Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 8/11/2020 8:15:15 PM EDT
I stumbled on a local surplus seller via Facebook, and decided to pick a a DH-132B CVC helmet for 36 bucks as a sudden Covid project/dip my toes into ballistic helmets. So, here we are now! I have completed the primary assembly of thr helmet and I'm extremely pleased with how it turned out!

(Apologies for taking forever to get it done)

*UPDATE*
Did not expect to get so many people on board! Below I am sharing my plans for the helmet, as it seems I will do progressive updates. No, i did not go the least expensive route possible. This is more for fun, and to make it into something I want (instead of dropping 400+, or some Korean brand).

I may add rails in the future, but for now I'm just gonna stick with a basic setup and maybe pickup a Surefire HL-1 clamp on illumination device, slap some velcro on for patches, and call it a day!

Thanks!

*The Shell I actually received*

***Retention I've chosen to go with***

**Pad system I've chosen**

Overall Cost to me thus far:

CVC Shell: $42 shipped
TW Epic Air Liner, and velcro discs: $103.64 shipped
TW CAM FIT H-Nape Retention System: $68.95 shipped (thanks for the hookup US Elite!)

Total: $214.59 (And I'm sure some sweat, time, and heartfelt words of contempt)

Additionally, I picked up a Tan Surefire HL1-A to mount on the side for $55 shipped. So technically $269.59 if you wanna get technical for the whole "project" and not just the helmet system itself. Other costs may arise in the future should I elect to get an NVG mount (no need atm), velcro, ARC Rails, or some krylon to repaint.

**UPDATE 2/FINAL?**

So here we are, with all materials (I did opt to use a titanium Brad-Point drill bit per the suggestion of another builder):

Here, we see how the kevlar frays/pulls out of the drilled hole, however you can see directly after that how you can clean that up with a razor blade. I'm sure it can be done much better or more clean but it works for now:

Here, I have marked the rear of the helmet for drilling. Note, the snap button was not centered and I had to ensure NOT to go off of that. Also - the points measured 2.5" from center and appx 1-3/4" up from the bottom of helmet.

One issue I did run into was paying attention to kevlar build up on my drill bit, as it liked to build up and make the bit useless. This was remedied by cleaning, or eventually like I did by pushing more with the drill:

Once drilled, slapped on my velcro tabs in an even placement for padding!:

Here are the pads in place, this picture is pre-drilling but utilizing the same placement regardless:

Ta-Da! Sorry it took so long haha But it was worth it and a fun project for the afternoon:

With the other attachments I've picked up, again pre-drilling but same idea:

So overall, yes this is a very cost effective method to get a ballistic helmet and a neat project. Thanks everyone for your experiences!

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 8:26:01 AM EDT
[#1]
DH132 B are viable, Dh132A are lighter and less bulletproof resistant.

Gentex used the same shape shell fitted with chinstrap and pads marketed as the SOHAH. It has seen some limited military use, but it's a standard issue helmet for the coast guard.

If you want to have the same result you have to buy a liner and chinstrap (either adhesive velcro+ pads or a ops core Liner will fit). Take into account that helmet is sized larger to accomodate a cloth liner.

Pics of Gentex SOHAH in use

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 9:47:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I think you're thinking of the PAGST to high-cuts: https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-PASGT-to-high-cut-helmet-now-times-2-/10-510030/?

I looked into the DH-132 back when it came up in GD but it seemed expensive and more of a project than just buy and assemble into a ballistic helmet. The liner kits and small parts end up being expensive enough that I was going to end up with something that cost 80% of a purpose made helmet but had 50% of the functionality and was kind of clunky/weird. Once I started rucking I realized I'd rather spend the extra weight on water/armor/ammo so I just got a cheap and very light bump helmet. Not sure if this is helpful, just my thoughts.

ETA: See below
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
DH132 B are viable, Dh132A are lighter and less bulletproof resistant.

Gentex used the same shape shell fitted with chinstrap and pads marketed as the SOHAH. It has seen some limited military use, but it's a standard issue helmet for the coast guard.

If you want to have the same result you have to buy a liner and chinstrap (either adhesive velcro+ pads or a ops core Liner will fit). Take into account that helmet is sized larger to accomodate a cloth liner.

Pics of Gentex SOHAH in use

https://images2.imgbox.com/c0/42/ZdRBeAbw_o.jpg

https://images2.imgbox.com/56/d2/FhvCzvyt_o.jpg

https://images2.imgbox.com/7f/d4/fEOxfMhQ_o.jpg
View Quote

Well I decided to say screw it, and went for it. Bad idea? Yet to be seen, but I do really enjoy projects and with COVID, i have more time on my hands than normal.

