Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
DA Sierra 5 Issues Thread (Page 39 of 43)
Page / 43
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:46:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Underaid702] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 797hp:

I’m sure everyone is glad you came along to save this thread by contributing absolutely nothing.

No one is forcing you to read it, you are free to not click on it if it’s making you upset.
View Quote

Some people like to be informed.

People are tired of your dumbass replies on every fucking thread hating on dead air. We fucking get it, you have two S5 and hate dead air.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:25:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Underaid702:

People are tired of your dumbass replies on every fucking thread hating on dead air. We fucking get it, you have two S5 and hate dead air.
View Quote

Where are you seeing this? The ignore list is an option, of course.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 5:06:18 PM EDT
[#3]

View Quote

Weird, I only see one crybaby complaining about it.

Like I said, you are free to just go away since you don’t even own a Sierra 5 and have nothing to contribute other than shitposting.

Also, fuck Dead Air.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 1168RGR:

Where are you seeing this? The ignore list is an option, of course.
View Quote

He can’t use the ignore function but I imagine he would because hurt feelz
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 8:12:00 PM EDT
[#5]
1900 replies and maybe 40 with actual useful information..
View Quote

I think you are overly optimistic about the amount of actual useful information in this thread, but a positive attitude is always respected.

At this point, I'm just wondering if Prebans is leaving this thread open as a safe place for people to vent anger and hate instead of kicking puppies.  If that's so, on behalf of puppies everywhere, thank you, sir, not all heroes wear capes.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 11:39:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By spot-remover:
I wonder how many or how few pages this thread would be if even 1 of the 1900 posts came from actual Dead Air.
View Quote

The Silencerco Recall thread is on Page 3 of the Topics. Less than one page of posts and the majority are lamenting (justifiably) that it's affecting the BOGO promotion.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Silencerco-recall-11-13-23/20-548006/
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 3:58:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#7]
Originally Posted By zentradi:

I think you are overly optimistic about the amount of actual useful information in this thread, but a positive attitude is always respected.

At this point, I'm just wondering if Prebans is leaving this thread open as a safe place for people to vent anger and hate instead of kicking puppies.  If that's so, on behalf of puppies everywhere, thank you, sir, not all heroes wear capes.
View Quote

I'm still waiting for the legendary DA CS to reply to my RMA inquiry. Cape-less heroes abound, while sycophants universally have their heads in a bag. Truth in advertising is out the window.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:05:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

I'm still waiting for the legendary DA CS to reply to my RMA inquiry. Cape-less heroes abound, while sycophants universally have their heads in a bag. Truth in advertising is out the window.
View Quote

Watch out, you’re going to trigger the snowflakes.

Are you still waiting for a S5 RMA?

Might wanna try commenting on their IG posts, seems to be the only place where they respond to complaints.

It’s also where DA keeps boasting about their new and improved customer service department anytime someone bitches about it
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 9:20:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: prebans] [#9]
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 8:09:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Norinco982lover] [#10]
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 8:21:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By prebans:

The Pew debacle taught me a lot.  Once I created a thread dedicated to whining or praise, the drama plummeted.  Same story here.  This has become the de facto Dead Air whining and praise thread.  Better to keep it all in one place to limit the spread to the rest of the forum.  People can ignore it or wade in as they see fit.  It also logs the goings-on for potential buyers to weigh and judge by their own standards.

(And ever so occasionally, someone posts something useful too.)
View Quote

If Arfcom had a post-like feature I'd give this post a like.  I'm sure the world's kick-free puppy population would too.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 9:06:26 PM EDT
[#12]
A like/dislike feature would be nice.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 8:01:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ape_Factory] [#13]
Curios if anyone has received their "fixed" Sierra 5 back and has been able to get the rear mount off?  I have a Xeno, heated it up good and hot with a heat gun and zero luck getting the f*cker off.  I've actually bent the wrenches slightly.  Wondering if they used rocksett and then neglected to tell anyone?

