Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2019 5:14:55 AM EDT
I don’t get too many delays. But just wondering has anyone had the atf contact you regarding if you transferred that delayed firearm (after Brady wait period) and they were going to go get it back because the customer was eventually denied.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 5:29:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Never been delayed. Did buy a gun at Cabela's and dude there picking his got delayed. Said it happened to him a lot. I said will get your LTC or Unique PIN. He asked what I was talking about for both. Told him get his carry license and no more of this shit or get UPI thus no more 3 day delay cause your name matches someone. He said well shit I am always delayed and didn't know there was a way around it. Yet he was a fudd.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 11:18:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry I should clarify.
I meant as an ffl. Do you get customers that get delayed.

Yarael
I actually did that when i moved to Arizona. I got a deny actually and was like wtf. Nics appeal was running 8months behind. So I found out az ccw foregos the background. Helped out quite a bit. And also when applying for my ffl also did.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 11:47:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes. Delays are common. Anyone who held a security clearance in the military depending on the level usually gets delayed. (ask me how I know LOL)  Certain government jobs with multiple clearances/schools/positions that ALL required the individual to submit to an additional background investigation will have multiple entries under one index number that is theirs alone. People who have been fingerprinted and those prints sent to the FBI will have an NCIC index number. In order to see if the prints were taken for the purpose of criminal justice (generally means arrest, charged with a crime) OR if it was job related or whatever they have to access the particular record to see why and what disposition there is if any. Some of these records the FBI will have. Others must be requested by the State. People fingerprinted for jobs like teachers and the like sometimes get delayed. Somebody spilled a big gulp in the office, people are cranky, big gun show weekend all incur delays too LOL.

It wasn't uncommon ro have a delay that the time ran out so it was legal to transfer. We would get a call approving the transfer after that or, never got a call at all. Denials happened here and there. Rare. People who had picked up their firearm and got denied after happened once or twice. Two customers I had (out of thousands of transfers/sales) one had his rights restored and it was hard as hell for him to get it fixed with the FBI. Finally went and got a State issued CCW. That fixed it. Another was a guy never had a criminal history had an error entered by the State of California. Months and they flat out wouldn't respond. He went to the State got a CCW and moved on.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 1:28:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had US Govt security clearance in the past, and I have never had an issue when I held it.
And, my primary employer at the time was filling out forms every 6 mo to verify employment.
I was finger printed by the FBI themselves.  That is a big wives tale that gets blown out of Proportion all the time.  Sounds like a valid excuse, but....
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 3:32:53 PM EDT
[#5]
To me it seems like everyone that has some sort of background or fingerprint done already just clears. And almost always if you have transferred a gun previously it’s usually instant approval.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 9:19:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes. Delays are common. Anyone who held a security clearance in the military depending on the level usually gets delayed. (ask me how I know LOL)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yes. Delays are common. Anyone who held a security clearance in the military depending on the level usually gets delayed. (ask me how I know LOL)
Uh, no.
100% myth.

Certain government jobs with multiple clearances/schools/positions that ALL required the individual to submit to an additional background investigation will have multiple entries under one index number that is theirs alone. People who have been fingerprinted and those prints sent to the FBI will have an NCIC index number. In order to see if the prints were taken for the purpose of criminal justice (generally means arrest, charged with a crime) OR if it was job related or whatever they have to access the particular record to see why and what disposition there is if any. Some of these records the FBI will have. Others must be requested by the State. People fingerprinted for jobs like teachers and the like sometimes get delayed. Somebody spilled a big gulp in the office, people are cranky, big gun show weekend all incur delays too LOL.
Dude, you typed all that and yet have absolutely zero knowledge of how an FBI NICS check works. Just stop.

A delay response from the NICS Section indicates the subject of the background check has been matched with either a state or federal potentially prohibiting record containing a similar name and/or similar descriptive features (name, sex, race, date of birth, state of residence, social security number, height, weight, or place of birth) contained in the National Crime Information Center, the Interstate Identification Index, and/or the NICS Indices. No one looks to check if the buyer has a security clearance, that just myth at best, bullshit at worst.

