Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2020 2:37:39 PM EDT
Just mailed my license application today.  Hopefully I'll have my license in a month or two.  I mainly got it because I'd like to pick up some more TT-33's and I figured I'd save myself some effort and dealer fees on the purchase.

Haven't had my license in a number of years.  And the last time I did, SKS, Nagants, CZ-52, CZ-82, and TT-33's were the bargains.  At least those were the ones I paid attention to.  Super cheap and fun guns.  Now I see those all have just about doubled in price from when I bought them...except for the TT-33's which I'm guessing are still plentiful.  

I realize the $100-$200 guns might be a thing of the past, but what are the current bargains being offered?

Also, any places that still give free shipping and/or discounts to C&R/03's?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 4:12:11 PM EDT
[#1]
First tip, stay away from Royal Tiger Imports (RTI). While a few here have gotten good guns from them, plenty (including myself) have gotten burned by rifles not matching descriptions in terms of make/year, or being in far worse condition than advertised, or receiving non-functional or unsafe guns.

For selection, Simpson LTD is your friend. They aren't a place for bargains, but instead a place to buy interesting and hard to find guns with confidence - what you order will be what you get.

Also get an account with Century Arms and watch their C&R section. Not much right now but sometimes they get some interesting finds. They're a little optimistic with their grading, but nowhere near as bad as Classic arms or worse RTI.

J&G is another place that sometimes has interesting stuff, they still have CZ 82s for a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Empirearms.com
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 8:44:44 AM EDT
[#3]
CMP M1 rifles.

We’ll realize how good it was when it’s gone.

Link Posted: 10/15/2020 10:43:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Lots of C&R guns showing up locally in shops around here.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 11:26:55 AM EDT
[#5]
If Italian rifles interest you, we're kind of in the middle of a heyday of Carcano availability, at least compared to the past several decades.

Link Posted: 10/21/2020 9:59:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 10:49:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am interested as well. I need to figure out where to take my collection. I have Garands, M1 carbines, Mosin, Mauser, arisaka, etc. I have all the basics. The Italian guns are priced right but they don't interest me. Maybe I should just get one to have. I don't know.
View Quote

See I used to just snatch up anything that threw a bullet.  I initially hoped for cheap 9mm or x56/x39's but only the SKS fit that bill.  Snatched up 3.  One is still NIB.  But then I branched out to CZ pistols of various calibers, Nagant  rifles, etc. and the ammo was dirt cheap 10-15 years ago! Still have a ton in wood crates/spam cans.  Glad I did because it's 2-3 times the cost now, same goes for the guns.

To be honest, I don't really have an agenda this time.  Well....I'd love to have a crate of something rifle-wise that is as cheap as Nagants/SKS used to be...now I guess that'd mean something under $200 shipped each....and a fuck ton of ammo to go along with it.  Those would serve as hand out guns.  But other than that, no agenda.  I do like accuracy, higher power, and unique capabilities.  

Sent in my license two weeks ago so we'll see if I can order guns to my door before Christmas.

Link Posted: 11/16/2020 3:02:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Alrighty!  Got my license in the mail today!

What rifle and pistol should I consider??  I'm a big fan of cheap/durable like the Nagant (apparently) used to be 10-15yrs ago.  $89 all day and sometimes shipped!  Wood crates of ammo WELL under $200 shipped.  

To adjust for C&R Inflation.... are there any good guns under $200 shipped in either handgun or rifle??

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Alrighty!  Got my license in the mail today!

What rifle and pistol should I consider??  I'm a big fan of cheap/durable like the Nagant (apparently) used to be 10-15yrs ago.  $89 all day and sometimes shipped!  Wood crates of ammo WELL under $200 shipped.  

To adjust for C&R Inflation.... are there any good guns under $200 shipped in either handgun or rifle??

Thanks!
View Quote

You're likely to have a great deal of difficulty finding anything that's in good shape for under $200, unless you get lucky at a pawn shop or LGS.  The selection will open up in the $300 to $400 range.  You may find an arfcommer looking to thin their herd, though.  
Mosin-Nagants still seem to surprise me.  Just when I think they've dried up, another small batch arrives.  But the recent batches I've seen have rust problems under the wood, so be careful.  Even with the rust, I haven't seen one under $325.  The 7.62x54R ammunition is still plentiful, but not the you-gotta-be-kidding cheap like it used to be.  

Newer 7.62X54R ammunition is supposed to use noncorrosive primers, and that's probably true.  It's a good idea to assume that the primers ARE corrosive, and clean quickly with a suitable cleaner.  Back in the days of the old CR-FFL email list, I posted a joke that got a surprising response: Visualize two elderly Russian men, both taking a cigarette break and sitting down on a pallet of ammunition crates.  One is holding a stencil that says NON-CORROSIVE.  He says to his coworker, "I don't know what this means, but when we stencil the crates with this, we sell ten times as many for three times the money."
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You're likely to have a great deal of difficulty finding anything that's in good shape for under $200, unless you get lucky at a pawn shop or LGS.  The selection will open up in the $300 to $400 range.  You may find an arfcommer looking to thin their herd, though.  
Mosin-Nagants still seem to surprise me.  Just when I think they've dried up, another small batch arrives.  But the recent batches I've seen have rust problems under the wood, so be careful.  Even with the rust, I haven't seen one under $325.  The 7.62x54R ammunition is still plentiful, but not the you-gotta-be-kidding cheap like it used to be.  