Edit:  Moved on to a propane torch.  Got the xeno portion glowing hot.  No luck, won't budge.  I tried when I first received the can back and couldn't get it loose.  Has a fairly small number of rounds through it at this point so I can't imagine it's carbon locked this bad.  Now soaking in water to see if they used rocksett.  I've resorted to pounding the wrenches flat again with a dead blow hammer on a flat surface.  Awesome execution Dead Air.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 9:05:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JimmyB62] [#14]
Mine had no thread locker but that mofo was torqued on by a gorilla. I sent it in without a mount since I use Plan A and they returned it with Xeno. I rounded the teeth on my OTC spanners and had to use cheaters but it finally came off.
PS-if you’re going to use heat I’d heat the can, not the mount. Heating the mount causes it to expand and get tighter.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:52:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zentradi] [#15]
Originally Posted By Ape_Factory:
Curios if anyone has received their "fixed" Sierra 5 back and has been able to get the rear mount off?  I have a Xeno, heated it up good and hot with a heat gun and zero luck getting the f*cker off.  I've actually bent the wrenches slightly.  Wondering if they used rocksett and then neglected to tell anyone?

Edit:  Moved on to a propane torch.  Got the xeno portion glowing hot.  No luck, won't budge.  I tried when I first received the can back and couldn't get it loose.  Has a fairly small number of rounds through it at this point so I can't imagine it's carbon locked this bad.  Now soaking in water to see if they used rocksett.  I've resorted to pounding the wrenches flat again with a dead blow hammer on a flat surface.  Awesome execution Dead Air.
View Quote

I would have just removed mine in a gentlemanly fashion by utilizing my impact wrench.  

I don't recommend anything, and I don't recommend you do anything I say (disclaimer).

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Nomad-TI-with-Xeno-not-staying-tight/20-542885/?page=1&anc=bottom#bottom
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok I'll take another crack at it before I ship it back to them.  Seriously frustrating.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:30:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Ok I'll take another crack at it before I ship it back to them.  Seriously frustrating.
View Quote

I see you tried soaking in water, was it hot water?

I’ve had good luck getting muzzle devices off with boiling hot water, it seems to soften up the Rocksett
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:31:01 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Have you tried freezing it?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 8:46:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Put one wrench against a solid floor and lean carefully into the other wrench with both hands using  your body weight to break it loose.  It will come off.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:35:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

when i got my wolfman back from repair (10 months ago) both the rear fixed mount and endcap were on so tight, i couldn’t get either off.

hit DA again & they had me send it back to KG for them to remove. annoying as hell, but wasn’t worth it to me to possibly foobar it after i had just got it back.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I actually tighten and loosen my xeno mounts in my sierra5 suppressors with an impact gun. To tighten i just give 2 quick taps of the trigger. To loosen i hold the suppressor in one hand and hit the mount with the impact until it vibrates loose. I have no issues with anything coming loose while shooting and no alignment issues either.

Im sure if you hit it with an impact gun it will come off.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:53:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I tried two different impact guns.  A smaller battery-powered unit and a big honking one.  Zero luck.  Sat in solvent all day.  DA replied and they DO NOT use Rocksett at all on any of their mounts, caps, etc.  Tried applying heat with propane torch again and no luck.  Seriously nuts.  I'm to the point of thinking DA won't be able to get it off either.  I'd try a monster breaker bar but I don't think I can keep it from rotating.  Hopefully they have some sort of jig to hold the main body in place.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:08:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I tried two different impact guns.  A smaller battery-powered unit and a big honking one.  Zero luck.  Sat in solvent all day.  DA replied and they DO NOT use Rocksett at all on any of their mounts, caps, etc.  Tried applying heat with propane torch again and no luck.  Seriously nuts.  I'm to the point of thinking DA won't be able to get it off either.  I'd try a monster breaker bar but I don't think I can keep it from rotating.  Hopefully they have some sort of jig to hold the main body in place.
View Quote

Did you try Kroil and three Our Father's?   I've seen some miracles with both.  

