Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
DA Sierra 5 Issues Thread (Page 5 of 43)
Page / 43
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 7/23/2023 9:30:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Another one on Reddit. I don't know shit about welding. But to me it looks like the welded portion of the baffle is still connected to the tube, but the rest of the baffles are missing.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 11:43:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Strikefirst] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By monkeypunch:
Another one on Reddit. I don't know shit about welding. But to me it looks like the welded portion of the baffle is still connected to the tube, but the rest of the baffles are missing.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/272212/RDT_20230723_202808356388780750482288_jp-2896107.JPG
View Quote

I imagine if the blast baffle breaks loose and you start getting baffle strikes the other baffles won't stand a chance...and the stellite baffles seem to kind of disintegrate

Just observations...i don't know jack
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 12:05:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Strikefirst:

I imagine if the blast baffle breaks loose and you start getting baffle strikes the other baffles won't stand a chance...and the stellite baffles seem to kind of disintegrate

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Strikefirst:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/272212/RDT_20230723_202808356388780750482288_jp-2896107.JPG

He also said his SN is in the 2600s
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:22:15 AM EDT
[#4]

View Quote

Had a 99% chance of nothing happening………
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 2:53:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JohnnyUtah427:

View All Quotes

Lol
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 3:28:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gjl60] [#6]
I sent an email to DA asking if I could send in my Sierra 5 to be "fixed" before I shot it. I surprisingly received a reply within a few hours. This was DA's response:

"We had a small number of Sierra 5's with weld issues, Not all items are affected. If you feel you would like to have it sent in for inspection; We will be reaching out to you in the future with labels to send the Sierra's in."

Recall in the process?

EDIT - I sent a reply asking if I could send it in now instead of waiting. This was the response from DA:

"We will send you an email when we are ready to get the sierra 5s in for inspection. It shouldn't be more than a week or two."

Link Posted: 7/24/2023 3:30:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Captain92] [#7]
I like my Sierra, have shot hell out of it...HOWEVER it's been on 14.7, 16" and 18" bench guns. I can't mag dump at the range.

My only complaint, If I designed it, was to forego the removable front cap. Nothing wrong with just making it a closed end-non removable. Also, I tightened my cap with the tool, it came loose after about 20 rds when new. Degreased it and tightened the hell out of it with vibra tite on threads. To me that's just another area requiring a special tool, and where issues can happen. Switched my keymo to xeno, no issues with xeno loosening, I have on two occasions had to use smoothe jaw pliers in my range bag to losen it off the muzzle device however. ETA: it was still fairly hot, so understandable. I like the xeno system.

Will shoot it some more this week, will report if issues. I hope Dead Air can put this behind them. I have a bunch their cans . All that said, someone was too stoned, drunk, or high to have been allowed anywhere near a welder at the plant if that ends up being the case given everything we have seen.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 4:03:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mesooohoppy] [#8]
Originally Posted By gjl60:
"We had a small number of Sierra 5's with weld issues, Not all items are affected. If you feel you would like to have it sent in for inspection; We will be reaching out to you in the future with labels to send the Sierra's in."

Recall in the process?

EDIT - I sent a reply asking if I could send it in now instead of waiting. This was the response from DA:

"We will send you an email when we are ready to get the sierra 5s in for inspection. It shouldn't be more than a week or two."
View All Quotes

Recall in the process?

theres also something posted on r NFA that states they are going to be doing something as well. i wonder what made them switch their tone.

im sure glad mines been at KG for a month. hoping to stay a head of the curve on this one.

Originally Posted By Captain92:
I can't mag dump at the range.

you sir, should find a new range.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Mesooohoppy:

theres also something posted on r NFA that states they are going to be doing something as well. i wonder what made them switch their tone.

im sure glad mines been at KG for a month. hoping to stay a head of the curve on this one.

View All Quotes

Recall in the process?

Originally Posted By Captain92:
I can't mag dump at the range.

