User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 11:41:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tikiman001:

When you say right up on, are we talking eyeball to glass or a finger or 2 inbetween? Trying to see how close this is to how I currently use my PVS-14, which is with the diopter ring just about touching the brim of an ACH.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

When you say right up on, are we talking eyeball to glass or a finger or 2 inbetween? Trying to see how close this is to how I currently use my PVS-14, which is with the diopter ring just about touching the brim of an ACH.

Originally Posted By chosos:
Seated to eyecups

Well I tend to run my -14s close, and my -7s with the eye cup folded back but almost touching, as in I sometimes feel my eye brows touching the folded over cup so it maybe fine for me.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By sheepdog697:
Is this pretty self explanatory for someone diving into building night vision for the first time?  About to pull the trigger from kosher supplies and order the nvg-50.  My buddy and I are going to convert two pvs14s on a KAC mount to this nvg-50.  Im a union electrician and hes a union plumber.  Its not the first time either of us have used tools by any means.  Just the first time assembling something like this.  Are there any videos or manuals online you could recommend that would help with this?  I know i have seem some PVS14 assembly videos on youtube.  Other than that i havent found too many.  Maybe the nvg-50 kit comes with instructions and i just didnt read the website close enough.

Thanks!
View Quote

@sheepdog697  I am a former electrician now electrician office puke. Mine should be here thursday, I can put together a pic tutorial. You might want to wait until the weekend to order, for another persons opinion on these. Mine but being that I am newb it will be a different perspective.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 12:04:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By IAm4:

@sheepdog697  I am a former electrician now electrician office puke. Mine should be here thursday, I can put together a pic tutorial. You might want to wait until the weekend to order, for another persons opinion on these. Mine but being that I am newb it will be a different perspective.
View Quote

Sounds good!
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 11:50:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I put in an order for a set of the 51 fov PVS-14 lenses.  As soon as I can get an RNVG housing ordered and delivered I'll get some pictures posted.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:53:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I emailed the manufacturer overseas the other day and they sent me drawings and assembly instructions. I will see about posting them.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:57:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:57:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Oops double post
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:14:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Nice this is what I was looking for. I wonder if the housings come with something like this.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:38:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By sheepdog697:

Nice this is what I was looking for. I wonder if the housings come with something like this.
View Quote

No, if you buy bare housings, my understanding is that it is assumed you are already an expert in the field and can perform proper tube installation and have the tools for proper installation. You're basically just buying bare parts and it is no different than buying bare car parts or parts for anything. The housing is a "kit", but only in the sense that it comes complete with everything the end user would need to get them going once the tubes are installed. You'll get a manual, but it will be about device operation, not building the device.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#10]
[...]When you say right up on, are we talking eyeball to glass or a finger or 2 inbetween? [...]
View Quote

BNVD-51 (FLIR version)
G24 at all the way rear position for my best eye comfort
PTS clone of mtek flux.
https://i.imgur.com/DVlq3ow.png
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 1:05:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

BNVD-51 (FLIR version)
G24 at all the way rear position for my best eye comfort
PTS clone of mtek flux.
View Quote

Awesome, thanks!

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 1:11:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Have we decided if these are the same as the flir?
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Seems extremely likely that at a minimum the housings are identical.
Probably not going to be a hard confirmation from anyone official.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 1:40:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By silentpea:

BNVD-51 (FLIR version)
G24 at all the way rear position for my best eye comfort
PTS clone of mtek flux.
View Quote

Awesome! I should have no problems then.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 2:58:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for this thread OP! Bought a set today, I may have bought the last one as they are out of stock now
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 2:59:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By silentpea:

BNVD-51 (FLIR version)
G24 at all the way rear position for my best eye comfort
PTS clone of mtek flux.
View Quote

Nice, how's the eye relief and usability of this setup?
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 4:05:40 PM EDT
[#17]
To set the stage for review: I've spent a grand total of ~1hr under nods, a little with some friends gen2 goggles (surplus aviation maybe?), the BNVD-40 (gen3 thin film green) ,  and an assortment of single PVS14s and the majority just running around the house with these new ones.

I cheaped out and went for an un-specified gen 3 tube, and personally I'm glad I went for the binoculars over a higher spec single tube system.
Eye relief is shorter than I'd like, so my normal shooting glasses touch the eyecups, but not enough to cause a problem yet.
I was afraid of fisheye/distortion from the 51deg optics, but honestly I don't really mind it. As the OP noted, it's not terrible and a bunch of years wearing less than perfect eyeglasses has made me tolerant.
Haven't gotten a chance to get out on the range or do any night hiking due to the current lockdown situation, so have a cell phone photo of my well lit suburban neighborhood:
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#18]
As promised.

