Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2023 9:52:51 AM EDT
I have a somewhat big head (7 5/8) and the stock chinstrap on the Crye Nightcap was not great.  There was a guy on the Gram who swapped over to a Ops Core Head-Loc 4-Point H-Nape, which will accommodate much larger heads and costs about $28 on eBay, but he didn't post a lot of pics.  I did this mod yesterday and it's great for big-headed dudes who want to use a Nightcap.  I used 550 cord to attach the back connections but a D-Ring or even a zip tie would have accomplished the same objective.  Up front on both sides, I reused the factory rings.  Side benefit is the strap routing is now improved for running earpro.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/15/2023 9:54:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Eric_T_Cartman] [#1]
Moar pics:

Edit to add:  I am running the Crye Nightcap rear counterweight pouch, but removed it for these pics as it covers the relevant parts of the Nightcap mod.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 12:24:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Off to EBay to buy a few H Nape. Thank OP great mod to the Night Cap
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 11:43:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks good! I solved my Nightcap issues by using the 'EE' option....
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 10:37:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Will have to look at that. The stock harness sux.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 11:13:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Would definitely recommend this even if you don't have a big head. I used a strap from one of my packs and it makes a world of difference.

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:59:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Any chance this is the right EBay listing? Seller notes this is a S/M/L/XL, but yours shows L/XL. Couldn’t find any part number to match the one shown in your photo on this listing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175419498325?hash=item28d7d11f55:g:fVkAAOSwU~xg-HiD
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 1:49:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bigdot:
Any chance this is the right EBay listing? Seller notes this is a S/M/L/XL, but yours shows L/XL. Couldn’t find any part number to match the one shown in your photo on this listing.

View Quote

Hmmm, not sure.  Here is my packaging:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 7:36:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I might have to do that as well, as soon as I figure out the proper way to get the holes in the thing. I would admit I haven't tried too hard.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 7:51:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MunnyShot] [#10]
Originally Posted By KPog:
I might have to do that as well, as soon as I figure out the proper way to get the holes in the thing. I would admit I haven't tried too hard.
View Quote

@KPog If you're referring to mounting the shroud, shine a light from the under side to see the pre drilled holes in the plastic backing plate, then use a soldering iron to poke through the fabric.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By bigdot:

View Quote

There are several variants of there, so you have to be careful of which one you buy. Make sure the mounting holes are correct. I have bought a few that where size specific as well as one that was universal fit all sizes
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:31:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Any reason why the universal-fit chinstrap wouldn't work with this mod?

I need a left-handed one but the only one I can find on ebay is an S-XL model.

FWIW my head measurement lands right in the middle of Ops Core's S-XL chinstrap size range.

Link Posted: 5/5/2023 9:40:15 AM EDT
[#13]
No reason at all. It works just fine.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 6:47:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for costing me money! It was well spent.

As to the universal-sized question (S-XL version) - that's what I got, and I believe I prefer it for two reasons:

1. I purchased two - I have a 7-3/4 head and my son has a smaller head, and it worked for both of us; and

2. we were able to tie it directly into the loops on the night cap without having to use the paracord adapter that the OP used.

I appreciate the suggestion, OP. I had not been using my night cap due to not being able to make it comfortable for me. I'll give it a go this weekend to see how it works for me now compared to the raptor sentinel I've been using for soft mounting.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:11:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By jowga:
Thanks for costing me money! It was well spent.

As to the universal-sized question (S-XL version) - that's what I got, and I believe I prefer it for two reasons:

1. I purchased two - I have a 7-3/4 head and my son has a smaller head, and it worked for both of us; and

2. we were able to tie it directly into the loops on the night cap without having to use the paracord adapter that the OP used.