Sitting the can in a cup of Kroil to where it can go over the interior and exterior Xeno mount might work, but easy enough to wipe out when base is off.  

Not being an ass, speaking of past me being a dumb ass, did you have the impact gun turning lefty loosey?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:09:38 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

Are you heating the can or the adapter? If you use heat, you need to heat the female part, the can.

For jigs, check with Energetic Armament. They’re plastic, though, so maybe not for use with a torch.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:49:57 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Freeze it all. The can and the mount. Put it in the freezer over night. Slowly heat the can and try to keep the heat not directly on the mount. Try and break it loose. If that won't get it I dunno man.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:18:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Cowbell:

Freeze it all. The can and the mount. Put it in the freezer over night. Slowly heat the can and try to keep the heat not directly on the mount. Try and break it loose. If that won't get it I dunno man.
View Quote

The freezing method works. Soak in kroil, put in a plastic bag, freeze it, gently heat the mount only, and hit it again with an impact.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:51:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 9:58:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:00:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Did it go to Utah first? Had you fired it at all?
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:35:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Norinco982lover] [#31]
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:54:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Eggs Zachary. Ive been toying with sending mine to ECCO, but the five hundred bucks was keeping from doing it. I haven't shot mine yet. Took 13 months to get approved, so the five bells almost seems worth it.
I literally drive past KG twice a day and sometimes four, taking the kids to and from school. Too bad I can't just drop it off at the dock door.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:58:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Norinco982lover:
It’s been about 2 weeks since I sent my Sierra 5 to dead air. They called me today and said they’re returning my YHM kurz mount (which I had been unable to remove) and forwarding my can on to the shop to recore. Thought that was nice of them to return it so it doesn’t get lost.

My can did not have any issues, I sent it in as a preemptive measure and I’m pleased with their response to my RMA so far.

View Quote

So you sent back a perfectly good can?
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 7:10:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Probably put another 500 rounds through mine since my last post. Zero issues. Still give it a shake test after every use. But I'm really enjoying it so far.

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:14:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 12:36:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Totally awesome customer service by Dead Air if they are recording undamaged cans for free.    I have to respect that.    

Customer service 10/10 and the performance of the can is just as awesome.   I think I'll buy another Dead Air can, oh wait, I just did!
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 1:47:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Totally awesome customer service by Dead Air if they are recording undamaged cans for free.    I have to respect that.    

Customer service 10/10 and the performance of the can is just as awesome.   I think I'll buy another Dead Air can, oh wait, I just did!
View Quote

All of them should be recalled and re-corded. DA is re-core'ing asymptomatic silencers because they don't actually know which serials are effected.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 4:24:52 AM EDT
[#38]
It’s been about 2 weeks since I sent my Sierra 5 to dead air. They called me today and said they’re returning my YHM kurz mount (which I had been unable to remove) and forwarding my can on to the shop to recore. Thought that was nice of them to return it so it doesn’t get lost.

My can did not have any issues, I sent it in as a preemptive measure and I’m pleased with their response to my RMA so far.

View Quote

Curious why CS won't respond to my inquiries to do same.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 7:58:07 AM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

I can't remember if you had to email them to request a link to the RMA form, or if the RMA request was available on there website.

But honestly if you asked and didn't get a response, then I would just fill out an RMA request (if it's on their website) or just email them saying you need an RMA.

I'm not sure what/how you asked them exactly, but I'd just be assertive about it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 9:58:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 797hp] [#40]
Originally Posted By StrikeEagle15:

So you sent back a perfectly good can?
View Quote

Customers have no way of knowing if they received a defective silencer.

Neither does Dead Air.

The fact that they are actually recoring unfired cans should be a huge red flag to anyone with half a brain.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 10:03:20 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

If taking seven months to repair something while totally ignoring emails and phone calls is 10/10, what’s your idea of poor customer service?

