Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2019 3:04:15 PM EDT
(Reposted from Marlin Owners)

I've always loved lever-actions and, in particular, the straight-stocked ones have always given me that warm-and-fuzzy feeling. I've also had a thing for short carbines.

So, when I saw the 1894CSBL, after getting over the feeling that it Owen Grady's rifle's little brother, I set out to see if I could "set it straight."

For the conversion, as most know, you need three parts: a straight 1894 lever, a straight stock (1894/336/etc) and an 1894 straight trigger plate.

Being stainless and pepper made each one a little tougher than blued/walnut, but none more so than the already hard to find trigger plates. Marlin doesn't sell them (you have to send your rifle in to have one replaced/repaired) and the usual shops (MGW, Numrich, etc) did not have any in stock (new or used.)

Then, one day, my prayers were answered. A shop north of the border had a complete lever/plate/trigger assembly from an 1894SS for a very reasonable price (about half what the two would normally cost purchased separately.) I jumped on it! Shortly after, I found a good deal on an 1894CSBL from a reputable shop. The stock was sourced from MGW. All three orders came in on the same day.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The installation was pretty straightforward. The fit was very good, but not perfect. The trigger plate stuck out a hair at the back end, which was fixed with a touch more depth on the inlay. There was a noticeable gap between the back end of the tang and the stock.  I fixed that by bedding it with some JB Steel Stik (dark gray two-part expoxy.)  You have to look to see it now. Overall, though, those were minor.  Function-wise, it works great from the first shot and is very handy.

The last pic is just for fun, using what I had around the shop. I'm likely going to put a mini red dot on it and I already replaced the black p-cord lever wrap with a gray p-cord one.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the straight stocks.  That front stock is out of proportion.

Link Posted: 6/24/2019 7:34:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Ha!  I’ve got a plain Jane blued 1894.  I want to do the exact opposite conversion: go big loop and pistol grip stock.

I’m seriously considering selling my rifle and picking up the factory version.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 11:12:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I agree that the forestocks on the Marlins are too fat.  But then I also think that Marlin's stocks in general are too fat.  It gives them a blocky feel I just don't like.

As to a straight vs pistol grip stock, I have 2 Uberti's, a 19" '66 Yellowboy carbine with a straight stock and a 24" '73 rifle with a pistol grip stock.  I like the feel of the pistol grip on the rifle in conjunction with the tang rear sight I use on it better than my straight stocked 24" Rossi rifle configured the same way.

My 20" Rossi carbine also has a straight stock so it would seem that for carbines, I like the straight stocks and the longer rifles with tang sights, I like the pistol grips better. Go figure.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Funny- I just bought an 1895 pistol grip stock set and complete trigger plate assembly from a gun parts wholesaler in Canada too.  Western Gun Parts?  
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 5:19:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I agree that the forestocks on the Marlins are too fat.  But then I also think that Marlin's stocks in general are too fat.  It gives them a blocky feel I just don't like.

As to a straight vs pistol grip stock, I have 2 Uberti's, a 19" '66 Yellowboy carbine with a straight stock and a 24" '73 rifle with a pistol grip stock.  I like the feel of the pistol grip on the rifle in conjunction with the tang rear sight I use on it better than my straight stocked 24" Rossi rifle configured the same way.

My 20" Rossi carbine also has a straight stock so it would seem that for carbines, I like the straight stocks and the longer rifles with tang sights, I like the pistol grips better. Go figure.
View Quote
I like the feel, but the straight stock just looks better to me.  I don't really like checkering, but you just have to take what you get sometimes.

Link Posted: 6/30/2019 5:28:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I may be just a tad jealous of this little project.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 11:35:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41996/Marlin_CBII-689496.jpg
View Quote
Quoted:
View Quote
I actually like a little "meat on the bones" when it comes to stocks.  It is, perhaps, a little bit long, though.

Quoted:

View Quote
I'm the same way.  If I were to go long-barrel hunting lever, it would probably have a pistol grip.  For a 16" carbine, I like 'em straight.

Quoted:
Funny- I just bought an 1895 pistol grip stock set and complete trigger plate assembly from a gun parts wholesaler in Canada too.  Western Gun Parts?  
View Quote
Yup!

Quoted:
I like the feel, but the straight stock just looks better to me.  I don't really like checkering, but you just have to take what you get sometimes.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41996/1886-689468.jpg
View Quote
Personal preference.  I actually like checkering.  That was one upgrade (for me) of this over the original 1894SS LTD's.

Quoted:
I may be just a tad jealous of this little project.
View Quote
Thanks.  It's been great to shoot with.  I still waiver a little on the stainless/pepper vs. blued/walnut.  Originally, I wanted an 1894CP, but they're hard to come by and usually expensive (not that this was cheap.)  I recently saw a parkerized ported 336 (or 1895) with dark reddish walnut.  Looked like something out of WWII.  Kinda wanted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top