Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2018 6:46:07 PM EDT
I’m working on my 450 Bushmaster project and feeding is possible but with HP ammo in my dummy rounds they sometimes get caught trying to enter the chamber of the barrel.

This is on a Mauser 98 receiver and Rhineland Arms Barrel.

The cuts would not be as deep as the red lines, they are just for illustration.

So, can I shave some barrel off the chamber entrance on my barrel to help feed the rounds or would it cause the brass to bulge out in the unsupported area after firing?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 7:02:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Is there any chamfer there now ? I have a 60 degree cutter that I radius that area to help feeding. The case web area is very thick in that area .
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 10:19:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Very common to lightly chamfer the chamber mouth.

Just removing the sharp edge really, not a big cut.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 2:30:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
1-2mm in? Or would that be too much?
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 2:44:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is there any chamfer there now ? I have a 60 degree cutter that I radius that area to help feeding. The case web area is very thick in that area .
View Quote
No chamfer. I’ll let Rhineland know to add it to their barrels.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 3:00:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

10-15 thou... Per side.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 9:01:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 10:29:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ditto on a light radius chamfer at the back of the chamber entrance, and would not use a counter sink type cutter to do this since it going to angle cut into the chamber too deep isntead.

Just chuck the barrel in a lathe, and using say a chopstick with 400sandpaper on the dowel so your not touching into the actual chamber walls deeper than just the edges, should be able to produce a light radius chamfer to break the sharp edge on the back of the chamber.

Hence you do not want the chamber entrance chamfer late of raduis to be beyond the case webbing of the case, leaving the case unsuported instead.

So you first start off with the a every so slightly radius of the entire barrel chamber entry, and then if needed, you can increase the chamfer on the bottom of the barrel chamber to slightly enlarge the throat ramping on the bottom of the chamber entry to give it a slight feed ramp; but again, not deep enough into the chamber side walls to get past the webbing inside the case to unsupported the case when chambered.

So here is what your trying to go after,
https://i.imgur.com/yb8QkGM.jpg

Next, work with the feed ramp block that you have installed, to couture it so it feeding the rounds out of the mag box into the chamber cleanly centered next.

This is what you installed,
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/170028/9EFF8D7D-DE66-44E3-B443-8074C00ED1D1-402817.JPG

So to start off with, the top contour of the block should have only been top curved radius so the bottom of the bolt  just cleared the top lips of the feed block as it the bolt is been pushed forward.  Next the ramping of the block is angled both sides so as the bullet is being feed into the chamber both side of the mag box, it going to force the tip of the round in line with the center of the chamber as well.  So will bank that the you have a huge gap between the bottom of the bolt and the top of the feed block to start with, and even bigger gap between the sides of the bottom of the bolt and block as well.  With a new block that is radius the same as the bottom for the bolt to just clear the the bottom of the bolt, center top channel orientated up the ramp, this will clean up the tip feeds of the round out of the box both side, to center feed into the chamber instead.

If you need me to mock something up, can do so, but it just going to look like an upside down grooved Y channel up the block block face, with the  end top and even the sides of the bolt much higher than you currently have (again, with only about a .010" clearance of the bottom of the bolt and the the top of the block, and top end of block contoured the same as the bottom of the bolt as well) .

Lastly, mod the extractor so when the case rim is coming up the bolt face on the increased angle to the extractor claw to lock into the extractor on feeding (again increased rim angle due too the shorter round), it can get under the extractor on the control feeding so it not binding up up there.  Hence the case rim locks onto the extractor as is being pushed out of the mag on a mauser action (controlled feeding) and not as the bolt is locking up like say a rem 700 action.  So with a shorter round, the angle of attach is going to be steeper into the chamber, and this causes a greater angle of the rim against the  bottom of the extractor claw and bolt face on the initial lock into the extractor during the feed isntead.

http://webpages.charter.net/Rodgervich/Paul/mauser/finish/boltface.jpg
Note, you don't have to go this buck wild with the extractor, but you do have to increase the gap at the bottom of the extractor to the bolt face, to allow the rim at a much greater angle to be able to slip under the extractor without binding up as is finally clearing the box lips and locks into the bolt face. Hence we need the tip of the bullet to be in the chamber before it clears the end of the box lips and the round is now being completely controlled by the bolt face alone from that point instead.
View Quote
Wow! Thank you for taking the time to explain this! I don’t have a lathe. I’m just using hand tools/dremel.

The feed ramp angle makes sense, angle it in an upside down Y to feed at the right angle. I did work on the extracted a bit and it did help feed but maybe more work on the bottom to help the rounds at the awkward angle to feed. I will try the feed ramp first as I know it is slightly higher than the upper receiver feed ramp.

I could use rounded or FTX bullets mainly as they have a nice ogive.

Still, thanks for the pointers!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top