I appreciate the suggestion, OP. I had not been using my night cap due to not being able to make it comfortable for me. I'll give it a go this weekend to see how it works for me now compared to the raptor sentinel I've been using for soft mounting.
View Quote

I followed your path but my harness has grommets at the tops, for attaching to a helmet.  How did you connect those to the hangers on the nightcap?  The harness ends are sewn on so I cant thread them through the nightcap directly.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 9:07:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I used the metal rings of the Ncap.
This is one of the most useful mods I've gotten off this site.
SJC
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Looks like the op used the metal rings in the front and paracord in the back.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Do the metal rings just pull apart?
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#19]
If I recall correctly they have a cut in the middle top bar.  Just get pliers and bend them a little
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By JonLSU:
If I recall correctly they have a cut in the middle top bar.  Just get pliers and bend them a little
View Quote

This is correct
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

Yep, that's how I did it. Similar to the pic a couple of replies above. He seems to have the tighter size range like the OP, but it works the same with the S-XL harness.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 9:46:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I checked and my night cap's metal square loop brackets do not have a seam on them.  Are they painted over and thus hard to see?  In the middle or the sides?
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 5:42:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JonLSU] [#23]
Originally Posted By codifier:
I checked and my night cap's metal square loop brackets do not have a seam on them.  Are they painted over and thus hard to see?  In the middle or the sides?
View Quote

I just did one of mine.  The seam is in the top of the loop so you have to roll it around to the bottom and get a screwdriver and a pair of needle nose pliers and just bend it a little.  

This mod should have been factory.  This makes the nightcap way more comfortable.

I did like the op.  ReUsed the d rings in the front and put paracord in the back.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#24]

I just did one of mine.  The seam is in the top of the loop so you have to roll it around to the bottom and get a screwdriver and a pair of needle nose pliers and just bend it a little.  

This mod should have been factory.  This makes the nightcap way more comfortable.

I did like the op.  ReUsed the d rings in the front and put paracord in the back.
View Quote

Just did the same, now I'm a believer. Haven't played with it too much through strenuous activity but I'm not sure I'll even need a counterweight running a PVS-14. For reference I wear a 7 7/8 hat.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By f402mech:

Just did the same, now I'm a believer. Haven't played with it too much through strenuous activity but I'm not sure I'll even need a counterweight running a PVS-14. For reference I wear a 7 7/8 hat.
View Quote

Where did you buy your harness?
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 9:53:06 PM EDT
[#26]
sadly sold mine because the front straps are too close to each other making glasses not a go.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 4:12:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By chaas67:

Where did you buy your harness?
View Quote

Ebay
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 8:35:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 3:21:45 PM EDT
[#29]
I saw this thread and bought a universal size H-Nape from eBay and it is definitely an upgrade.

Link Posted: 9/21/2023 4:05:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Giving the Shyte Cap one more try. Ordered another one and an H Nape. Looking forward to putting it together, hopefully it works but sounds like it will!
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 1:57:03 AM EDT
[#31]
I did mine recently and it works great.
I used two needle nose pliers to spread the "rings" apart and channel locks to push them back together.
Thanks, OP.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 8:21:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 2:14:56 AM EDT
[#33]
I just installed mine and the difference was huge.

Way more comfortable and stable.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 9:13:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Johnny_C] [#34]
This is a great upgrade for helmets, too.

John
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 2:18:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
sadly sold mine because the front straps are too close to each other making glasses not a go.
View Quote

I haven’t done the OPs mod as the stock harness works fine for me.  As far as eyeglasses go, I did need to pull off the metal d-rings and replace them with a small loop of cord, tied in a simple overhand knot.  My glasses rode right under the metal rings and pushed my glasses all around.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 4:44:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By SekFan:

I haven't done the OPs mod as the stock harness works fine for me.  As far as eyeglasses go, I did need to pull off the metal d-rings and replace them with a small loop of cord, tied in a simple overhand knot.  My glasses rode right under the metal rings and pushed my glasses all around.
View Quote
Oooh I might have to try that.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:13:53 AM EDT
[#37]
I have all four rings split and the original harness removed. I j just need to add the improvised H-Nape harness.

Are all of you cutting off the tan plastic mounting grommets (with the screw holes) that typically would attach the harness to a helmet?
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#38]
I couldn't wait for an answer so I cut them off and installed the new improvised H-Nape harness to the four split rings. I pressed them close with pliers and plan to test it out this weekend. Thanks OP for the inspiration and photos!
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 10:03:23 PM EDT
[#39]
This is probably the best $25 I've spent on night vision.  I just put an l/xl off eBay on there  there and it really changes it up. Only thing I would say is that I barely wear an ops core large helmet, and the adjustment is all the way down on the front section. I'll probably get a small/medium one to get some more adjustment for me and my daughter. But even at $50 that is probably the least I've spent on anything night vision related other than batteries.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top