, Tim got an "evaluation copy" directly from MDR.  So I am sure they QC the shit out of it.
View Quote
2x? Since when is the MDR $3000???
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 5:41:34 AM EDT
[#14]
More like when was the last time you priced the RDB other than at your local gun stealer. ?

Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:43:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, your local prices must be shit or your price searching skills suck.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:39:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

2x? Since when is the MDR $3000 $1800???
View Quote
@nomad07 FIFY
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:00:36 AM EDT
[#17]
And you can find the RDB for at or under $1k...but that is neither here nor there.  Not sure what the RFB is going for. 

I honestly hope these MDR's succeed, just skeptical.  Still haven't seen a review of a non DT owned MDR, but I supposed it is early in the release.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:48:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
More like when was the last time you priced the RDB other than at your local gun stealer. ?
View Quote
meh...was thinking RFB on the 308 caliber side, it's what 1300-1400 ish?

MDR is more in the premiumish 308 category for ar10's (at least what i compare it too) all that is 1900-2700 ish....

If you think MDR is too pricey, don't buy it then....
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:49:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
And you can find the RDB for at or under $1k...but that is neither here nor there.  Not sure what the RFB is going for. 

I honestly hope these MDR's succeed, just skeptical.  Still haven't seen a review of a non DT owned MDR, but I supposed it is early in the release.
View Quote
there's a couple on the BP forum, and didn't newguy do a mini review?
Ya i hope they work out too...  cool looking gun
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:01:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Another 40rds of 150fmj today. No ripped rims but the brownells mag fell out once and Laure mag fell out 3-4 times. One failure to pick up a round when the mag slipped down but didn't fall completely out.

ETA. And I don't know what the hell but I had a few where it stripped and loaded a new round but didn't reset the hammer. Ejecting live rounds don't always seem to go back far enough to enter the chute correctly. I was using the sps300 can which should have more backpressure than the 762rc. The whole thing is odd.

Spelling errors. Dumbphone
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:46:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

there's a couple on the BP forum, and didn't newguy do a mini review?
Ya i hope they work out too...  cool looking gun
View Quote
Meant to say video reviews.  I like watching shiny new things go bang.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Another 40rds of 150fmj today. To ripped rims but the brownells mag fell out once and Laure mag fell out 3-4 times. On failure to pick up a round when the mag slipped down but didn't fall completely out.

ETA. And I don't know what the hell but I had a few where it stripped and loaded a new round but didn't reset the hammer. Ejecting live rounds don't always seem to go back far enough to enter the chute correctly.
View Quote
It's a good thing they took the time to test this thing by delaying it a few extra years. Otherwise they'd have released a half-finished rifle with loads of issues and let the end users be their beta testers.

Or maybe in true arfcom fashion they just decided to 'get both'.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Another 40rds of 150fmj today. To ripped rims but the brownells mag fell out once and Laure mag fell out 3-4 times. On failure to pick up a round when the mag slipped down but didn't fall completely out.

ETA. And I don't know what the hell but I had a few where it stripped and loaded a new round but didn't reset the hammer. Ejecting live rounds don't always seem to go back far enough to enter the chute correctly.
View Quote
At this point I would send it back and...probably request a refund.  No way will you ever be able to trust your life to that thing if it's ripping cases and dropping mags.  I noticed in Tim's video he had a hard time seating mags also and at one point the BCG road right over the top of the round b/c the mag apparently wasn't fully seated.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:58:32 PM EDT
[#24]
This one is going back to dt. I've known that since the 3rd round I fired through it Sunday. I'm just going to keep it a little while and see what issues wear in and go away, which ones stay and if any new ones pop up.

I can forgive gen 1 magpuls not staying in. There is an obvious change in the mold on the newer ones and they have a deeper catch. Larue and Kac falling out is unacceptable.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Two key answers...

1.  What does he have to gain by badmouthing DT?  He's been badmouthing DT for quite some time; first due to the delay and then when he wanted to cancel.  In my experience he has no reason to stop and now that he's gotten what he wants there's no reason not to sink the knife as deep as possible.

2.  Why do I defend them?  Two reasons; first, I give them the benefit of the doubt because this is a product development/launch process the likes of which they've never had before.  Every step of the way is new for them and based on the owner's comments, they (he) reported what the production team told him.  Things happen and they did scale back their announcements of when it would be released.  That said, from the reviews I've seen, the consensus is that this isn't a "Gen 1" release; it's much more refined, developed, and matured.  I'll take a year delay for that.  Second reason that I defend them is because I'm sick and tired of the constant bashing that goes on.  I can see complaining, grumbling, and such, and then moving on.  But not DT.  No...it's constantly a "let's beat DT!", often by people who don't have any money invested in the rifle and have no intention of ever getting one...they're just hear for the chance to put someone/something down.  There needs to be a dissenting opinion or this becomes nothing more than an echo chamber where only approved opinions are allowed.