They ran it through their hype beast algorithm and decided a recall will generate maximum hype... Or maybe they are just fixing their fuck up
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Man, I know it. Fudd club...unfortunately only place nearby. But only out to 300 yds too. Would love to stretch some my stuff with the Sierra out to 400, 500 +
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 5:47:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Agreed that Sierra5 2.0 should have a fixed flash hider end cap
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:52:34 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

While I haven’t been particularly pleased with DA’s response through this, in fairness to them I don’t know that they’re changing their tune/tone. They’ve always said that more would be forthcoming in the future. This is probably at least part of that promised forthcoming “more.”
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 9:59:10 AM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes

Yet here we are ... DeadAir needs to recall this NOW before someone gets actually hurt ... this is an embarrassment
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 10:10:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnnyUtah427] [#14]
Originally Posted By thehun06:

Yet here we are ... DeadAir needs to recall this NOW before someone gets actually hurt ... this is an embarrassment
View Quote

You mean, you don't want to shoot it until it blows up and then send it back for another 3, 4, 5, 6, 9 months or more to get repaired?
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 2:56:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By thehun06:

View Quote

Considering they KNOW there is a problem. Despite the mounting issues of their suppressor, they still find time to feed the social media machine. When I see new posts on IG it makes me laugh. The customer service rep told me to wait a few weeks until they contact me to address the S5 issue. So, push off the important issues and focus on advertising. Lame.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Considering they KNOW there is a problem. Despite the mounting issues of their suppressor, they still find time to feed the social media machine. When I see new posts on IG it makes me laugh. The customer service rep told me to wait a few weeks until they contact me to address the S5 issue. So, push off the important issues and focus on advertising. Lame.
View Quote

So as soon as any QA issues arise all aspects/depts of business have to stop, got it. Should accounting also stop paying vendors?
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 7:16:47 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

Tell me you do not know how an organization is structured and functions without telling me you do not know how organizations structure themselves and function.

Link Posted: 7/25/2023 7:22:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bradpierson26] [#18]
Originally Posted By KM6:

So as soon as any QA issues arise all aspects/depts of business have to stop, got it. Should accounting also stop paying vendors?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KM6:

Maybe they should stop paying KG

Originally Posted By WVUSIG:

Tell me you do not know how an organization is structured and functions without telling me you do not know how organizations structure themselves and function.

Maybe he thinks it’s a small operation and the accountants do IG live one hour a week. And on Saturday mornings they clean the toilets
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 7:34:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m6z] [#19]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:

Maybe they should stop paying KG

Maybe he thinks it’s a small operation and the accountants do IG live one hour a week. And on Saturday mornings they clean the toilets
View Quote

. No?

Yeah, it sucks that some bad product made it to customers, but it would seem like they're fixing them as fast as they can.  

And it sure seems like every Dead Air suppressor is out of stock, so perhaps they're changing some stuff up so this type of thing doesn't happen again.

Buy a KGM from Bereli for $400 if you want something right now.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 7:45:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 9:12:12 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

I wondered about that, myself, since it’s a 5.56 can. But I think they wanted it to be able to take an E-Brake.

Also, for the dude that used Vibra-Tite, I love that stuff, but not on a can.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 11:11:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By 1168RGR:

I wondered about that, myself, since it’s a 5.56 can. But I think they wanted it to be able to take an E-Brake.

View All Quotes

I always forget about the E brake
Do people really find them useful?
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 11:16:20 AM EDT
[#23]

I always forget about the E brake
Do people really find them useful?
View Quote

Nope
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 12:17:31 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

You are clueless. Advertising amid issues like this can have adverse impact on long-term customer loyalty. Go read and see how customers are reacting to this. They are pissed an probably won't buy another DA can. Advertising to buy defective cans doesn't seem like a sound strategy. Maybe fix the issue and then do a hard PR campaign?
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 12:54:16 PM EDT
[#25]

You are clueless. Advertising amid issues like this can have adverse impact on long-term customer loyalty. Go read and see how customers are reacting to this. They are pissed an probably won't buy another DA can. Advertising to buy defective cans doesn't seem like a sound strategy. Maybe fix the issue and then do a hard PR campaign?
View Quote

Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 2:09:31 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Nothing wrong with a dab of vibra tite on the front cap as well as hub adapter. Especially since I am not planning on removing. The Sierra doesn't need a removable front cap anyway IMHO. I would weld it if I could.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Has anyone received a Sierra 5 back from DA that has been "fixed" yet?

