Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2020 8:22:42 PM EDT
As I understand, in filling out the F4, I should put what's engraved on the silencer, correct?

I got a copy of the dealer-to-dealer paperwork from my dealer who's holding my silencers and those forms have BP Firearms Co LLC on them for the Dead Air cans.

I have NOT looked at my actual cans, just the boxes.

Also, on the paper form, there are no dashes in the serial #, eg, MAD0482.

So go back to my dealer and actually look at the cans?

And one more, do you have to put the mailing address of the mfr on the form, or just the CITY, STATE as engraved?
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 9:12:43 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have a copy of the form 3, then copy exactly what is in the boxes for question 3 which is the firearm information as that is what is currently in the registry.

is BP firearms, the parent company of Dead air, listed as the manufacturer or as the transferor?

Also, even though a serial might have dashes, the ATF ignores the dashes when recording the information.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:01:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have a copy of the form 3, then copy exactly what is in the boxes for question 3 which is the firearm information as that is what is currently in the registry.

is BP firearms, the parent company of Dead air, listed as the manufacturer or as the transferor?

Also, even though a serial might have dashes, the ATF ignores the dashes when recording the information.
View Quote

@firepyro515

BP Firearms Company LLC is in Column a as Manufacturer

I thought it's supposed to be what's ENGRAVED.

Also, on the F3, for my Nomad 30 the caliber is 30, but for my Sandmans it's 7.62.  wtf?
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:44:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Companies do business under different legal names.  For example, Griffin Armament is listed as Hearing Protection LLC on their paperwork.  As noted above, you need to copy what’s on the Form 3 as that’s how it is in the registry.

.30 and 7.62 is the same.  It’s all on how the person filling out the original paperwork chose to log the caliber.  Again, use what’s already existing.

The ATF doesn’t use dashes.  If a S/N has a dash, it gets omitted when it goes into the system, which only allows alpha numeric characters.  That’s normal.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:52:27 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks @willi3d
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 8:16:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

is BP firearms, the parent company of Dead air,
View Quote

I don't think BP has anything to do with Dead Air other than having manufactured their cans on a variance.
Thats why BP or BPI is listed as the manufacturer on early Dead Air silencers.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 8:26:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I don't think BP has anything to do with Dead Air other than having manufactured their cans on a variance.
Thats why BP or BPI is listed as the manufacturer on early Dead Air silencers.
View Quote

It may have changed, but at one point, BPI was their parent company, distributor, and manufacturer. Depending on the age of the silencer, it would make sense that the manufacturer would be listed as BP/BPI.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 9:05:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It may have changed, but at one point, BPI was their parent company, distributor, and manufacturer. Depending on the age of the silencer, it would make sense that the manufacturer would be listed as BP/BPI.
View Quote

Yeah, I would get Dead Air product direct from BP, but I think that was only because BP was making cans FOR Dead Air, not because they owned them. I just looked at the BPI Outdoors website and in the  About Us they make no mention of DA in their history.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 11:04:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah, I would get Dead Air product direct from BP, but I think that was only because BP was making cans FOR Dead Air, not because they owned them. I just looked at the BPI Outdoors website and in the  About Us they make no mention of DA in their history.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a bad break up
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 11:18:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Why isn’t your dealer filling out your form4?
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:38:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 12:52:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This ^^^^
View Quote

@HansohnBrothers   @Donut77donut   @DogtownTom   @firepyro515

I can't fault my "dealer", he doesn't do many transfers as he is an ammo manufacturer and was dong this as a favor.  I pointed out to him that the Form 3 says BPI and asked what I should do and he said he didn't really know.  The Form 3 doesn't even list the CITY, STATE of the mfr.

I went there yesterday and saw the silencers.  The Dead Air ones are engraved "Dead Air  Lawrenceville GA" and NO mention of BP Firearms.  

Given that the Form 3 says "BP Firearms Company LLC" (with no address), should I perhaps add in Item 4H Additional Description what is engraved on the tube?

