Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2019 12:59:16 AM EDT
I've been intrigued by the SIG and Q cans with their tubeless designs.

Does anyone know how they are put together and if it is even feasible as a DIY?
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 2:11:02 AM EDT
[#1]
They're CNC TIG or laser welded

You can do it if you have a lathe and a decent TIG.  It's how all of my rifle can cores are put together, and a couple I have that are tubeless designs

Link Posted: 1/9/2019 7:39:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You can do it if you have a lathe and a decent TIG.  It's how all of my rifle can cores are put together, and a couple I have that are tubeless designs

https://i.imgur.com/S17MHK5.jpg
View Quote
My God that is a work of art
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wow, awesome! Do you have more pics of your work?

I saw on a SIG video where they show a snippet of a suppressor being built.

Appears like they stack the baffles and caps together, drop it in a press to squeeze them together, then it goes to get welded.

I saw Q had a welding set up that appeared to be very small able to be placed on top a desk. Any idea if this is a commercial off the shelf item or a custom built rig?
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 12:06:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Of course!  Lol.  Unfortunately, a lot of them were on my last phone, which died beyond recovery of anything in it.

The one above was a stubby .30 cal F1 can I recored for a local deputy.  Only 7 baffles, but it worked out pretty well for the length.  Before welding:

Quoted:

I saw on a SIG video where they show a snippet of a suppressor being built.

Appears like they stack the baffles and caps together, drop it in a press to squeeze them together, then it goes to get welded.

I saw Q had a welding set up that appeared to be very small able to be placed on top a desk. Any idea if this is a commercial off the shelf item or a custom built rig?
There's more than one way to skin a cat.  I'm planning to build a variable speed power unit to rotate the baffle assembly, but at this time still do it manually.  I use a rotary indexer to hold a rod which aligns the baffles

Each baffle has a stepped shoulder which fits snugly into the baffle behind it.  Basically self-aligning as long as they're under tension, but still have to watch for distortion when welding.  I tack each baffle every 90°, then do the circumferential welds, letting it cool and re-tightening the nut on the rod before each weld.  The front cap is last, and the stack comes off the fixture and goes back in the lathe to make sure the face is true before welding the cap on.  Most of the time I cut the threads on the front cap after welding.

Link Posted: 1/9/2019 2:09:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Amazing. Thanks for the detailed response!
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 9:04:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nice welding job!
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:57:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Of course!  Lol.  Unfortunately, a lot of them were on my last phone, which died beyond recovery of anything in it.

The one above was a stubby .30 cal F1 can I recored for a local deputy.  Only 7 baffles, but it worked out pretty well for the length.  Before welding:

https://i.imgur.com/SxoSnbr.jpg

There's more than one way to skin a cat.  I'm planning to build a variable speed power unit to rotate the baffle assembly, but at this time still do it manually.  I use a rotary indexer to hold a rod which aligns the baffles

https://i.imgur.com/N4aS9hs.jpg

Each baffle has a stepped shoulder which fits snugly into the baffle behind it.  Basically self-aligning as long as they're under tension, but still have to watch for distortion when welding.  I tack each baffle every 90°, then do the circumferential welds, letting it cool and re-tightening the nut on the rod before each weld.  The front cap is last, and the stack comes off the fixture and goes back in the lathe to make sure the face is true before welding the cap on.  Most of the time I cut the threads on the front cap after welding.

https://i.imgur.com/9ICajlQ.jpg
View Quote
Strongly consider a pedal type switch on the rotary welding chuck along with a potentiometer to control speed. It makes a huge difference, I've found.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Interesting, taggy.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 7:40:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's one I did

Here's a vid of the welding and rig I made.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Do you make the cones any thicker when you build one that way?
Mind if I ask what thickness you went with?
Any would there be any technical reason that a tubeless welded stack couldn’t have removable ends?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Do you make the cones any thicker when you build one that way?
Mind if I ask what thickness you went with?
Any would there be any technical reason that a tubeless welded stack couldn’t have removable ends?
This is basically what I went from. I revised a tad, but not too much.
A centerfire can doesn't need to be serviced. Other than trying it out on my 22lr, bolt rifle, a couple of times, it lives on my 10.3" carbine.

Quoted:This is awesome. What are the baffles made of?
The entire thing is from 17-4PH
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:I wasn’t concerned about it being serviceable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:I wasn’t concerned about it being serviceable.
Ok, I misunderstood. Sure. No reason the end cap couldn't have threads. Same goes for the mount. I executed it the way I did simply because it was made specifically to live on that particular carbine.

I could see another option, whereby you make a welded stack that slides into one of the modular tubes you already own. Your mount and end cap options would already be available. Obviously, this wouldn't have the same weight saving benefit, but I was just throwing examples around.

Quoted:Thanks for the PDF. What length/weight did you end up with? I think I see 6.5” on the F1?
I think it ended up being 6.2ish and weighs 16oz. I know I could have thinned some areas out, reducing weight, but 16oz isn't heavy and it was built to be used.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Strongly consider a pedal type switch on the rotary welding chuck along with a potentiometer to control speed. It makes a huge difference, I've found.
View Quote
Hand held speed control is the plan.  Trying to run two potentiometer pedals at once is a good way to change the thing you didn't intend to!
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 2:07:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:Strongly consider a pedal type switch
View All Quotes
Quoted:Strongly consider a pedal type switch
Quoted:Hand held speed control is the plan.  
I used a PWM (pulse width modulator) for control of the motor. It's a small, 9VDC powered, gear reduction motor. I further reduced the ratio with a small drive gear and large final. I got it as low as a 1/2 revolution per minute.

I made a fixture to hold the torch using a magnetic indicator base.
I align the torch, turn it on, flip the motor switch.
A 4" piece of welding glass is fixed above so the weld can be observed.

The welding rig's base is a piece of SS, deep strut channel.
I keep the mag base touching it and the electrode square to the work.
Once the tip distance is set, I can just slide the mag base down to the next weld and be ready to go.

If I were to do this for production, I'd probably get a cheap and/or used lathe. Nothing special. Just a live center in the tailstock and the torch attached to the carriage.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Hand held speed control is the plan.  Trying to run two potentiometer pedals at once is a good way to change the thing you didn't intend to!
View Quote
Oh, that makes sense. I don't use a pedal when I use TIG, I've always preferred the button style. Plus, a lot of the time I'm using the rotary welding fixture, I'm using oxy/acet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top