Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2018 9:05:35 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 9:40:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd say..No!   The DIAS is a MG in the ATF's eyes as it is a stand alone item.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 9:41:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 10:11:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A registered DIAS is a machine gun. A non registered DIAS is just a couple pieces of metal with a spring.  A registered transfer bar for an m2 carbine is a machine gun, but an unregistered transfer bar is just a part. Same for an HK auto sear.

Just like any of those other parts, it/they alone will not make a gun full auto.
View Quote
Might want to read this small one page .pdf on this subject:

The AR15 auto sear is a machinegun as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(b).
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 10:15:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 2:20:45 PM EDT
[#6]
There have been a couple of rulings now alluding that the ATF does not have the authority to grandfather/exempt Pre-81 DIASs.  The most recent ruling was via the 7th US District Court of Appeals in US v. Dodson a couple years back (Dodson was the Shotguns new Suppress-On DIAS guy).

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCOURTS-ca6-12-02205/pdf/USCOURTS-ca6-12-02205-0.pdf

The net is that in at least portions of the Country a DIAS is contraband regardless of date of manufacture, unless it was properly registered in the NFRTR.   I suspect that anybody who tests these waters in other districts will find themselves losing as well.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 2:58:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Even as a manufacturing FFL/SOT the whole DIAS has been murky water and my partner and I stay away from it.  To many gray areas in that particular topic.

Renegade needs to weigh in on this one, perhaps he has some more insight.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 3:20:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Not a professional, but could you marry the dias to the receiver in a way that it was no longer removable and part of the registered receiver?
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not a professional, but could you marry the dias to the receiver in a way that it was no longer removable and part of the registered receiver?
View Quote
This is what I was going to suggest. Have an 07/02 mfg an aluminum dias, and then tig weld it in place.

Even easier would be to tig weld the 3rd pin area on the rr, machine it smooth, drill sear pin hole, refinish the receiver. I have heard you can repair as long as 85% of the original metal is intact and the serial is still 100% intact and legible. Repairing a sear hole shouldn’t be too bad as long as you can accurately drill the new hole. You’ll have to strip the anodizing and clean the metal, but that shouldn’t be too hard. Oven cleaner strips anodizing (not sure about type 3 hardcoat though). Soak it in acetone and bake to remove lube. Clean weld area with a stainless wire brush after chamfering the hole to expose good clean beveled aluminum. The only tricky part is drilling the hole in the exact spot. As many 07/02’s mfg post samples it should not be that difficult to drill.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 3:46:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Keep in mind that this is the agency that said if you have a registered auto receiver without a sear pin hole, and then drill the sear pin hole, that the hole itself constitutes a second machinegun in addition to the receiver surrounding the hole, and would be manufacturing an unregistered MG.

It would be an interesting exercise for some 07/2 to make a single receiver with the maximum possible number of MGs contained within. Four or five should be possible.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 4:12:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Can a newly made, unregistered DIAS be legally used in a registered M16 lower in place of the factory sear?
View Quote
No it will not fit. DIAS only fits a low-shelf AR lower milled to SP1 standards.

Quoted:
Renegade needs to weigh in on this one, perhaps he has some more insight.
View Quote
You guys covered it pretty well. If only the ATF had included the "Editor's Note" in the original release of 81-4. Many folks read 81-4 and thought they were grandfathered or something. For $200, they could have had a legal DIAS worth $30K today, but did not think they needed to register it. Dodson would not be in jail and would instead be worth millions if he had registered all his DIASes.

*Editor's Note:

Regardless of the date of manufacture of a drop in auto sear (i.e., before or after November 1, 1981) the possession or transfer of an unregistered drop in auto sear (a machinegun as defined) is prohibited by the National Firearms Act (NFA), 26 U.S.C. § 5861, and the Gun Control Act, 18 U.S.C. § 922(o).   The last paragraph of ATF Ruling 81-4 only exempts the making, transfer, and special (occupational) taxes imposed by the NFA with respect to the making, manufacture, or transfer of drop in auto sears prior to November 1, 1981.   See 26 U.S.C. §§ 5801, 5811, 5821, 7805(b)(8).
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 7:31:05 PM EDT
[#12]
No. RR is an MG. DIAS is an MG
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 7:31:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 3:01:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 3:09:58 PM EDT
[#15]
You would be creating a post sample.

I would try and marry it to the receiver.

Also, what receiver can not be repaired?  Contact m60joe.com  I bet that he can fix it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top