Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2019 3:18:17 PM EDT
Been wanting a fal for a long time.

Finally got off my ass and bought myself a Imbel kit for Xmas.

Ds arms is out of receivers, a google search has people saying they are busy with their Izzy receivers and wont have regular receivers listed for a while.

Coonan is doing some sort of transition and has nothing listed.

3rd party dealers i have found dont seem to have anything in stock.

I am not really looking to spend $600-$800 on an old argy or imbel import. Just looking for a decent receiver to complete my build.

Being new to fals, is there a source or dealer i am missing?
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 6:33:33 PM EDT
[#1]
No one really makes a decent receiver anymore.  The good stuff is all used or old stock and will cost $$.  I went with a NOS IMBEL receiver.  I think I paid $525 for it a couple of years ago in a group buy.  I had originally gone with someone's unused Coonan Type 3 from when they were still putting out decent quality, for $300, but it disappeared en route to the FFL.

An older Coonan might be the cheapest route.  Other than that, you're stuck with the pricier stuff (older DSA, IMBEL, FMAP, maybe the occasional FN that somehow ended up stripped).

FAL Files Marketplace is probably the best place to shop.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 12:31:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Just a few weeks ago I bought a new old stock Imbel Gear logo receiver from Pars International for $545 plus $20 shipping. Cheapest I could find and the absolute best and correct receiver for an Imbel kit I bought from What A Country.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 10:10:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No one really makes a decent receiver anymore.  The good stuff is all used or old stock and will cost $$.  I went with a NOS IMBEL receiver.  I think I paid $525 for it a couple of years ago in a group buy.  I had originally gone with someone's unused Coonan Type 3 from when they were still putting out decent quality, for $300, but it disappeared en route to the FFL.

An older Coonan might be the cheapest route.  Other than that, you're stuck with the pricier stuff (older DSA, IMBEL, FMAP, maybe the occasional FN that somehow ended up stripped).

FAL Files Marketplace is probably the best place to shop.
View Quote
Whats wrong with current dsa or coonan?

Good looking out about fal files. I started lurking there last week.

Their market place looks like a good resource, receivers seem to go quick though.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just a few weeks ago I bought a new old stock Imbel Gear logo receiver from Pars International for $545 plus $20 shipping. Cheapest I could find and the absolute best and correct receiver for an Imbel kit I bought from What A Country.
View Quote
Nice.

Yeah i got my kit from m&a parts for $550.

I saw Arizona response has argy upper receivers for $750. Too rich for my blood.

$550 for an imbel type 3 is a great price, i may have to jump on that.

I was hoping for something around $350. But a $500 imbel might be the way to go.

As i said, i am not super locked in to having to have the correct receiver, just looking for a good receiver, i intend to shoot this rifle alot. having a matching rifle wouldnt be cool but its not essential

In other weaponn builds i have done in the past, i have a tenancy to over buy, just a few extra for a nicer part here and there. In the end i go wayyy over budget and often over spend the cost of a complete rifle.

Trying not to do that here... Lol might end up being unavoidable.

For budget, I still gotta get all the tools, barrel vice, receiver wrench, pin gauges, head space gauges, torque wrench.

Plus semi fcg, muzzle device, and a bunch of us made mags.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I have never had anyone bring me a receiver that couldn't be made to work.

But...

-CIA unibrows tend to have feed issues
-Coonans I have had a few with slanted bbl threading
-DSA usually needs a fair amount of deburring and seem to need very short locking shoulders
-Imbels just work
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought Coonan stopped after some issues of unbuildable inch receivers.   Said builders were too picky according to customers talking on Falfiles
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 9:10:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Just got an email from ds arms. Rep is saying they will have a few type 1s and 2s in stock soon. I may try for the ds arms if i can get one and if not go with pars.

Imbel does sound really nice but its hard for me to justify the extra $200 over the dsa.

Plus 922c to think about.

Still i am really on the fense about it at this point.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 12:26:51 PM EDT
[#8]
DSA are fine, just get some cratex tips for your dremel and be prepared to have to find a short LS.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 12:33:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

DSA are fine, just get some cratex tips for your dremel and be prepared to have to find a short LS.
View Quote
Just dehorning a few sharp edges or busting off the tops of a few tooling marks under the finish? or serious dremeling of badly burred dimentions?

What are you doing to touch up finish on deburred spots?
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:40:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Edit: nevermind. Dsa back in stock and ordered.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 4:22:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just dehorning a few sharp edges or busting off the tops of a few tooling marks under the finish? or serious dremeling of badly burred dimentions?

What are you doing to touch up finish on deburred spots?
View Quote
Just sharp edges.

Why refinish...is it going in a safe?  
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 4:52:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Ha!

Point taken.  Nope, not looking for a safe queen anyway.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 6:22:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Ended up settling for a dsa type 1 w/ handle cut.

Q for the imbel gurus.

Where m964s always type 3? Or did imbel use type 1 or 2 earlier on.

Not that it matters for my build.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 12:19:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'll be holding out for Coonan as they're the only manufacturer that allowed for custom serial #'s on the receiver.  My daughter has her first name and numerical birthdate as the serial # on an AR pistol, two AR's, Bowers CAC22 pink suppressor, three AK's and now I want her to have a FAL.
View Quote
Cool.