Ops Core Carbon M/L
Wilcox G24
NVG-50 / NVG-40 &  AI Sentinel.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks Chosos

Why is everyone running the eye cups, do they not come off, lol
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 6:47:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By will-1:
Thanks Chosos

Why is everyone running the eye cups, do they not come off, lol
View Quote

Same question, as I really don't want the eyecups.

Everything I've seen that was "permanently afixed" or "retained at all times via mechanical means, e.g. tether" has magically been "made removable".

Just required a big enough pair of cutters.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#21]
they do come off, but on some of these smaller diameter lenses, you might actually prefer the eyecups. I will be curious about your feedback when you get them in hand.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 2:38:11 AM EDT
[#22]
has anyone tried driving with the 51' lenses - i hear they are slightly less than 1x mag -  does that affect  distance perception enough to make it harder to drive ?
if they work ok the extra field of view would be nice
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 9:59:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Do you think it’s worth it to take the tubes out of my loaner dual 14s and put in one of these housings?
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Not if you already have dual 14's.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:21:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By johnelot:
has anyone tried driving with the 51' lenses - i hear they are slightly less than 1x mag -  does that affect  distance perception enough to make it harder to drive ?
if they work ok the extra field of view would be nice
View Quote

The mag issue did not effect me when I was walking around for 30 mins. The wider view is okay, after seeing it I can live with out it. only time it is even really noticeable is when looking at things closer than 30 feet. Maybe if a tac situation the wider view could keep you alive but for normal use its not a huge deal. When looking at things further away I tended to look at the object, and center it in the view so the wider view did not matter.

Also they just raised the price on these by 350 bucks.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 11:37:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Got the PVS14 compatible AGM 51 lenses in today.   Housings are aluminum (or at least non magnetic mystery metal) and the glass looks pretty clear. The RNVG housing is 2 to 4 weeks out, so no thru the tube evaluation yet. Looking at engineering grid paper thru the glass, the objective fisheyes at the edges, the eyepiece optical element does not.

Holding both optical elements inline, it looks like the eyecup is going to be required to get a good picture given how much smaller the lens is. Slight fisheye at the very edge of the glass, but not over a majority of the increased FOV.

For a 100% unscientific test, at a distance of 11 feet from a wall, with the floor at the bottom edge of the fov, I can see my ceiling in the top edge (about 7'8" from floor to ceiling). With a PVS14 40 fov lens, I can only see a range of 6 feet, from floor to part way up the wall.

I'm really curious how this is going to look all assembled.

Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:34:50 AM EDT
[#27]
I have really only noticed fish eye effects if they are slightly off axis while viewing. If you have them lined up correctly, the image is quite good.

Very similar to eyeboxing issues with scopes.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 12:48:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Any issues with walking around with the 51s over the 40? Is it similar to your normal eyes or does it through you off? I’m trying to decided between the two.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 1:29:22 PM EDT
[#29]
so these housings are compatible with unmodified mx11769 tubes?
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#31]
At $1350 I agree, better options for not much more money. At the price of 1000 I paid I am happy enough that I will probably keep it.

I have about 2 hours on mine now, I have learned to live with the weight, and field of view. I was out walking under the trees the other night, bush wacking, not on a trail and had no issues with the mag or lack of magnification. the depth perception is good. When I got to a field I saw and IDed a deer about 200 yards away, just star light no moon. I could see it as a dark spot in the field.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:20:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By tlandoe07:
Updated to clarify that I don’t actually recommend these
View Quote

No dog in the fight, but an extra $450 is the breaking point?
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:38:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:22:19 PM EDT
[#34]

I think if they had better glass with correct coatings to prevent all the flaring, $1350 wouldn’t be a bad deal. But the artifacts are pretty significant and distracting. They basically take whatever your tubes halo is and multiply it by ten
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

No dog in the fight, but an extra $450 is the breaking point?

I think if they had better glass with correct coatings to prevent all the flaring, $1350 wouldn’t be a bad deal. But the artifacts are pretty significant and distracting. They basically take whatever your tubes halo is and multiply it by ten

Gotcha. That makes mor sense than the simple dollar figure difference. Your last update made it seem like the price increase was the final straw.

Like I said, no dog in the fight, but always interested in these topics.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:43:58 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

That’d be good to show in video or pics.

ETA: I saw your pics but the artifact didn’t look too terrible.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 7:57:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Why did OP nuke this thread? Thought it was good info.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:39:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By will-1:

That’d be good to show in video or pics.

ETA: I saw your pics but the artifact didn’t look too terrible. 
View Quote

The flair is there, best way I can describe it is dirty windshield. You know how when your windshield is dirty and a another car is 90 degrees from you and their lights hit your windshield you can "streaks" of light across. I can see it being a problem for some in a high light environment, but in my situation where i have basically no lights around me it does not bother me.