Newer 7.62X54R ammunition is supposed to use noncorrosive primers, and that's probably true.  It's a good idea to assume that the primers ARE corrosive, and clean quickly with a suitable cleaner.  Back in the days of the old CR-FFL email list, I posted a joke that got a surprising response: Visualize two elderly Russian men, both taking a cigarette break and sitting down on a pallet of ammunition crates.  One is holding a stencil that says NON-CORROSIVE.  He says to his coworker, "I don't know what this means, but when we stencil the crates with this, we sell ten times as many for three times the money."
View Quote

Ha!  Interesting concept.

As for cheap guns.  I see there are .32acp 8+1 Zastavas and TT-33's around $240.  I LOVE the TT-33 and will definitely be picking more up.  Still have an ass-load of Tok ammo for them.  They are excellent guns and I've seen the ammo I have go through soft armor like a hot knife through butter.  Not the latest whiz bang but for a cache gun, I'd love to have it! Only weakness is the slide release clip but that is an easy fix just by squeezing it shut.

Link Posted: 11/17/2020 11:30:51 PM EDT
[#11]
You'll have more luck with handguns. Rifles under $200 are basically a thing of the past.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 11:35:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You'll have more luck with handguns. Rifles under $200 are basically a thing of the past.
View Quote

What are you seeing in stock?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 7:07:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What are you seeing in stock?

Thanks
View Quote

J and G still has CZ 82s

They also have some Japanese nambus
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 8:09:06 AM EDT
[#14]
If you're willing to stretch the budget a little, Classic Firearms has Romanian TTCs for about $230, or you could gamble on a Carcano for the same price.

Really, just look around.

The places I usually look are Classic Firearms, JG Sales, Panzerfaust Armory, Aimsurplus, DG Firearms, the Mosin Crate, and Simpson Ltd.
I have not done business with all of these establishments. I have had mostly good luck with Classic, but many people hate them. Simpson's is my preference.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 8:38:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Another vote for Simpson’s.

GunBroker has hidden gems sometimes also.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#16]
! vote for Allan's Armory. Excellent reputation.

https://www.allans-armory.com/aa.php
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 11:22:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Plus 1 always been consistent with excellent friendly service and good pricing
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 11:50:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe I'm missing it on that 1990's of a website but I dont see any deals or even pistols for that matter.  If I'm just not seeing it please share a link.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Maybe I'm missing it on that 1990's of a website but I dont see any deals or even pistols for that matter.  If I'm just not seeing it please share a link.

Thanks
View Quote

sign up for his emails. As he gets stuff in he emails it out and posts it on gunboards. The good stuff usually gets spoken for pretty quick after it comes in
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 4:23:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

sign up for his emails. As he gets stuff in he emails it out and posts it on gunboards. The good stuff usually gets spoken for pretty quick after it comes in
View Quote

Oh ok, so you have to be part of the in-crowd just to have first crack at the good stuff.  Something to keep in mind.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#21]
That's a pretty common model in milsurp world.

It's similar with The Mosin Crate amd Empire Arms.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 9:58:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Milsurps are NOT the only C&R guns out there (although milsurps get the most attention).

ANY firearm over 50 years old = C&R.

Use your imagination and scrounge internet sources.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 11:13:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Milsurps are NOT the only C&R guns out there (although milsurps get the most attention).

View Quote

In years past I spent hours sifting through GB.  Either zero deals or sellers that were ignorant and/or refused to accept C&R licenses.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 11:56:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

In years past I spent hours sifting through GB.  Either zero deals or sellers that were ignorant and/or refused to accept C&R licenses.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- fair point.  

I have gone around and around with actual FFLs about this.  Several times.

I have offered to call the ATF on the phone right there in the shop.

I have gotten out cash money and waived it around.

Some gun store owners are just dumb as sh*t and understand very little about the regulations and laws of their own business.

It is sad.  But good that you point this out now for OP.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 10:15:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Oh ok, so you have to be part of the in-crowd just to have first crack at the good stuff.  Something to keep in mind.  

Thanks!
View Quote

The days of SOG flyers and Century Flyers are are over unfortunately
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 4:26:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

- fair point.  

Some gun store owners are just dumb as sh*t and understand very little about the regulations and laws of their own business.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- fair point.  