I'm curious how DA is going to contact those with S5's to notify them of the defect/recall? Considering the process to buy a suppressor doesn't go directly through the manufacture. When the rep said they would reach out to "us" I was a bit confused on how they would know who to contact.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 2:29:52 PM EDT
[#28]

I'm curious how DA is going to contact those with S5's to notify them of the defect/recall? Considering the process to buy a suppressor doesn't go directly through the manufacture. When the rep said they would reach out to "us" I was a bit confused on how they would know who to contact.
View Quote

Good question. I haven't heard of anyone receiving one back. We would hear about it here or on Reddit. I have been wondering if the same place is repairing them that screwed the pooch to begin with?
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 4:01:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Mines been gone for 107 days at this point. Dead Air finally replied to me 7/10/23 after bi-weekly emails asking for a status update.

This is what they said: Currently this is showing in the repair process for me.  Hope to have this out to you ASAP but I don't have an exact date your specific silencer will be fixed up.  We are working hard to get this fixed up and back to you.

I purchased a Polonium K after i sent my Sierra 5 out and it’s already cleared the form 4, so I don’t care when the Sierra gets fixed anymore. The rifle it lived on is set up to run suppressed, so I “needed” another can.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 4:31:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By ALit064:
Mines been gone for 107 days at this point. Dead Air finally replied to me 7/10/23 after bi-weekly emails asking for a status update.
View Quote

thank you for actually providing something useful to this thread. mine is at 37 days and i expect to wait in the triple digits, based off of the useful info in this thread. im assuming the silver lining for all of us who are currently waiting on warranty repair will (hopefully) be well far ahead prior to their 'inspection announcement'.

s/o to the rest of you for trying to get yet another fucking s5 thread locked. you guys are the real heros. go bitch on reddit.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 4:52:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ALit064] [#31]
You're welcome. They hooked me up with a hat for the wait.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

Mine was repaired and has been working great.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 9:28:05 PM EDT
[#34]

thank you for actually providing something useful to this thread. mine is at 37 days and i expect to wait in the triple digits, based off of the useful info in this thread. im assuming the silver lining for all of us who are currently waiting on warranty repair will (hopefully) be well far ahead prior to their 'inspection announcement'.

s/o to the rest of you for trying to get yet another fucking s5 thread locked. you guys are the real heros. go bitch on reddit.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ALit064:

I have three Sierra5’s. So far so good. Hopefully they don’t wanna see them all and only certain serial numbers
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 9:55:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By StrikeEagle15:

I have three Sierra5’s. So far so good. Hopefully they don’t wanna see them all and only certain serial numbers
View Quote

My understanding is that this is not a recall but an offer to allow users to send their cans to DA to be inspected. At least that is what would make the most sense to me. It would get very expensive both in shipping and man hours to request all cans in the wild to be returned for inspection. Unless their internal numbers show a large percentage of cans having issues, I can’t see this being their approach. I would be very surprised if it is a large percentage of cans with issues.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 10:03:11 PM EDT
[#36]

My understanding is that this is not a recall but an offer to allow users to send their cans to DA to be inspected. At least that is what would make the most sense to me. It would get very expensive both in shipping and man hours to request all cans in the wild to be returned for inspection. Unless their internal numbers show a large percentage of cans having issues, I can’t see this being their approach. I would be very surprised if it is a large percentage of cans with issues.
View All Quotes

My last can is in the 6900 range. So there is at least 7000 of them out there now.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 10:09:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By contax_shooter:

View All Quotes

Can you summarize rounds to failure, host & firing schedule, nature of failure, and turnaround time from failure date to back in your hands all fixed?
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 12:59:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Guys, please focus on the Sierra 5 and its issues, not the side show about Dead Air. Please? I don't want this thread to get locked.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 6:51:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By KalmanPhilter:

Can you summarize rounds to failure, host & firing schedule, nature of failure, and turnaround time from failure date to back in your hands all fixed?
View Quote

- 80 rounds
- 12.5” AR on a routine zero and dope confirmation for a new configuration. No mag dumps
- Noticed the baffles were loose upon inspection at home
- Repair and return was 8 days back in March
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 7:42:53 AM EDT
[#40]

- 80 rounds
- 12.5” AR on a routine zero and dope confirmation for a new configuration. No mag dumps
View Quote

That's fast turnaround. If the 1 I have is effected, I hope it works like that for me.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 9:10:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

That's fast turnaround. If the 1 I have is effected, I hope it works like that for me.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

- 80 rounds

It’s good to hear the happy endings.  I think most people can live with a fast resolution.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 9:29:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: swampfoxoutdoors] [#42]
Originally Posted By m6z:

. No?

