Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2020 1:10:58 PM EDT
Hey yall waiting on parts to build a jig so thought Id post up something on a DSHK Im building. Its gonna be a long term project so this may take a while.

I do have a 07/02 so this build will be a POST SAMPLE MACHINE GUN. If you dont have the proper paperwork to do this kind of thing, dont! Doing this without the right Fed OKs is an easy trip to pound me in the ass prison not to mention if you dont know what you are doing you could die!

So, Ive got a complete torch cut DSHK kit I got from a buddy of mine. I have the barrel chambered and sleeved to 50 BMG. I do have a stash of Russian 50 but nowhere near enough to keep this thing happy. The torch cuts arent too bad and thankfully they arent in the bolt lock up area!
I have cleaned up all the slag and prepped the cuts for welding.

In the pix below I have the gun mocked up as it would be as if finished I do this for two reasons 1.It looks cool!! and 2. the parts in their correct locations will give me spacing on where everything goes. An example of this would be the feed tray and top cover give me the distance that the middle cut should be.
Shameless plug, I go in depth on this in my book but I wont do that here so folks wont be tempted.

As for my jig Im going to do one similar to the RPD jigs Ive used, on a much bigger scale. Its basically flat steel bars that go into the receiver channels that when bolted together firmly grip the receiver parts in the right locations. Ill use strips on copper do form backers to the welds so they dont go through into the receiver area. Ive used this technique many times before and it works pretty well.  
Im still waiting on jig materials so I cant quite start on it yet.

So here are some pix. I should note the ass end of the receiver is out for engraving right now so its not in the pix but I do have it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 2:19:05 PM EDT
[#1]
After a bad experience with a RPD reweld I always worry about the heat soak from cutting ruining the hardness of the locking area. If you have hardness testing files go ahead and double check. Make sure to remotely single-fire the first five or ten rounds as well - check for excessive stretching of the brass.

Other than that - cool project! I haven't seen one get built in probably twenty years now. I bet I still have a 12.7x108 barrel kicking around the shop.

Tula still makes ammo too. It's imported by one or two outfits in the USA. Spendy and brass cased but available.

ETA: Book?

Shameless plug, I go in depth on this in my book but I wont do that here so folks wont be tempted.
View Quote

Which book is that? Message me if you're uncomfortable mentioning the title here.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 2:27:47 PM EDT
[#2]
The hardness Im not too worries about as the locking shoulders didnt really take any heat from cutting. I may have it treated though.
My solid protocol when building any MG is single round, check it, three rounds, check it, 10 rounds, check it them a belt of 50 or so. Its always me who fires them first thaht way if there is a malfunction its all on me so to speak.
Ive build a shit ton of MGs but never this type. Im really looking forward to it. Just finished a KPV but cant test it out till I get a mount for it.

The book is on Amazon "A Quick Guide To Machine Gun Maintenance". I have a second in the series ready but it needs a final edit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome. Can’t wait for this thread to progress.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 2:40:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The hardness Im not too worries about as the locking shoulders didnt really take any heat from cutting. I may have it treated though.
My solid protocol when building any MG is single round, check it, three rounds, check it, 10 rounds, check it them a belt of 50 or so. Its always me who fires them first thaht way if there is a malfunction its all on me so to speak.
Ive build a shit ton of MGs but never this type. Im really looking forward to it. Just finished a KPV but cant test it out till I get a mount for it.

The book is on Amazon "A Quick Guide To Machine Gun Maintenance". I have a second in the series ready but it needs a final edit.
View Quote

Sounds like you've got it in hand. As I mentioned - that RPD reweld going sideways on me made me question any cut kit where the locking area is part of the receiver itself. Most likely it'll be fine but if you have the files to check hardness it's a five second step.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 10:00:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Thats good advice for sure. Ive fucked up and RPD before and I feel your pain. Not every build can be a beautiful work of art
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 2:11:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thats good advice for sure. Ive fucked up and RPD before and I feel your pain. Not every build can be a beautiful work of art
View Quote

I should probably invest in a roll stamp.

"Not every build can be a beautiful work of art"

Right along the side of anything that turns out less than ideal. Perfect answer!

ETA: I should add that I'm not being mean-spirited. I'm chuckling right along with you.

Lord knows I've made my share of 6' guns.

As long as you don't get closer than 6' they look fine.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Please tell me you have an AA mount to put this on! Very cool build.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 2:30:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I should probably invest in a roll stamp.

"Not every build can be a beautiful work of art"

Right along the side of anything that turns out less than ideal. Perfect answer!

ETA: I should add that I'm not being mean-spirited. I'm chuckling right along with you.

Lord knows I've made my share of 6' guns.

As long as you don't get closer than 6' they look fine.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2020 2:30:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Please tell me you have an AA mount to put this on! Very cool build.
View Quote

Its going on a T72. Much better than an AA mount
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 2:38:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Can you partially submerge the receiver in water while you are welding on it?  Is there some sort of heat sink putty that you can use to "wall-off" portions of the receiver that you don't want becoming too hot?
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Tag, and I ordered the book on amazon.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 2:44:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Its going on a T72. Much better than an AA mount
View Quote

I guess... if that is all you have.

Can’t wait to see!
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 2:49:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Can you partially submerge the receiver in water while you are welding on it?  Is there some sort of heat sink putty that you can use to "wall-off" portions of the receiver that you don't want becoming too hot?
View Quote

With these the name of the game is to go slow and not sink too much heat into it
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 2:50:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks man
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 3:29:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:  The hardness Im not too worries about as the locking shoulders didnt really take any heat from cutting. I may have it treated though.

View Quote

Thanks, OP.  Ordered.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 7:26:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Cool project!
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 3:00:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Do you pre-heat the receiver before welding, and temper it after you are done?  Do you know what the material is?
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 4:07:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I don’t mess with it before I weld, heating wise. No clue what the metal is but if it’s like other Russian guns I’ve done it was made with melted tin cans and hub caps.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Got some other metal for the jig and machined them to fit
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 3:29:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Cool as hell, can't wait to see updates
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 3:11:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 7:26:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Reading your description of CETME's/HK's delayed blowback system I'm a little confused.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:08:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Tag.

Good to see another project.

Remind me, how does this thing lock up? I know the RPD and DPM have the flaps on the bolt. What is the locking system on the DSHK?
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:32:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Very cool!  For true authenticity you need the tan/green/primer rattle can painted Toyota Hilux with field improvised bed mount.

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By notso:
Tag. 

Good to see another project.

Remind me, how does this thing lock up? I know the RPD and DPM have the flaps on the bolt. What is the locking system on the DSHK?
View Quote

Same thing - but even bigger.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:35:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By notso:
Tag. 

Good to see another project.

Remind me, how does this thing lock up? I know the RPD and DPM have the flaps on the bolt. What is the locking system on the DSHK?
View Quote

It’s the exact same lock up. It uses flaps as well
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:36:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By GonvilleBromhead:
Very cool!  For true authenticity you need the tan/green/primer rattle can painted Toyota Hilux with field improvised bed mount.

https://gamepedia.cursecdn.com/dayz_gamepedia/thumb/5/59/Arma2_GUE_offroad.jpeg/300px-Arma2_GUE_offroad.jpeg?version=ded51a67e177984c1f9ebfc2c3a181d9

View Quote

I’d love to do that. I really dig the hilux! We are gonna put it on a T72 though.
Hopefully I can start again next week, if my jig parts ever get here
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top