Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2022 8:32:41 AM EDT

I have a range on my property and in the interest of conserving my finite lead supply and minimizing contamination on my land, I would like to try trapping my bullets to the extent possible.

Have any of you done this in a satisfactory way?

I am thinking maybe even just a plywood box filled with sand or shredded tires might work ok.

I'll do my own research too but I thought some of you might be ahead of me on this.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 8:58:50 AM EDT
[#1]
My old boss built one for test firing ak47s. He used the c setup. For a large steel tube he had. It worked but the rifle was on a jig so it was always fixed position.

It worked but you would want an access panel so you could inspect it periodically.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:23:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Not sure how invested you want to get, but I will build one like this at some point. Charlie never disappoints when he documents a project.

Part 1 is just him testing how bullets deflect off of an angled piece of steel into his old trap.

https://www.thereloadersnetwork.com/2018/06/27/building-a-new-lead-catcher-w-no-plans-on-the-internet-little-information-hmmmm-part-1/?channel=charliebrassstuffer

https://www.thereloadersnetwork.com/2018/07/15/new-pistol-target-backstop-_-it-works-part-2/?channel=charliebrassstuffer
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:45:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I made a 24" plywood box filled with rubber mulch.  No bullet ever escaped.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:46:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes!

I do like that well casing spin them til their done design and have thought about them for years.  

I would love to recover and keep recasting my lead over and over!
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 6:22:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a 5 gallon bucket full of rubber tire mulch.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:30:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure how invested you want to get, but I will build one like this at some point. Charlie never disappoints when he documents a project.

Part 1 is just him testing how bullets deflect off of an angled piece of steel into his old trap.

https://www.thereloadersnetwork.com/2018/06/27/building-a-new-lead-catcher-w-no-plans-on-the-internet-little-information-hmmmm-part-1/?channel=charliebrassstuffer

https://www.thereloadersnetwork.com/2018/07/15/new-pistol-target-backstop-_-it-works-part-2/?channel=charliebrassstuffer
View Quote

The only thing I question is that long tail that sticks into the round well casing.  Other designs I saw didn’t intrude into the pipe like that to let the bullet spin out it’s energy before falling into the bucket.  

I definitely see the benefit of the bullet going around and striking the intruding plate to shatter it for an easy melt.  The downside being more lead dust and maybe the cumulative effect of the bullet strikes eventually cracking that weld apart after only getting that 87% circumference ride.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I love the steel catcher and I will eventually build something like that.

For now I think I'll just fill a box with rubber mulch and go to town.

Thanks for the info y'all!
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have a range on my property and in the interest of conserving my finite lead supply and minimizing contamination on my land, I would like to try trapping my bullets to the extent possible.

Have any of you done this in a satisfactory way?

I am thinking maybe even just a plywood box filled with sand or shredded tires might work ok.

I'll do my own research too but I thought some of you might be ahead of me on this.
View Quote

Not cheap, but this is the easy button: https://www.thebulletbunker.com/

I just bought one for a basement pistol range I'm building. Still framing out the walls, have yet to install the ballistic panels or the HVAC. Probably a few months from completion. It's a well built trap. I may get another for outdoor use, to keep the lead out of my trees and dirt ...
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:27:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Savage Arms made one back in the day that would handle damn near anything: big opening reminiscent of a Wood/Brush Chipper that spiraled into a snail Drum sort of collector.
I have a Commercial made .22 Bullet Trap and that has a 45 degree plate and a C shape at the bottom; collect the bullets just fine, but there's always spatter that peppers the target from behind and leaved lead dust on the floor in front of it...not a deal breaker, especially if I want to shoot in the Winter, but there's got to be a better set up.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes...I have a pretty good trap.  It is a double stack of 2 x 12's separated by 12" of sand.  Each end is attached to a tree to hold it up.  It is 6' high.  Nothing has ever gone through the back layer of 2 x 12s.  Even a Serbu 50 cal at 50 yards.  That's a lot of energy to absorb, but it did it easily.  It's time to replace most of the boards after 5 years of shooting.  I have had to replace a few but now they all look pretty pourous with .22, 9mm, .45 and .30 holes.

There's a reason the army uses 12" sand bags
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:24:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 3:46:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yes...I have a pretty good trap.  It is a double stack of 2 x 12's separated by 12" of sand.  Each end is attached to a tree to hold it up.  It is 6' high.  Nothing has ever gone through the back layer of 2 x 12s.  Even a Serbu 50 cal at 50 yards.  That's a lot of energy to absorb, but it did it easily.  It's time to replace most of the boards after 5 years of shooting.  I have had to replace a few but now they all look pretty pourous with .22, 9mm, .45 and .30 holes.

There's a reason the army uses 12" sand bags
View Quote

My buddy has a similar set up .
We skinned it 2 layers of 1/4" thick by 48" wide conveyor belting on the face and it's holding up extremely well.
I get it from work for free(worn out from concrete crushers)
If you're near a quarry or recycling center they will probably give away for free.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 6:49:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Savage Arms made one back in the day that would handle damn near anything: big opening reminiscent of a Wood/Brush Chipper that spiraled into a snail Drum sort of collector.
I have a Commercial made .22 Bullet Trap and that has a 45 degree plate and a C shape at the bottom; collect the bullets just fine, but there's always spatter that peppers the target from behind and leaved lead dust on the floor in front of it...not a deal breaker, especially if I want to shoot in the Winter, but there's got to be a better set up.
View Quote

Have you considered using something in front of the angled plate to slow stuff down a good bit before impact? I'm thinking something like one of those self-sealing shoot-thru plastic-ish targets...
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 7:59:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Have you considered using something in front of the angled plate to slow stuff down a good bit before impact? I'm thinking something like one of those self-sealing shoot-thru plastic-ish targets...
View Quote

As I posted above,  rubber conveyor belting does an excellent job of slowing down projectiles.
The only drawback is the weight, but the best part is that worn out belting can be usally acquired for free.
Best targets we ever made were B 27 silhouettes cut wit a cheap jigsaw and glued together with construction adhesive (liquid nails) to make them 2" thick, hung from garbage picked swing set frames.
Zero splash at 2 yards,  reactive, and minimal back stop needed.
Cheap white marking paint to refresh.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top