Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2024 8:59:37 AM EDT
I've owned all sorts of semi auto rifles, but never a bullpup.  Wasn't interested, didn't want to be interested, and I was happy shooting mostly ARs.  

But then I read some of the bullpup forum.  And watched some videos.  And saw Steyr AUGs on sale.  And then I had to have green, because DIE HARD.  But it was more money than the black, so I used this excuse not to buy.  I ran across the 9-Hole Reviews AUG video this past weekend, and both of the hosts speak highly of the rifle.

And then Battlehawk Armory cuts the price of the green one too.  So this morning I ordered a green NATO version.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 9:06:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 10:32:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Our 12 Step Program meets on Saturday afternoons.

At the range.

Bring your AUG...

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome man, think you'll be happy you joined the cult - er, club.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:07:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:
Welcome to the party pal!
View Quote
Yup!!!!

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:47:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By BPR:
So this morning I ordered a green NATO version.
View Quote

Good score.  Post a pic if you can.
Have you thought about optics yet?
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:19:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By hobo:

View Quote

Will post when it comes in.

Optics- if I were looking for most utility, I'd probably go with a Vortex Razor 1-6.  But, that seems too modern and "normal" for the AUG.  I've thought about using an Eotech XPS2-0, as I prefer it to most any other 1x optic.  But, I'm leaning towards a TA31H Acog.  I think that would be a perfectly usable optic, while still following the form of the AUG.

For short term I'll probably stick a Trijicon MRO on it- because I have one sitting in the safe right now waiting for a rifle.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 4:09:59 PM EDT
[#7]
They multiply, be careful , just snagged the Aug here in EE last week

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:38:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spydercomonkey] [#8]

Optics- if I were looking for most utility, I'd probably go with a Vortex Razor 1-6.  But, that seems too modern and "normal" for the AUG.  I've thought about using an Eotech XPS2-0, as I prefer it to most any other 1x optic.  But, I'm leaning towards a TA31H Acog.  I think that would be a perfectly usable optic, while still following the form of the AUG.

For short term I'll probably stick a Trijicon MRO on it- because I have one sitting in the safe right now waiting for a rifle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hobo:

ACOG + AUG = ACAUG

Definitely a great combo. Id recommend the ACOG TA02; its the LED powered version of the TA31 4X. LED offers a lot better brightness control then trit/fiber, and the LED model allows forward mounting the red dot. ACOG also can be direct mounted to the Corvus rail, which saves you 4oz by deleting the mount, and lowers the ACOG by ~10mm to allow better ergos when piggybacking RDS.

Not my rifle, but great example pic of TA02 + Corvus rail ACAUG. (although this one looks mounted a bit far back)

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 7:55:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BPR] [#9]
Attachment Attached File

Picked up at the ffl today.  Has a Steyr USA inspection letter in the box dated 2/14/24, so it hasn’t been sitting long. Trigger is much better than I expected.

Mold date code inside the stock is August ‘20 though.  Strange to have such a gap in time.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:11:08 AM EDT
[#10]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/44835/IMG_0902_jpeg-3156554.JPG

Picked up at the ffl today.  Has a Steyr USA inspection letter in the box dated 2/14/24, so it hasn’t been sitting long. Trigger is much better than I expected.

Mold date code inside the stock is August ‘20 though.  Strange to have such a gap in time.
View Quote

Congrats man, looks great.

I hope you find it as addicting a platform as we do
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#11]
After taking the new AUG apart I'm impressed with how unconventional it is.  But there were some surprises-

1)   the hammer is plastic!  wow.  I'm surprised they hold up as well as they do.  

2)  Nato stock- I'm not convinced I made a good choice.  I went with the NATO stock obviously to avoid having to buy AUG mags.  But, after playing with the rifle, a bolt release would be nice.  The other strange thing about the NATO stock is how easy it is to drop the magazine by pressing the keyhole shaped latch above the magazine.  I don't expect this to cause me to inadvertently drop magazines, but I'm surprised Steyr didn't make this latch a little less accessible.  But, for me the AUG is a range toy- so no sweat either way.

3)  I really like the disassembly.  It's hard to believe it's almost a 50 year old design.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:49:09 PM EDT
[#12]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/44835/IMG_0902_jpeg-3156554.JPG

Picked up at the ffl today.  Has a Steyr USA inspection letter in the box dated 2/14/24, so it hasn't been sitting long. Trigger is much better than I expected.

Mold date code inside the stock is August '20 though.  Strange to have such a gap in time.
View Quote
This is a VERY GOOD THING!
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:51:28 PM EDT
[#13]
After taking the new AUG apart I'm impressed with how unconventional it is.  But there were some surprises-

1)   the hammer is plastic!  wow.  I'm surprised they hold up as well as they do.  

2)  Nato stock- I'm not convinced I made a good choice.  I went with the NATO stock obviously to avoid having to buy AUG mags.  But, after playing with the rifle, a bolt release would be nice.  The other strange thing about the NATO stock is how easy it is to drop the magazine by pressing the keyhole shaped latch above the magazine.  I don't expect this to cause me to inadvertently drop magazines, but I'm surprised Steyr didn't make this latch a little less accessible.  But, for me the AUG is a range toy- so no sweat either way.