Like it, hate it, those are the reasons.
View Quote
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I have been around a while.  IF I recall correctly, you were a frequent commenter on threads where someone praised Microtech back in the day, you would bring up your totally justified frustration about the bad mags you got and their complete failure to resolve it.  Serious question- whatever happened to those?  Now, you seem to dismiss folks who bring up issues about DT and complain that they are constantly complaining about the same thing.  Would love to understand the difference between your outlook on the former and your outlook on the latter.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:12:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Put a magpul qd sling adapter on the hand guard. It handles even better when you have a sling with a little tension on it. I wish they had put a anti-rotation qd cup in the rear. Run the magpul screws all the way through holding the retainer tabs with a pair of pliers to knock some of the loctite off or they will turn inside the plastic hand guard.

Made it through a full m3 mag of the SA ball that gave me trouble before and it didn't drop the mag either. I made it through almost a mag of the 175smk but it stuck a case again. I was going to try a full lancer mag of SA but I forgot to bring a glove to get the cab off because my extractor rod wasn't long enough. I'm not sure why I had so much hell before and it seems better now.

The trigger seems to be smoothing out or I'm just getting used to it. Still has a lot more creep and travel than I'd like but I don't see that going away.

Unfortunately like I figured the plastic hand guard and mounting system isn't solid enough for a dbal, atpial, etc. changing which way I applied pressure it would shift 2-3 mil pretty easy and only sometimes returned to within a mil of where the laser was before. It may be satisfactory for buis.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:44:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I have been around a while.  IF I recall correctly, you were a frequent commenter on threads where someone praised Microtech back in the day, you would bring up your totally justified frustration about the bad mags you got and their complete failure to resolve it.  Serious question- whatever happened to those?  Now, you seem to dismiss folks who bring up issues about DT and complain that they are constantly complaining about the same thing.  Would love to understand the difference between your outlook on the former and your outlook on the latter.
View Quote
MSAR made good on the promise to replace the mags and I posted that they did when it happened.  

The difference, to me, is that after everyone waiting twenty months for the rifle to be released that there is so much knee jerk negativity that it's over the top.  Most of the snark is from people who, like you, "don't have a dog in the fight".  Some others, immediately screech to the forums that something wasn't exactly perfect before they even contact DT to give them a chance to make it right.  Compare that to the MSAR issue where people did contact them, were told that things would be made right (replacement mags 2 for 1, new optics with a rail to hold over until the replacement was ready, etc.) and then MSAR essentially disappeared into the night and shafted everyone.  DT hasn't done that and doesn't show any sign of doing so.

On the issue of giving DT a chance to make things right before declaring to the world that the MDR is "junque", I'll cite the example of someone who broke the barrel lock screw because they didn't have the barrel seated and then torqued it down.  The manual explained how to install the barrel and the process wasn't followed, yet this person posted that the screw broke and that set off a round of "oh, this isn't good...this is a defect...etc."

If the rifle turns out to be mediocre, fine; just give the damned thing a chance to prove itself or fail based on its actual merits before trashing it and DT.  

Did DT make mistakes over the past two years?  Absolutely.  Their biggest sin was that they announced it publicly and when pressed for a release date, gave a projection.  Compare that to several other companies who have announced firearms that have yet to see commercial civilian sales (Crye revolver shotgun, SKO-BUL, Bren-10 rebirth, etc.) and I think that DT did an fair job bringing it to market as quickly as they did.

Full disclosure:  I do have a "dog in this fight" as I prepaid in full in February 2016.  And despite what some have accused me of, I do not work for DT nor am I receiving anything "in kind" for my comments.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

FWIW.

Kurt
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To me the trigger is a bit of a disappointment. It's completely functional and useable but I expected better. Can't find the pull gauge but it's in the 5lb range. About .050" take up and .175-.2" creep measured at very bottom of trigger and it needs to move that much to reset also. Weight wise it is better than a bushmaster gi trigger but the creep is worse. The Rfb I had had a surprisingly good trigger.

FWIW.

Kurt
That's not a valid example. Whether we were stacked up on a door or we were on the firing range for quarterly qualifications or were just conducting tactical training with unloaded weapons, we were always taught and trained to never have your finger inside the trigger guard unless you were ready to fire the weapon. There is no way you are going to have a ND because you're finger is nowhere near the trigger and shouldn't be. If you're stacked outside a door and you have your finger inside the trigger guard then you shouldn't be on that or any other entry team, period. Not directed at you, it's directed at that DT rep.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 2:10:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That's not a valid example. Whether we were stacked up on a door or we were on the firing range for quarterly qualifications or were just conducting tactical training with unloaded weapons, we were always taught and trained to never have your finger inside the trigger guard unless you were ready to fire the weapon. There is no way you are going to have a ND because you're finger is nowhere near the trigger and shouldn't be. If you're stacked outside a door and you have your finger inside the trigger guard then you shouldn't be on that or any other entry team, period. Not directed at you, it's directed at that DT rep.
View Quote
The broader point he was making was that they didn't want to put too light a trigger on the rifle that might cause NDs due to poor handling.  Not everyone practices perfect trigger discipline all the time.  I would prefer a slightly heavier trigger on a GP rifle rather than a lighter, match grade trigger designed for precision.

