Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:24:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Does anyone have any more experience with the can yet?
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 1:06:52 PM EDT
[#2]
silencer shop released their videos with some numbers
but not too much out as of yet
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 7:53:38 PM EDT
[#3]
question to stir the pot a little but what would the difference between a nomad L and a rex silentium mg10 308 be?

Rex mg10 308: 8.6"x1.7" 19 oz, 10 baffles, threaded omega pattern, ~$700

Nomad L: 8.4"x1.735", 18.3 oz, looks to be 9 baffles - could be 10, threaded omega pattern, ~$875

i don't think either are in the hands of the public yet and SS doesn't carry rex so no numbers will come from them
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 9:34:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
question to stir the pot a little but what would the difference between a nomad L and a rex silentium mg10 308 be?

Nomad L: 8.4"x1.735", 18.3 oz, looks to be 9 baffles - could be 10, threaded omega pattern, ~$875

i don't think either are in the hands of the public yet and SS doesn't carry rex so no numbers will come from them
View Quote
Main difference is materials used and the type of baffles in each.  The Nomad uses titanium and stainless while the MG10 is a fully stainless construction.  Unsure on the type of baffles used by either.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 9:45:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Main difference is materials used and the type of baffles in each.  The Nomad uses titanium and stainless while the MG10 is a fully stainless construction.  Unsure on the type of baffles used by either.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

understood but within the market that both of these cans are being sold to, does that tiny amount of titanium make a $175 difference?
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 9:53:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
understood but within the market that both of these cans are being sold to, does that tiny amount of titanium make a $175 difference?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Between the materials, machining, and current reputations, I’d say DA is worth the $175 more, easily.

At Rex sale prices, the decision would be a lot more difficult.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:03:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Between the materials, machining, and current reputations, I’d say DA is worth the $175 more, easily.

View Quote
I was going to say, the fringe benefit of Mageever has value
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:06:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
I believe the only Ti parts the Nomad has are the DT adapter and the front cap....
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:06:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:07:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hansohn Bro’s ARF prices don’t hurt either.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:09:56 PM EDT
[#11]
just so no one gets me wrong i love dead air, have 4 cans and contemplating getting a third mask to make it 5

but at the same time i'm looking at branching out past my sandman L and nomad for another 30 cal option, the resonator r2 caught my eye early on but so is the rex mg10 at this point
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:10:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
No single other company has a rep like Todd on here
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:13:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

well there is that company that starts with a G that likes to get the people going
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 11:36:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ray from Thunderbeast posts as well.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:19:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ray from Thunderbeast posts as well.
View Quote
Tis true
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:08:47 AM EDT
[#16]
You guys crack me up.  I do hope to be as cool as Ray someday.

Crap.  I think my wife even thinks of me as a fringe benefit lately.  Lol.

Anyway, an important differentiation between the Nomad and any of the other long cans mentioned is that the baffle stack is extremely different.  It's a multi chamber design that allows it a ton of sneaky advantages.  It works well on subs and it absolutely kills it as pressures rise.  It also is super low backpressure for such a long can. It's very friendly with dialing in a gas gun to be hearing safe.  It only drove up the the at-ear sound 1 dB over a normal Nomad-30 on our over-gassed 16" test mule using M193 ammo. The patent pending design of the baffle wedges gasses off the baffle face into the secondary chambers.  When pressure drops it has to move back across the bore so it disrupts gases from flowing backward down the can and into the barrel.  Traditional cone baffles (used in all mentioned) are good at acting like check valves that catch gasses going one direction, but when the chamber opens, their clear choice is to flow back down the funnels of those check valves and in to the barrel.

A good example of how efficient it is, is to compare it with a Full Nelson. It has 15 baffles (I think) vs. the Nomad's 10.  Both cans run about 120-122 dB with 300BLK subs.  They're statistically equivalent.  Ramp up the pressure with something like .308 and the Nomad-L is suddenly 6-9 dB ahead.  That's approaching half the sound at that point.  I'm guessing I just guaranteed an onslaught of social media barbs with that, but what the hell.

If I had to compare it to any other can, I'd say it's more like the CGS Hyperion.  If I can get close to the Hyperion performance, then I know I'm killing it.

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 2:56:28 PM EDT
[#17]
@mageever

A few quick questions:

Just to clarify, does the Nomad-30 have the unique baffle stack you're describing, or is it only on the Nomad L?

Also, as someone who shoots a lot of 308 AR-10 type semi-autos, which of the two Nomads should I expect to give me the best at-ear sound levels?  It seems they are pretty close on your "over-gassed" 5.56 you mentioned, but I'm not sure how different it would be on a 308 with an adjustable gas block.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 3:03:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
@mageever

A few quick questions:

Just to clarify, does the Nomad-30 have the unique baffle stack you're describing, or is it only on the Nomad L?

Also, as someone who shoots a lot of 308 AR-10 type semi-autos, which of the two Nomads should I expect to give me the best at-ear sound levels?  It seems they are pretty close on your "over-gassed" 5.56 you mentioned, but I'm not sure how different it would be on a 308 with an adjustable gas block.

Thanks
View Quote
I believe it's been said that the Nomad L is identical to the regular Nomad, just longer.

The Nomad L is definitely going to give you better at ear sound levels especially since you have an adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 11:21:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I believe it's been said that the Nomad L is identical to the regular Nomad, just longer.

The Nomad L is definitely going to give you better at ear sound levels especially since you have an adjustable gas block.
View Quote
Thanks.  I wasn't sure when @Mageever started talking about their patented baffle stack.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 3:23:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
I wouldn't count on it on an AR, adjustable gas blocks help, but action noise is probably still going to be the main driver for at ear levels.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 4:02:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I wouldn't count on it on an AR, adjustable gas blocks help, but action noise is probably still going to be the main driver for at ear levels.
View Quote
But the regular Nomad isn't going to bring at ear levels all the way down to just action noise. I wish it did, but it doesn't.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 11:29:43 PM EDT
[#22]
my backorder got filled today through silencershop. my serial # is over 500 so they are putting these out in pretty good quantities.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 1:36:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
my backorder got filled today through silencershop. my serial # is over 500 so they are putting these out in pretty good quantities.
View Quote

I'm sure that was a relief. How long ago did you put the order in?
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 5:32:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
But the regular Nomad isn't going to bring at ear levels all the way down to just action noise. I wish it did, but it doesn't.
View Quote

Sure it does.

Even in a well gassed AR, port noise is going be the dominant driver of at ear noise with most decently effective cans, if the L drives an increase in that port noise it won't matter to the shooters ear whether it's quieter at the muzzle. The question is whether increased backpressure from the extra baffles in the L will drive an increase in the port noise in an AR over the regular Nomad. Given that the L just has more of the same baffles, I'd guess they they probably come with a bit more pressure, but I haven't seen any at ear back to back metering yet.

Check out these videos from TBAC, why do you think the shooters ear numbers for the Ultra 5 are so much better than the much quieter Ultra 9?

Ultra 5 on Seekins SP10M 260 Rem Sound Test

Thunder Beast Ultra 9 on Seekins SP10M 260 Rem Sound Test
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 5:39:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm sure that was a relief. How long ago did you put the order in?
View Quote

1-30-20.
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top