Is it perfect, no, it is worth the weight difference and the bino setup to me for 1000 yes. Call it the pvs 7 of dual tube binos, it has its flaws but for the price I can live with it, or use it as a stepping stone to something better.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:08:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By jwramp:
Why did OP nuke this thread? Thought it was good info.
View Quote

Too much misinterpretation that the AGM is just as good as domestic binos on the market. I didn’t try to frame the information that way, but it was overwhelmingly received as such. I’ve gotten over two dozen PMs from different guys trying to convince themselves these are good to go compared to an RNVG with mil spec glass.

AGM/Apache (importer) are undercutting quality, dependable American made products produced by American small businesses out of American materials.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 5:11:59 PM EDT
[#39]

Too much misinterpretation that the AGM is just as good as domestic binos on the market. I didn’t try to frame the information that way, but it was overwhelmingly received as such. I’ve gotten over two dozen PMs from different guys trying to convince themselves these are good to go compared to an RNVG with mil spec glass. 

AGM/Apache (importer) are undercutting quality, dependable American made products produced by American small businesses out of American materials.
View Quote

In this regard I'll have to bring this up:

What's the news with the Carson BNVD housing they teased during Shot 20? If it's priced right and DIY/builder friendly, this would be an exciting goggle.

ETA: USA made that is.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 5:20:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 5:27:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By TNVC:

Coming along well! Details are still be worked out, and YES MADE IN THE USA with no questionable oversees components. 
View Quote

Dang it Vic, I had my mind made up on the Artemis and now this, lol.

I know, I know, get both.....
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:19:03 PM EDT
[#42]

Too much misinterpretation that the AGM is just as good as domestic binos on the market. I didn’t try to frame the information that way, but it was overwhelmingly received as such. I’ve gotten over two dozen PMs from different guys trying to convince themselves these are good to go compared to an RNVG with mil spec glass. 

AGM/Apache (importer) are undercutting quality, dependable American made products produced by American small businesses out of American materials.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jwramp:
Why did OP nuke this thread? Thought it was good info.

Nonetheless JW is correct. The original content you posted was good and useful info and should not be self-censored. You could have amended the first post with a statement in ALL CAPS explaining what you just wrote here.

Wiping out useful information from public domain is what countries like China do.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:48:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By C3N4-1:

Nonetheless JW is correct. The original content you posted was good and useful info and should not be self-censored. You could have amended the first post with a statement in ALL CAPS explaining what you just wrote here. 

Wiping out useful information from public domain is what countries like China do.
View Quote

State censorship is not the same as self censorship. You are not entitled to my work
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:18:56 PM EDT
[#44]

State censorship is not the same as self censorship. You are not entitled to my work
View Quote

Never said I was entitled to your writing (prolly what you meant?). You are free to censor your own posts, sure.

Many of us are on here to learn and to share information about night vision devices with each other. Whenever I read a well-written and detailed post on a night vision device many are curious about (that most don't yet have access to), I appreciate that much more the community and growing knowledge base here that Vic and others have built. Whenever some of that information suddenly disappears, it diminishes that and feels less like the American ideal.

I, JW and others here actually LIKE what you wrote and found it useful. So please at least take that as the compliment it is intended to be.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#45]
As NVG-50's are now at 1350 a pop for the housing + optics.  Would you still recommend them over the RNVGs?  Also it's a bit difficult to tell from the pictures.  So do you see any significant degradation of resolution comparing between 40/51 degree FOV?
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
As NVG-50's are now at 1350 a pop for the housing + optics.  Would you still recommend them over the RNVGs?  Also it's a bit difficult to tell from the pictures.  So do you see any significant degradation of resolution comparing between 40/51 degree FOV?
View Quote

No, there are better options for not a lot more. As for resolution, very minor loss, like I have it side by side with other omni 7 tubes, and I think it might lose some but not really sure. Thats how minor it is. Probably if I had to give numbers it would be like taking a 64 line tube and making it a 62 line tube so not enough to really notice 99 % of the time.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 9:27:26 PM EDT
[#47]
What other housings would you recommend?  I was looking into these for the 51 degree FOV mainly.  I should be able to score a good deal on a set of anvis-6's.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 3:36:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

These type of questions are specifically why I nuked the thread
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 5:42:19 PM EDT
[#49]
I would be very interested in a US made 51 degree (or even larger) kit with the right coatings to eliminate the flare/halo/lasso effect.

Any info if the PVS14 51 degree kits have the same flare/halo/lasso as seen with NVG-50s?

Link Posted: 8/1/2020 5:57:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I would be very interested in a US made 51 degree (or even larger) kit with the right coatings to eliminate the flare/halo/lasso effect.

Any info if the PVS14 51 degree kits have the same flare/halo/lasso as seen with NVG-50s?

View Quote

It should be the same because AFAIK they’re the same.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top