It's amazing how ignorant some sellers are about FFL03 transfers. I had won a pre 64 Winchester 94 on GB. Seller wouldn't ship to me. I explained about FFL03 transfers still a no go. I even sent him a direct link to the FFLeZCheck, where it states it's not for FFL03 verifications. Still wouldn't ship. Cancelled my win and took my money elsewhere.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It's amazing how ignorant some sellers are about FFL03 transfers. I had won a pre 64 Winchester 94 on GB. Seller wouldn't ship to me. I explained about FFL03 transfers still a no go. I even sent him a direct link to the FFLeZCheck, where it states it's not for FFL03 verifications. Still wouldn't ship. Cancelled my win and took my money elsewhere.
View Quote

Whether or not they are ignorant about it, it is a seller's right to not accept your FFL-03, and want to go through a dealer. Their firearm, their rules... so either comply or take money elsewhere.

If they want to, they can call the ATF and verify, but some people view it as a bother that they don't want to deal with. I've dealt with sellers who gave me crap for FTF sales due to my C&R being out of NJ (one guy at a PA gun show wanted me to have another seller leave his booth to tell him that it was legal... which I told him I'll walk him over to the other guy for him to discuss it... but said gun wasn't worth the bother to the other individual)... but it is their loss.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#28]
OP, your best source now is pawn/gun shops and gun shows.  

Look specifically foe some "militaria" shows and most of the guns in there will be C&R.

Just realize the heyday of cheap milsurp is gone.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Look specifically foe some "militaria" shows and most of the guns in there will be C&R.

View Quote

Gone, or just not around right now?  

The reason I ask is because, with all the millitaries all over the globe, especially the bigger ones, I'd have a hard time believing none of them 1) Have a ton of outdated/out of service guns and 2) Would want to sell them.  

Definitely regretting not buying a crate of Nagants or Yugo SKS when I had the chance.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The reason I ask is because, with all the millitaries all over the globe, especially the bigger ones, I'd have a hard time believing none of them 1) Have a ton of outdated/out of service guns and 2) Would want to sell them.  

Definitely regretting not buying a crate of Nagants or Yugo SKS when I had the chance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gone mostly.

Several reasons.

What will be surplused in the future is mostly select fire.  It is a pain to turn those into saleable parts.

Many countries have gone woke and now just destroy surplus.

The marketplace is more aware of the value and the few things that are left. like the shitty Carcanos, are selling for mutiple hundreds of dollars.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 12:58:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Gone mostly.

Several reasons.

What will be surplused in the future is mostly select fire.  It is a pain to turn those into saleable parts.

The marketplace is more aware of the value and the few things that are left. like the shitty Carcanos, are selling for mutiple hundreds of dollars.
View Quote

Woke trumps money on a government level in other countries??  

Personally, I'm more of a fan of pistols anyway.  I mean, I would welcome common caliber rifles like the x39 or 5.56...even 7.62.  But the odd stuff that no other guns shoot...unless it's dirt cheap and in sealed cans, no thanks.  

But with the proliferation of the 9mm (9x19 luger) cartridge, there's ZERO other countries that 1) Aren't woke and 2) Phased out the guns pre-1971 that shot it?  

Link Posted: 11/30/2020 3:55:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Personally, I'm more of a fan of pistols anyway.  I mean, I would welcome common caliber rifles like the x39 or 5.56...even 7.62.  But the odd stuff that no other guns shoot...unless it's dirt cheap and in sealed cans, no thanks.  

But with the proliferation of the 9mm (9x19 luger) cartridge, there's ZERO other countries that 1) Aren't woke and 2) Phased out the guns pre-1971 that shot it?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gone mostly.

Several reasons.

There will be pistols coming in.  Except from NATO countries.  Some stupid proliferation rule they cant surplus small arms.

But pistols are in far less numbers than rifles. And countries keep them longer.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 2:53:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just mailed my license application today.  Hopefully I'll have my license in a month or two.  I mainly got it because I'd like to pick up some more TT-33's and I figured I'd save myself some effort and dealer fees on the purchase.

Haven't had my license in a number of years.  And the last time I did, SKS, Nagants, CZ-52, CZ-82, and TT-33's were the bargains.  At least those were the ones I paid attention to.  Super cheap and fun guns.  Now I see those all have just about doubled in price from when I bought them...except for the TT-33's which I'm guessing are still plentiful.  

I realize the $100-$200 guns might be a thing of the past, but what are the current bargains being offered?

Also, any places that still give free shipping and/or discounts to C&R/03's?

Thanks!
View Quote

You can get the 10% Dealer Discount on most items at gunpartscorp.com with your C&R.
This alone has paid for my C&R lol
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 7:03:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Most of my buys are from the EE.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 9:03:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

C&R's on the EE??  Never seen them there.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here. It is a slower forum but I check it often. Sometimes not often enough some things go fast.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipment-Exchange/Curio-And-Relic/131/
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 10:21:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Brownells and Wolff gun springs give a discount. There’s others. Midway stopped a few years back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top