Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2019 9:59:07 PM EDT
These magazines have hardly been used and I am noticing cracks on the left rear area on three out of my four SCAR 17 magazines.  They are stored empty and there is no peening like the bolt carrier assembly is striking them. Other than the cracks shown the magazines look like new. Is this common? Forgive me if this has been brought up before. This is my second SCAR 17 and I never had issues with the magazines before these last three.

Link Posted: 1/5/2019 10:27:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I have some well used Belgian FDE surplus showing the same issue. I use them for range mags and they still work 100%.
In my notes I have written a known cracking issue with black 9/11 code mags. What are the date codes on these ?
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 9:35:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Here are the marking on the magazines. What is the date code? Is it 3/11?
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 1:48:54 AM EDT
[#3]
My range mags are like that too. But they function fine.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 2:02:12 AM EDT
[#4]
All those years of FAL mags not cracking, even the Para mags. I never saw one. Pisses me off, the quality should be there.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 1:45:45 PM EDT
[#5]
For $35 to $40 a piece the quality should be there. I have $10 AR/M16 magazines I have used at work and for play without any issues. I opened a customer service case with them. Hopefully I'll hear back.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 4:26:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For $35 to $40 a piece the quality should be there. I have $10 AR/M16 magazines I have used at work and for play without any issues. I opened a customer service case with them. Hopefully I'll hear back.
View Quote
Just checked mine this weekend and had the same issue with my hunting mag it has maybe 40 rounds through it.  FN wants me to ship it to them on my dime and will not tell me if it is even covered under warranty.
Really rethinking the SLP MK1 I have been looking for.  The level of CS I am getting and the hoops just to get this addressed is kind of ridiculous.
The magazine jams and feeds like shit.  I discovered it this weekend when I went verifying zero of my hunting ammo and the mag was misfeeding.
Attachment Attached File

@hker71
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Just checked mine this weekend and had the same issue with my hunting mag it has maybe 40 rounds through it.  FN wants me to ship it to them on my dime and will not tell me if it is even covered under warranty.
Really rethinking the SLP MK1 I have been looking for.  The level of CS I am getting and the hoops just to get this addressed is kind of ridiculous.
The magazine jams and feeds like shit.  I discovered it this weekend when I went verifying zero of my hunting ammo and the mag was misfeeding.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/127189/IMG_0160_jpeg-807876.JPG

@hker71
View Quote
What is the date code on yours ?
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What is the date code on yours ?
Thanks
View Quote
@Grinder
Attachment Attached File

All my mags have the same code but no others have the crack.  This is probably one of the least used mags except for ones I still have in the packaging stowed away for a rainy day.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 9:43:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Well I shipped mine back. They arrived yesterday so I'm waiting to see what happens. The lady I talked to on the phone was helpful. I was told to ship the mags back and when I checked the progress of my case it says waiting for firearm. I am not shipping it back. I guess I'll be calling in the next few days.

It is very strange to me is that the crack appeared on three of my four mags. They have all be used the same amount of times with the same amount of rounds through them.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 9:45:17 PM EDT
[#10]
What I am seriously thinking about doing is buying the Stryker Enterprises lower. I have several 25 round P-Mags, but I'm having a hard time forking out an additional $400.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:34:35 PM EDT
[#11]
You are not the only one who feels that way buddy.  They gave me grief about the mag as well and wanted the rifle serial number like it had any bearing on the mag failure.  Maybe it is related to a certain group of SCARs that are cracking mag lips.  Is yours an early model or a later model?

6 or 7 lug bolt?
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 8:07:56 AM EDT
[#12]
When I bought my 17s in 2012, the magazine that came with the gun was cracked in that exact spot. FN replaced it. I just had another one recently split in the same spot.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#13]
My SCAR 17 is older. 6 lugs on bolt.

I hope FN replaces mine. These were NOS I bought from a LGS. If they were around AR15 magazine price it wouldn't bother me so much.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 9:42:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Checked mine this evening and all of them are good to go.

Link Posted: 1/17/2019 11:31:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I just watched an episode of Small Arms Solutions on The SCAR 17 on YouTube and Chris was talking about issues with FN SCAR 17 mag durability. He showed pictures of a mag missing a large chunk out of the area where the cracks are occurring. I’m leaning more heavily toward the Stryker Enterprises lower.

I’m still going to keep my fingers crossed on FN replacing mine.

Tranzformer I looked at my buddy’s FDE mags and his are all perfect. He has shot his 17 a lot!
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I had a few crack over the years (none of the Belgian made mags cracked) FN replaced them.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 1:14:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Anyone sent in a mag for warranty?  What kind of turn around?
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 9:56:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What I am seriously thinking about doing is buying the Stryker Enterprises lower. I have several 25 round P-Mags, but I'm having a hard time forking out an additional $400.
View Quote
X-Products is a bit cheaper.  I say: 'don't shell out for the lower parts kit' though, its pretty easy to swap over.  Doesn't take crazy tools either.

I have 5 factory mags (haven't even looked to see if they are cracked) but have plenty of 7.62N P-Mags, Lancers and a couple KAC & LaRue mags.

So that just made sense for me to do the lower swap and use those mags.

Will

EDITED TO ADD: X-Products past CEO (Current?) has previously engaged in anti-2nd Amendment support, so CHOOSE WISELY!  I didn't know that when I bought mine, and WOULD have chosen something else!
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 2:22:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I just heard from FN and they are replacing my three magazines! They are shipping tomorrow. I'm impressed!
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 12:38:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I just heard from FN and they are replacing my three magazines! They are shipping tomorrow. I'm impressed!
View Quote
@hker71
What was the turn around on time?  I sent mine in mind January and still crickets.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#21]
They had them since 01/16/19. I received an e-mail yesterday. I had to call in an talk to someone on the customer service number.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
@hker71
What was the turn around on time?  I sent mine in mind January and still crickets.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@hker71
Just remember Shot Show was in there and post Shot Show stuff they had to get done to catch back up. They will take care of you.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 11:09:29 PM EDT
[#23]
FN came through! I received my three replacement mags today! They look great! No date codes on them and they are slightly different in the rear end profile. I’ll get a comparison photo up tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:24:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Just remember Shot Show was in there and post Shot Show stuff they had to get done to catch back up. They will take care of you.
View Quote
Repair service with the exception of a very limited amount of stuff for .mil, LE, industry, and special projects are handled by customer service at the factory in SC. SHOT shouldnt have any effect on customer service for warranty repairs.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:27:26 PM EDT
[#25]
I got my new magazine it came in it has no markings and looks just like my others.

I got to talk to an FN employee and got an explanation on why some crack and some do not.  They are nitride treated and apparently some mags the treatment penetrated deeper than it was supposed to leading to the magazines developing the crack since the metal was penetrated too deep with the treatment.  He said many that will get the crack will never have an issue as it does not change the feed lip geometry but some can develop the issue like mine.

It took a little while but they came through and got me a new mag.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:15:01 PM EDT
[#26]
I’m glad they took care of you too. So far so good with my replacements.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top