3)  I really like the disassembly.  It's hard to believe it's almost a 50 year old design.
View Quote
Here is the cool thing....you don't even have to take the barrel out of the action.  Just yank the action from the stock.  The barrel extension is RIGHT THERE.  I sure with the M16 was so easy to clean there!
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:07:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Your life will never be the same.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:17:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#15]
Originally Posted By desertmoon:
Here is the cool thing....you don't even have to take the barrel out of the action.  Just yank the action from the stock.  The barrel extension is RIGHT THERE.  I sure with the M16 was so easy to clean there!
View All Quotes

You don't even have to do that.  Cleaning an AUG is pretty optional - suggested every few thousand rounds or so if you feel like it.  And when you do clean it, the only part that you actually need to clean is the gas system.  Pull off the little plug (btw, the rear take-downpin/sling point becomes a tool to help with doing doing just that, which most people don't know).  Pull out the short stroke piston, and clean.  That's about it.  Putting a little oil on the bolt/ lugs / cage-thing I suppose is a good idea from time to time.  AUG's aren't high maintenance - at all, and probably the single most neglect-tolerant gun their is short of an AK.  While I eye-roll at the over-zeal for chrome lined BBL's, not going to lie, the AUG's chrome lined barrel basically doesn't foul, and is stupid easy to clean that shiny non-sticky chrome bore.

(all that said, right now, I actually like the RDB even better - only bullpup I can say that with).
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 12:02:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a tr24 green triangle on mine in a LaRue mount works pretty well, but I think a Acog may be better.
A set of the red trigger springs are worth the money.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 7:19:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 3-gun:
I have a tr24 green triangle on mine in a LaRue mount works pretty well, but I think a Acog may be better.
A set of the red trigger springs are worth the money.
View Quote

Dryfiring with the MRO on the rifle, I didn't think the trigger broke that bad- at least compared to what I've always heard should be expected from bullpups.  But I swapped out the MRO for a Nightforce NX8 and dry firing at targets out to 300 yards or so- my mind has changed.  It's pretty bad! I intend to shoot it some with the NX8 to see what kind of groups the rifle is capable of, but I may go back to the MRO.  With an AR, I've never given second thought to the weight difference between a dot and LPVO, but with the AUG being so light and compact, it's noticable.

I may check out those red trigger springs.  Thanks!

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:08:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

You don't even have to do that.  Cleaning an AUG is pretty optional - suggested every few thousand rounds or so if you feel like it.  And when you do clean it, the only part that you actually need to clean is the gas system.  Pull off the little plug (btw, the rear take-downpin/sling point becomes a tool to help with doing doing just that, which most people don't know).  Pull out the short stroke piston, and clean.  That's about it.  Putting a little oil on the bolt/ lugs / cage-thing I suppose is a good idea from time to time.  AUG's aren't high maintenance - at all, and probably the single most neglect-tolerant gun their is short of an AK.  While I eye-roll at the over-zeal for chrome lined BBL's, not going to lie, the AUG's chrome lined barrel basically doesn't foul, and is stupid easy to clean that shiny non-sticky chrome bore.

(all that said, right now, I actually like the RDB even better - only bullpup I can say that with).
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

This is TRUE!  AUGs stay amazingly clean!
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:04:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File

And yes, the flash hider did smoke the front bag.  Put two perfect tears in it right at the 4 and 8 o’clock ports.  I was too busy getting a picture to realize he had folded the front grip down.  I shot it with the grip horizontal.  

Range day!  Between my 14 year old son and I we put about 120 rounds through the new aug.  for the first magazine I had the gas set on "adverse’ accidentally.   Function was fine, but I was surprise at the recoil and the distance the empty cases were ejecting.  Tuned the plug to normal for the remaining rounds and the rifle was much smoother.  I used a couple different pmags and a usgi 30.  Function was perfect with m193, pmc 55g, and some other 55g reloads.  

I like it!
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:57:13 PM EDT
[#20]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/44835/IMG_0945_jpeg-3161057.JPG

And yes, the flash hider did smoke the front bag.  Put two perfect tears in it right at the 4 and 8 o'clock ports.  I was too busy getting a picture to realize he had folded the front grip down.  I shot it with the grip horizontal.  

Range day!  Between my 14 year old son and I we put about 120 rounds through the new aug.  for the first magazine I had the gas set on "adverse' accidentally.   Function was fine, but I was surprise at the recoil and the distance the empty cases were ejecting.  Tuned the plug to normal for the remaining rounds and the rifle was much smoother.  I used a couple different pmags and a usgi 30.  Function was perfect with m193, pmc 55g, and some other 55g reloads.  

I like it!
View Quote
Nice.

Wanna cheap trigger job?  Go get some PB Blaster Teflon Dry Lube and hose down the inside of the stock, the trigger pack and the trigger.  Do that every third of fourth cleaning.  My trigger is VERY respectable and is still very safe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top