Then again, if the trigger in the demo was an example, it was extremely good.  Granted, it was probably fired and dry fired thousands of times, but it was smooth and nice.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:21:44 PM EDT
[#30]
My local shop received 8 MDR's for customers who bought in a pre-order. Unfortunately I didn't get to look at them first hand but I saw the boxes.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:40:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Put another 40 rds of sa ball through it with a lancer and magpul m3 with no failures. I would glance at the mag catch and it was working its way out some with the lancer, magpul was fine. Without a new mag catch or some other change I expect the lancer will drop at some point. I did pull the mag catch out the other day and stretched the spring to see if I could get a little more tension on it.

Did some checking and m3 do have the most engagement with the mag catch. On the low end Kac and Larue have .020" maybe. The top edge of the catch is chamfered and while it will help with locking in on insertion it's not helping to hold them in.

I'm not sure why I'm having less stuck cases now. I ran a plastic chamber brush in it after the first day of issues. Maybe the action is dirtying up enough now the carrier speed is slowing down?

Fired some with the ejection chute off. Cases FLY!! 20-30ft straight out to 3:30-4 o'clock.

I feel like I've had enough time to find the major issues with the gun. Waiting on an email back from dt with a rma/shipping label.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Looks like one is for sale on Gunbroker.  I'm not the seller just letting people know.

Gunbroker
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 1:03:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Looks like one is for sale on Gunbroker.  I'm not the seller just letting people know.

Gunbroker
View Quote
Wow. Sold for $3025. Someone wanted that pretty badly.
I may get one further down the line after the kinks are worked out. Coworker that is on the preorder got his invoice in an email back on Monday the 25th. We are supposed to go fire it when he gets it in.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 2:53:23 PM EDT
[#34]
So we do think the 5.56 will be out by Dec?

Jan '16 pre order here
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Absolutely!

What year though?
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 9:54:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Jan '16 pre order here
View Quote
Given their track record, anyone who actually believes their 5.56 will be out in DEC is completely out of their fucking mind. Still, you never know, crazier things have happened.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 10:04:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Whoever was complaining about the recoil impulse, it's not any different than a normal semi-auto .308. It's all in the shooter.

I shot 68 rounds through the MDR today. My observations:

The forward magazine release was noticeably sticky as others have pointed out. The PMAG did not drop free 2 out of the 3 times.

The trigger is fantastic. I've never shot a semi-auto bullpup with this good of a trigger out of the box.

The rifle is incredibly solid. Nothing wobbles or creeks.

The ergonomics were great. Everything is in the right place.

The bolt was sloppy the first 36 rounds I fired. It had to be oiled, but then it was great the rest of the time.

I never experienced any malfunctions. However, the staff told me if you don't want to remove the ejection chute to clear a malfunction, removing the magazine allows you to clear it as normal. This was a huge relief to me, as I'd surely lose the ejection chute in the field.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 2:35:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Whoever was complaining about the recoil impulse, it's not any different than a normal semi-auto .308. It's all in the shooter.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee97/antm4n311/Mobile%20Uploads/20170930_120335_1.gif

The forward magazine release was noticeably sticky as others have pointed out. The PMAG did not drop free 2 out of the 3 times.

The trigger is fantastic. I've never shot a semi-auto bullpup with this good of a trigger out of the box.

The bolt was sloppy the first 36 rounds I fired. It had to be oiled, but then it was great the rest of the time.

I never experienced any malfunctions. However, the staff told me if you don't want to remove the ejection chute to clear a malfunction, removing the magazine allows you to clear it as normal. This was a huge relief to me, as I'd surely lose the ejection chute in the field.
View Quote
Neat.  But I thought the CH was non-reciprocal?
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Neat.  But I thought the CH was non-reciprocal?
View Quote
wow that is bad
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 4:29:06 PM EDT
[#40]
It is non reciprocal. It works pretty much like an ar charging handle and needs to click into the forward notch to hold it. Springs hold it in once it's there but mine too did not always go all the way forward and lock into there on its own.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee97/antm4n311/Mobile%20Uploads/20170930_120335_1.gif

View Quote
Curious, was this your rifle or some kind of shoot and you were useing a booths rifles?
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 1:47:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Curious, was this your rifle or some kind of shoot and you were useing a booths rifles?
View Quote
I was using DT's rifle at a shoot. It'd been ran pretty hard.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 2:48:06 PM EDT
[#43]
They've had mine back for a week and I'm waiting for a return email with an update.

Eta: They just emailed that their warranty coordinator is no longer with them and someone else is filling in and is looking into it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
They've had mine back for a week and I'm waiting for a return email with an update.

Eta: They just emailed that their warranty coordinator is no longer with them and someone else is filling in and is looking into it.
View Quote
lol yikes
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 4:31:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
lol yikes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol yikes
Can't make some of this $hit up
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 4:40:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Can't make some of this $hit up
View Quote
A rich, thriving, vibrant, up and coming, legit, never-our-problem, about to hit it big with the MDR type company losing its warranty coordinator... huh. Must have been a freak accident.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 5:14:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Thread needs a title update.

"It's early October and tens upon tens of MDRs are probably available!"
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 5:50:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
@CowboyWubWub I support this!
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 10:26:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been thinking all week about what to rename this thread. Done.
Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top