Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2017 2:11:46 AM EDT
I just acquired this Crosman 1322 from a longtime friend of mine, and needless to say I am impressed. Pellets are dirt cheap, deliver decent knockdown power against small vermin, and more importantly, won't bother the neighbors. With some concentration on my part, I can shoot off the caps of 2-liter bottles from 25 yards standing.

Optics are a Kmart All-Pro 4 x 15 scope that looks fairly old. The light gathering sucks and this scope will be coming off as soon as I replace the 50s Weaver K2.5 on my hunting rifle with a proper Leupold.

The plastic buttstock turns this little pistol into a compact carbine of sorts, rather like a Mauser M712 Schnellfeuer beloved of storm troops and Chinese warlords alike. Using this stock setup, is there a way to add sling swivels to it?

The pump mechanism extended. Any sling attachment cannot obstruct the movement of the pump.

The two holes in the plastic furniture both go all the way through the handguard -- perhaps one could put a sling loop there? The third hole on the left goes through the air cylinder and is the hinge for the pump.

I would like to keep this modification as simple as possible. I'm thinking about using something simple like an M1 Carbine sling. The sling should preferably be mounted on the side (like the M1 Carbine) rather than on the bottom (like the M1 Garand), so the Crosman can rest easily against my back when slung. Looping a sling through the buttstock seems straightforward, but the placement of the front swivel has me stumped.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:24:23 PM EDT
[#1]
If I were to mount a sling to it, I'd go with a screw that passes through the pump pivot spring pin (AKA roll pin).  The screw would hold a fairly conventional sling swivel.  However, such a system would require some machining, or careful hand metal work to craft this front sling mount.  

It would not be all that strong for the screw/pin that passes through the pin would be a #6 or at most a #8 screw size.  For this reason, I'd want to carry the thing muzzle down.  This kind of carry  would significantly reduce the forces on that rather delicate sling mount.

Another option would be to use a choker leather or fabric sling loop at the muzzle end just behind the front sight.  This might be a bit stronger for a muzzle up carry and would be simpler to implement.  But, this solution might interfere with the pump in full extension.

All that said, I have carried many an airgun of similar or larger size afield.  If it is something that I felt was going to be of frequent or immediate use, it was carried in hand.  If it was going to be carried to "camp" or similar where significant time was available to get it out, then it was carried in a pack (often broken down with buttstock removed).
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:34:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the helpful advice, ArimoDave. I think we agree that the front sling attachment will be the most difficult part. While browsing through different sling attachments, I came across this BFG universal wire loop. Seems pretty simple. Maybe a crude front sling loop can be approximated with a ziptie?

http://i.imgur.com/6K38mQ5.jpg

I've resolved half of the problem with this Tactical Tailor buttstock magazine pouch, which I found in the surplus store rummage bin for a princely $5. The stock on the LWRC DI I'm eyeing at the LGS is a poor fit for the TT pouch, so the logical next place to put it was on the Crosman. The setup allows me to keep hundreds of pellets on the Crosman at all times, and what's more, the D ring is a perfect fit for an M1 Carbine sling.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I've no use for a sling but I can certainly attest to usefulness of the 1377 in killing starlings at 25 yards. It's amazingly accurate and hard hitting for what it is.

I put a carbine stock, steel breech, and super-pumper forend on it and topped it with a old BSA red dot I bought for a couple bucks at the flea market.

Put dot on Starling, pull trigger, dead Starling.

I found that it really likes the RWS Superdome pellets.

Keep a couple of pumps of air in it and properly lubed and it will last you a very long time.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 10:55:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I have no better ideas than mentioned but I have one too.
For as cheap looking as the whole thing is, the numbers don't lie. t's got pretty good power and is accurate despite the horrid sights.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 11:56:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Picked up a 22 version at a thrift store for $8 bucks, it was a lil rusty and one of the original rear knob cocking Medallion models. Cleaned, lubed and still going strong !! Picked up some spare parts on eBay to have on hand, newer models are highly customizable
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top