Ya know, you could always get a different receiver and get it engraved. Wouldnt be the sn but still could do name and dob on it.

Have you picked up a kit yet?
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 2:55:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Ahh i see. Well hpefully coonan gets up and running again and hopefully they bring back the custom sn request option.

Pretty happy with my own imbel kit. Barrel seem in great shape.

I was originally going to get one of the sarco Chilean/Cuban kits. But i hesitated and they sold out.

Pretty happy i ended up with the imbel instead after seeing my kit.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 9:19:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'll be holding out for Coonan as they're the only manufacturer that allowed for custom serial #'s on the receiver.  My daughter has her first name and numerical birthdate as the serial # on an AR pistol, two AR's, Bowers CAC22 pink suppressor, three AK's and now I want her to have a FAL.
View Quote
I'm not sure that Coonan is still doing any custom serials or other custom markings anymore.  Their quality controul has been going downhill and they basically refuse to warranty their product, from what I understand.  If there's an issue, as far as they're concerned, the receiver is not the problem (even if it is).

A DSA rep once said they were looking into allowing custom serials, but that was a while ago and nothing ever happened (just like many other promises).
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 9:26:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ended up settling for a dsa type 1 w/ handle cut.

Q for the imbel gurus.

Where m964s always type 3? Or did imbel use type 1 or 2 earlier on.

Not that it matters for my build.
View Quote
The earliest IMBELs were Type 2 and even had the internal lightening cuts on the lowers.  I've seen the parts kits.  They then switched to Type 3, although I've seen Type 2 barrel stubs on matching kits with a Type 3 lower and vice versa, and I think they had some Type 3s with the rearmost Type 2 cut to match the lower's recoil plate (I believe the Argies did this as well).  At some point (no later than the mid-1990s) they switched to the Type 4 upper, although unlike FN Type 4s, they remained forged and not cast.  Earlier Type 3 lowers have half of the internal lightening cuts (I have one such lower) found in earlier lowers, while the later ones lack then.  I don't believe they ever adopted the Type 4 lower (even FN didn't make many as far as I can tell).  The new upper for the IA2 may possibly be a casting, and has lightening cuts that kinda resemble a Type 2's.  The lowers are a new type with a side sling bar and designed to use a new polymer combination grip and trigger guard that attaches different (and all are the para type, I believe).

Hopefully your DSA upper is in-spec.  That can be a real issue with them.  Their quality controul is quite lacking since they began making the receivers in-house rather than contracting with LMT to have them made.  If it needs work, Mark Graham is the best guy to go to for that.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The earliest IMBELs were Type 2 and even had the internal lightening cuts on the lowers.  I've seen the parts kits.  They then switched to Type 3, although I've seen Type 2 barrel stubs on matching kits with a Type 3 lower and vice versa, and I think they had some Type 3s with the rearmost Type 2 cut to match the lower's recoil plate (I believe the Argies did this as well).  At some point (no later than the mid-1990s) they switched to the Type 4 upper, although unlike FN Type 4s, they remained forged and not cast.  Earlier Type 3 lowers have half of the internal lightening cuts (I have one such lower) found in earlier lowers, while the later ones lack then.  I don't believe they ever adopted the Type 4 lower (even FN didn't make many as far as I can tell).  The new upper for the IA2 may possibly be a casting, and has lightening cuts that kinda resemble a Type 2's.  The lowers are a new type with a side sling bar and designed to use a new polymer combination grip and trigger guard that attaches different (and all are the para type, I believe).

Hopefully your DSA upper is in-spec.  That can be a real issue with them.  Their quality controul is quite lacking since they began making the receivers in-house rather than contracting with LMT to have them made.  If it needs work, Mark Graham is the best guy to go to for that.
View Quote
Thanks! Wont be correct i guess but should be a good rifle. Hope the build goes smoth.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 8:05:36 PM EDT
[#21]
@bigstick61

Anything to watch for as far as out of spec stuff on the dsa?

Places to measure etc...
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 8:29:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Check out Mark Graham's ("gunplumber") threads on receiver issues on the FAL Files.

General reviews:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417510

Warped Receivers:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428937

And in case you want to get one of their alloy lowers to save some weight:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428954

And for those interested, barrel defects:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=436385

And Coonan receiver issues:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419130
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 9:21:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks. Will make some good reading as soon as i have a chance.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 9:43:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have never had a DSA.  People on TOS gets all bent out of shape over DSA, and you just handle it like it's no big deal.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#25]
TOS???
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
TOS???
View Quote
The Other Site
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:23:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Ohh, duh. Need more coffee
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 2:27:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Dsa Receiver is at my ffl. Picking it up monday.

We will see if my cheaping out leaves me with an out of spec receiver...
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 1:28:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Dsa Receiver is at my ffl. Picking it up monday.

We will see if my cheaping out leaves me with an out of spec receiver...
View Quote
You are a long way from me, so I cannot help you, but the FAL faithful are legion, IF you need help.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You are a long way from me, so I cannot help you, but the FAL faithful are legion, IF you need help.
View Quote
Thanks. Yeah i created a fafiles login with this sceenname.

Havent gotten around to starting any threads over there yet.

I put out my feeler tentacles in my local circles for guys that got fal tools to borrow. Nothing yet but we will see.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top