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 12:54:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 1:05:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Copy the form 3 data exactly, do not deviate nor add extra information.
View Quote

Thanks @HansohnBrothers - these are my first SBRs and silencers.

So, NO address on my F4?  That's not gonna cause a prob at ATF?

And, I have 2 SBRs over there and there are no addresses for Colt or Beretta on the F3 either.

For the ARX SBR they have 20.75 as the OAL.  Ain't right but just use the F3 length?

I don't wanna have ATF reject this.

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 6:13:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm a huge fan of having the paperwork match what's engraved on the suppressor. I've transferred a number of suppressors like yours to customers and I fill out the form 4 to match the suppressor engraving, and then include a letter explaining what was listed on my form 3 (when the suppressor got transferred to me from either the distributor or manufacturer), which fields I changed on the form 4, and I include pictures of the suppressor showing that the engravings match the form 4 information. Never had one kicked back and my customer then gets approved paperwork that fully matches their suppressor.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm a huge fan of having the paperwork match what's engraved on the suppressor. I've transferred a number of suppressors like yours to customers and I fill out the form 4 to match the suppressor engraving, and then include a letter explaining what was listed on my form 3 (when the suppressor got transferred to me from either the distributor or manufacturer), which fields I changed on the form 4, and I include pictures of the suppressor showing that the engravings match the form 4 information. Never had one kicked back and my customer then gets approved paperwork that fully matches their suppressor.
View Quote

ATF needs to sit down and decide what it is that they really want. If its accurate information they need to enforce the "record what's marked on the firearm" policy and bitch slap those manufacturers who don't do that.

Several years ago I received a Beretta factory M4 SBS for transfer. Some idiot at Beretta did the original Form 3 with "11722" as the model, despite "M4" marked on the receiver. "11722" is the Beretta Product Code. Distributor and the selling dealer just copied the info. My customer wasn't happy as he was worried about the F4 matching the gun. I took pics of the receiver showing markings, pics of the box end flap and six months later ATF mailed me the Form 4 with correct info.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Several years ago I received a Beretta Benelli factory M4 SBS for transfer. Some idiot at Beretta Benelli did the original Form 3 with "11722" as the model, despite "M4" marked on the receiver. "11722" is the Beretta Benelli Product Code. Distributor and the selling dealer just copied the info. My customer wasn't happy as he was worried about the F4 matching the gun. I took pics of the receiver showing markings, pics of the box end flap and six months later ATF mailed me the Form 4 with correct info.
View Quote

Sorry, i just need to correct this, it was bothering me.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Several years ago I received a Beretta Benelli factory M4 SBS for transfer. Some idiot at Beretta Benelli did the original Form 3 with "11722" as the model, despite "M4" marked on the receiver. "11722" is the Beretta Benelli Product Code. Distributor and the selling dealer just copied the info. My customer wasn't happy as he was worried about the F4 matching the gun. I took pics of the receiver showing markings, pics of the box end flap and six months later ATF mailed me the Form 4 with correct info.

My bad.....but they did list the Beretta address on the Form 3.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

ATF needs to sit down and decide what it is that they really want. If its accurate information they need to enforce the "record what's marked on the firearm" policy and bitch slap those manufacturers who don't do that.

Several years ago I received a Beretta factory M4 SBS for transfer. Some idiot at Beretta did the original Form 3 with "11722" as the model, despite "M4" marked on the receiver. "11722" is the Beretta Product Code. Distributor and the selling dealer just copied the info. My customer wasn't happy as he was worried about the F4 matching the gun. I took pics of the receiver showing markings, pics of the box end flap and six months later ATF mailed me the Form 4 with correct info.
View Quote
My Mossberg 590A1 SBS is the same way. It's marked 590A1 on the receiver but the Form 3 was the SKU. The guys at the shop just replicated the SKU when we filled did the Form 4.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top