My SOT won’t even sell DA products anymore because of Dead Air’s “totally awesome” CS.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 10:19:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 10:22:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 10:43:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mav3rick] [#44]

No, I sent back an untrustworthy ticking time bomb

Dead air couldn’t tell me it wasn’t affected so it was affected.
View Quote

+1

I did the same thing with mine. I have no idea if and when it is going to fail, but I didn't want to find out one day so I called and then got the RMA and sent it in.
If DA would have done the right thing in the beginning which would have just been "Own it" say "yeah there is a problem, but we will recall all of them and take care of you and get them back to you asap" they would have never wound up in this mess.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 10:45:01 AM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

Try calling them. I called the other day and was able to speak to someone about mine.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 10:46:22 AM EDT
[#46]

To be fair, I have been as critical as anyone else in this thread. The delayed repairs and lack of ever making a statement is/was unacceptable.

But we really can't have it both ways. I don't see it as a red flag that they're recoring unbroken cans (Mine has been fired). It COULD just be good customer service. I am happy that they're recoring my can because I did not trust it, but I don't truly know if it would have broken or not.
View Quote

I get what you’re saying but it’s still not a good look.

If they even think a can is defective they should have issued a recall.

If I didn’t already own Sierra 5’s, there’s no way I’d even consider buying one after this fiasco.

They really screwed the pooch on this, you can’t deny that.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By ian187:

All of them should be recalled and re-corded. DA is re-core'ing asymptomatic silencers because they don't actually know which serials are effected.
View Quote

And there is little evidence the company culture that created that self licking ice cream cone isn’t still playing the same fiddle.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#49]
This thread reminded me I needed to go out and shoot my amazing Sierra 5 can with its superior cobalt steel baffles produced by the industry-leading company, Dead Air.    This suppressor is amazing in sound performance and flash-hiding performance despite being smaller than other cans it outperforms.  

The knurling in the well-thought-out design goes hand in hand with the best mount in the industry, the Xeno, and we enjoyed emptying the magazine with no gas to the face at all.    That's pretty awesome considering I was running a non-regulated gasblock that cycles properly whether or not the high-performing Sierra 5 suppressor is attached.    

We did take the high-performance Sierra 5 off and after putting ear-pro on fired several rounds of the short-barreled rifle, rattling the land with concussion and reminding everyone just how efficient a newer design like the Sierra 5 is.    My ear pro, of course, was quickly removed once the rifle was resuppressed.  
Of course, swapping out a thoughtfully designed can like the S5 with its knurling was easy because the texture of the knurling allowed the oven mit to still grasp the can and easily remove it from the industry-leading Xeno mount.  

Did fire some rounds through the other top-of-line can, the AB A10 which will likely become commonly appreciated as BOGO approvals roll in for new owners.    The A10 of course uses the modern industry standard HUB thread which allowed it to use the elite Xeno mounting system and was quickly and solidly attached to the Xeno mount.   I am looking forward to other friends having their A10's approved and think the AB A10 which dominated almost all of the silencer summit will be a very popular can this year.      

The Sierra 5 continued to perform after being reattached and the morning was pleasantly suppressed.     I again thank Dead Air for their design, build and timely customer service response to my questions when they come up (about other products too).   I'm looking forward to my approval for the phenomenal next generation Dead Air Mojave, and genuinely feel bad for people who swore off the industry leader as I am very much so looking forward to putting thousands and thousands of rounds through the Mojave.    Very happy that Dead Air is better than ever, and also hoping the .45 Mojave becomes a reality, not that I don't already love my Dead Air .45 cans.   Keep up the good work, you are appreciated!  

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:40:18 PM EDT
[#50]
I’m glad I didn’t buy the first ones off the shelf (although I suspect the ones at my range are), but I’d feel confident now that if I bought one and it shit the bed Dead Air would take care of me.
Page / 43
DA Sierra 5 Issues Thread (Page 39 of 43)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top