I have around a hundred regular customers who are current Federal LE/former mil with more secret clearances than you could shake a stick at. At least a dozen are current Secret Service on the Bush protective detail and several have been on POTUS details as well. NONE of them get delayed.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 5:39:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Small subset of the regulars gets delayed.
It's dropped off in the last couple of years and seemed to affect primarily LEOs or customers who weren't putting their social on the paperwork. A couple the regulars who were getting delayed got UPIN numbers. The inclusion of the drivers license number being asked also seems to have coincided with the decline of delays
ATF has called a couple of times over the years, but not usually about this issue
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Never been delayed. Did buy a gun at Cabela's and dude there picking his got delayed. Said it happened to him a lot. I said will get your LTC or Unique PIN. He asked what I was talking about for both. Told him get his carry license and no more of this shit or get UPI thus no more 3 day delay cause your name matches someone. He said well shit I am always delayed and didn't know there was a way around it. Yet he was a fudd.
View Quote
May work for some, not for me.  I’m delayed even with a UPIN, LTC doesn’t matter here in NM.  I’ve had one out of a bunch since my UPIN that wasn’t delayed.  I have a name common among criminals.  Same first middle, last and birthday minus the year with a murderer.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 8:44:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
May work for some, not for me.  I’m delayed even with a UPIN, LTC doesn’t matter here in NM.  I’ve had one out of a bunch since my UPIN that wasn’t delayed.  I have a name common among criminals.  Same first middle, last and birthday minus the year with a murderer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Submit a request for your Identity Check History and see if there is something there that needs to be addressed.  Just had a customer get an NFA application denied because his NICS check never resolves (delay-open-no resolution).  The letter he received regarding the application said to start with the FBI regarding ID history.

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks
(not sure about hotlinking the FBI, so I didn't.....)

Letter the customer received:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 6:51:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yes. Delays are common. Anyone who held a security clearance in the military depending on the level usually gets delayed. (ask me how I know LOL)  Certain government jobs with multiple clearances/schools/positions that ALL required the individual to submit to an additional background investigation will have multiple entries under one index number that is theirs alone. People who have been fingerprinted and those prints sent to the FBI will have an NCIC index number. In order to see if the prints were taken for the purpose of criminal justice (generally means arrest, charged with a crime) OR if it was job related or whatever they have to access the particular record to see why and what disposition there is if any. Some of these records the FBI will have. Others must be requested by the State. People fingerprinted for jobs like teachers and the like sometimes get delayed. Somebody spilled a big gulp in the office, people are cranky, big gun show weekend all incur delays too LOL.

It wasn't uncommon ro have a delay that the time ran out so it was legal to transfer. We would get a call approving the transfer after that or, never got a call at all. Denials happened here and there. Rare. People who had picked up their firearm and got denied after happened once or twice. Two customers I had (out of thousands of transfers/sales) one had his rights restored and it was hard as hell for him to get it fixed with the FBI. Finally went and got a State issued CCW. That fixed it. Another was a guy never had a criminal history had an error entered by the State of California. Months and they flat out wouldn't respond. He went to the State got a CCW and moved on.
View Quote
100% bad info man.... And you say it with such confidence... Scary to imagine what you think you know is true then spread it, although it's 100% fabrication.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 6:59:24 PM EDT
[#11]
When I got my Deny here in az, I had my brothers best friend look into it (he’s federal le) and he gave me a background check printout and it showed that whatever nonsense I had was “resolved” well that might not be the word used but it was showing as being dismissed or whatever. But it still have me a deny.

Now my other question is. Can I run a nics check on myself ? Just outta curiosity mainly to see if my crap was finally updated so it doesn’t deny anymore. Or is that against some rule? I would think not since I am operating under an llc and normally shud be running a nics check but our state ccw allows us to forego that like I previously stated.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 9:51:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
When I got my Deny here in az, I had my brothers best friend look into it (he’s federal le) and he gave me a background check printout and it showed that whatever nonsense I had was “resolved” well that might not be the word used but it was showing as being dismissed or whatever. But it still have me a deny.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Why did you not follow the procedure for a NICS Denial? While your brothers best friend might be able to produce a printout, its likely not the same information the FBI NICS was using to deny your transaction.

Now my other question is. Can I run a nics check on myself ?
Sure, fill out a 4473 and try to buy a gun.
But the FBI will revoke a dealers access if he's running NICS checks not pursuant to an actual firearms purchase. That means the buyer/transferee has to complete and sign a Form 4473. See the NICS Handbook.

Just outta curiosity mainly to see if my crap was finally updated so it doesn’t deny anymore. Or is that against some rule?
It is. The FBI doesn't want every hoodrat in America testing the system by doing a trial run of NICS. They want the signed 4473 because that shows intent to purchase.

I would think not since I am operating under an llc and normally shud be running a nics check but our state ccw allows us to forego that like I previously stated.  
Do you have the FBI NICS brochureto give to your denied customers?
Order them here: https://forms.fbi.gov/nics-resolution-card-request-for-ffls
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 8:05:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Why did you not follow the procedure for a NICS Denial? While your brothers best friend might be able to produce a printout, its likely not the same information the FBI NICS was using to deny your transaction.

It was 8months behind on nics appeal at that time. Was easier and quicker to get the Arizona ccw (I don’t know why az DPS was ok with the fingerprint check) and also when I did apply for my ffl I made them aware about this all as well because they called me. I guess whoever either in Virginia or here at the local office (maybe the local office) regarding the background. But it wasn’t a hassle.

Sure, fill out a 4473 and try to buy a gun.
But the FBI will revoke a dealers access if he's running NICS checks not pursuant to an actual firearms purchase. That means the buyer/transferee has to complete and sign a Form 4473. See the NICS Handbook.