Buy a KGM from Bereli for $400 if you want something right now.
View Quote

Shit why buy anything KGmade? They are the sole source of the issue.

Dead Air designs a great product. My 2 BPI produced cans I own have been flawless and some of my most enjoyed NFA items. With that said I flat out wont be buying a KGM produced can due to my experience with them and getting a issue resolved in the past with a KGmade product.  

Not swearing off DA, just waiting for them to pick someone else to manufacture their products.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#43]
As others have said, thanks to those who are posting useful info and keeping this on track. I emailed DA yesterday through their website to see if I could preemptively send mine in for inspection while I wait for the form to clear and I got the same response as another user posted above:

"We had a small number of Sierra 5's with weld issues, Not all items are affected. If you feel you would like to have it sent in for inspection; We will be reaching out to you in the future with labels to send the Sierra's in. - Jake"

I'm on day 65 of the wait for my approval. Would be nice piece of mind if they can check it and repair if needed before it gets approved.  But we shall see.

It's encouraging to hear the positive reviews of the cans that are functioning properly.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 2:47:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnnyUtah427] [#44]

- 80 rounds
View Quote

Didn't you contact Mageever through this forum about your issues and didn't that help speed up your process?  Granted, you did have one of the earliest approvals with early failure.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 9:30:11 PM EDT
[#45]
What caused the repair timeline to go from eight days to indefinite? Why hasn't DA issued a stop-use order and recall?
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 10:27:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StrikeEagle15] [#46]
Originally Posted By ian187:
What caused the repair timeline to go from eight days to indefinite? Why hasn't DA issued a stop-use order and recall?
View Quote

Maybe they haven’t issued a recall because it’s not that big of a widespread issue reddit makes it out to be….
My dealer is huge in the nfa game and they have told me they sold around 400 Sierra5’s and have not heard one issue on any of them yet.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 11:08:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: monkeypunch] [#47]

Maybe they haven’t issued a recall because it’s not that big of a widespread issue reddit makes it out to be….
My dealer is huge in the nfa game and they have told me they sold around 400 Sierra5’s and have not heard one issue on any of them yet.
View Quote

Are 387 of them still in jail?

Edit: I think I saw someone with a 7000 serial number post. Even if there are 10,000 on form 4, I'm curious what dealer is doing 4%+ of Dead Air volume. Who is your LGS?
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 12:37:07 AM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

If it's not that widespread then why's the warranty wait so long and why can't they inspect unfired units immediately? Defect reports are all over all forms of social media, not just Reddit.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 12:48:39 AM EDT
[#49]
I am current at 58 days on my repair  so just short of 2 months which is pretty shitty after waiting 220 days for approval.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 2:54:12 AM EDT
[#50]

If it's not that widespread then why's the warranty wait so long and why can't they inspect unfired units immediately? Defect reports are all over all forms of social media, not just Reddit.
View Quote

Why don't any of you persistent whiners ask KGM that?  They are the ones that did Dead Air and all of you Sierra buyers dirty.  DA can't MAKE them fix the cans any faster and obviously KGM isn't running the tightest ship.

I mean seriously, some of you.  We get it.  DA destroyed your barrel, boned your wife, ran over your dog, touched you where you shouldn't have, and didn't give you the decency of a reacharound when you paid for that Sierra 5. So let's play the broken record over and over again.  Let's burn DA to the ground even though we loved them a year ago.  I bet 75%-plus of those raising a stink on the internet about the Sierra didn't even buy one.  
Page / 43
DA Sierra 5 Issues Thread (Page 5 of 43)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top