Lol this is why I asked.

It is. The FBI doesn't want every hoodrat in America testing the system by doing a trial run of NICS. They want the signed 4473 because that shows intent to purchase.

Do you have the FBI NICS brochureto give to your denied customers?
Order them here: https://forms.fbi.gov/nics-resolution-card-request-for-ffls

Yes I do. I don’t have the “card” I actually print it out when appropriate and fold it in half for one side deny and one side day.
View Quote
In the blue....

Jacking a fellow members style....lol (DT? Ren? I don’t remember)
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 11:06:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Jacking a fellow members style....lol (DT? Ren? I don’t remember)
View Quote
Sorry, I don't know what you mean.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 11:07:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Submit a request for your Identity Check History and see if there is something there that needs to be addressed.  Just had a customer get an NFA application denied because his NICS check never resolves (delay-open-no resolution).  The letter he received regarding the application said to start with the FBI regarding ID history.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/20175/IMG-20190912-WA0000_jpg-1099749.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/20175/IMG-20190912-WA0000_jpg-1099749.JPG
Will do, thank you!   I’ve been denied for a suppressor as well, they just ran my name and didn’t process the fingerprints.  After a few calls they told me to, and it’s been a decade, resubmit or something and they expedited it.  Didn’t have any issues with them on my trust.  It’s been a pain in the ass!  Appreciate the help!
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 9:45:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Now my other question is. Can I run a nics check on myself ?
View Quote
If you have a CHL there's no need, the state is already doing it regularly, which is why the CHL lets you bypass NICS.  The state wouldn't have given you the CHL if you couldn't pass.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 10:24:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I have only been an FFL for a little while, have done BGC's for both CCL (CWP, whatever Concealed Carry permits are called in each state) and MIL.

Never had any delay, all checks completed within a minute or two.  FWIW.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 12:17:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Pretty much all of my Hispanic customers get delayed even if they provide a social security number. If they have a last name like Gonzalez, Ramirez, Gomez, Garza, Medina, Trevino, Salazar......they're all getting delayed.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:04:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I've only been an FFL for ~6 months, but tonight was the first time a customer has been delayed.  After I explained things to him and gave him a DELAY card, he was perfectly fine.

I ran the eCheck tonight, so I expected the Brady Date to be next THU (MON-WED being three full business days), but it gave me a Brady Date of FRI 11/15/2019.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:46:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've only been an FFL for ~6 months, but tonight was the first time a customer has been delayed.  After I explained things to him and gave him a DELAY card, he was perfectly fine.

I ran the eCheck tonight, so I expected the Brady Date to be next THU (MON-WED being three full business days), but it gave me a Brady Date of FRI 11/15/2019.
View Quote
Veterans Day
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 2:41:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Veterans Day
View Quote
D'oh! That's right.  Thanks.

Received the PROCEED later yesterday evening, so he's good to go.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 11:02:49 AM EDT
[#22]
When we set up at gun shows we typically get several delays a day. Have yet to have ATF call back with a deny, and about 1/3-1/2 of the customers come to our store after the 3 day period.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#23]
We had a couple guns we released after waiting for a response. 9 months later ATF called and asked if we transferred the guns we told them yes and that was that.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#24]
You did not ask for it but let let me tell you about delays. I had one delay that I allowed a transfer after 5 business days as the law allows. 3 months later FBI called and said the purchaser was denied.  Since I had already transferred the "items" they said contact ATF.  ATF said get the items back by contacting the transferee and let us know if he does not comply.  So now I am forced into doing their job.  I did it and it was a bitch. So now, I never let anything transfer unless I get a final from FBI. I will call and force them to give me a final determination. I let my customers know this in advance of a sale or transfer. It's their problem, not mine.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You did not ask for it but let let me tell you about delays. I had one delay that I allowed a transfer after 5 business days as the law allows. 3 months later FBI called and said the purchaser was denied.  Since I had already transferred the "items" they said contact ATF.  ATF said get the items back by contacting the transferee and let us know if he does not comply.  So now I am forced into doing their job.  I did it and it was a bitch. So now, I never let anything transfer unless I get a final from FBI. I will call and force them to give me a final determination. I let my customers know this in advance of a sale or transfer. It's their problem, not mine.
View Quote
Uh, what?
I've received that "denied" response weeks after the firearm was transferred. When they said "denied" I told them it was already transferred and they said "Thank you".

A licensee has zero responsibility to contact transferee to get the guns back.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 2:55:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Have never heard of them doing that.  That sounds fishy and it could be dangerous.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 10:18:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Uh, what?
I've received that "denied" response weeks after the firearm was transferred. When they said "denied" I told them it was already transferred and they said "Thank you".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Uh, what?

I can't remember how many I have had over the years probably only 3-5 tops but they all went exactly as you describe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top