So itll be fun i think. Will definitely do an update later on.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:01:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link to look at them?
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:13:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Could you message us poor people with the link for those please?
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Could you message us poor people with the link for those please?
View Quote

Yes! Sorry, was away for a bit.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/333436977822820/

It is Facebook, so it's nothing fancy. He has a few, but I'm sure will wonder why a bunch of people are now hitting him up lol.

Also did some more research and yeah, this seems like itll be a really straightforward project (fingers crossed).
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 8:21:22 PM EDT
[#8]
That guy from the ebay link is less than an hour from me. I messaged him to meet and check the helmets out. I will keep you guys posted.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 8:23:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Funny, that's the same seller lol Go through the facebook link I sent.

He wanted less for shipping when I talked to him
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 8:24:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That guy from the ebay link is less than an hour from me. I messaged him to meet and check the helmets out. I will keep you guys posted.
View Quote

Let me know! He seemed reasonable when I talked to him :)

Hope this helps him with his stock!
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 9:21:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I hit him up to make an offer on one.  Also in for more info on pads and straps to finish the helmet.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 9:21:55 PM EDT
[#12]
There's a guy on ebay that sells ones he modernized and remade... rails, shroud, etc. Might be worth looking at for inspiration.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 9:23:15 PM EDT
[#13]
what do you use for the pads and straps for these?
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 10:45:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's a link to an archived armlist ad for a conversion, looks pretty simple - there's a "parts list" and pics in the ad:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150325214519/https://www.armslist.com/posts/4015112/nashville-tennessee-tactical-gear-for-sale-trade--dh-132b-cvc-helmet-conversion-to-a-spec-ops-fast-helmet-w--headset

Size Large
Includes the Following
1 x Large DH-132B Ballistic Helmet CVC Shell
1 x New MICH "H" Harness, Chin Strap, Foliage Green with new hardware
1 x New NVG PVS7 Mount (painted to match helmet)
1 x New Rhino Arm
11 x 3/4" Aero Helmet Pads
Over 20 Velcro Helmet Pad Attachments
5 x Velcro Loop pads for patch placement
View Quote

Prices for just the basic IIIA helmet DIY from eBay would be:
Shell: $40+$14.50 shipping
Liner Pads: $13.99
MICH Strap: $10.99

Total: $79.48

Certainly the best IIIA deal now. I ordered 2, thanks OP

Here's the same thing marked up to sell on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Coyote-Brown-High-Cut-NIJ-IIIA-SOHAH-Ballistic-CVC-Helmet-DEVGRU-SEAL-DH132B/174174604522

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 11:15:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Here's a link to an archived armlist ad for a conversion, looks pretty simple - there's a "parts list" and pics in the ad:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150325214519/https://www.armslist.com/posts/4015112/nashville-tennessee-tactical-gear-for-sale-trade--dh-132b-cvc-helmet-conversion-to-a-spec-ops-fast-helmet-w--headset

Prices for just the basic IIIA helmet DIY from eBay would be:
Shell: $40+$14.50 shipping
Liner Pads: $13.99
MICH Strap: $10.99

Total: $79.48

Certainly the best IIIA deal now. I ordered 2, thanks OP

Here's the same thing marked up to sell on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Coyote-Brown-High-Cut-NIJ-IIIA-SOHAH-Ballistic-CVC-Helmet-DEVGRU-SEAL-DH132B/174174604522

View Quote

Ha! No problem! Happy to give others ideas during these interesting times and to help the seller of the helmets!

I'll likely splurge for the Team Wendy H-Nape retention (more than the helmet lol)

So I'll likely end up around 150 into it, still a hell of a setup considering.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 2:05:47 AM EDT
[#17]
(OLD VIDEO) CVC Helmet Modification (Ops Core/SOHAH-Style Helmet)

Those videos Will easily guide you thru the processo.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 3:15:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I wish I could get the ones without the extra holes/bolt for the tanker stuff to reduce the potential of a bolt pass-through.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 8:02:59 AM EDT
[#19]
So with the sizing on these what does it come out to be after the conversion?  I see info that it is a medium/large. Anyone done one that can speak to the real sizing?  I need something to fit 7 1/4 normal hat sizing.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 8:46:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I wish I could get the ones without the extra holes/bolt for the tanker stuff to reduce the potential of a bolt pass-through.
View Quote

My understanding is that the extra bolt is exclusive to the B (kevlar) model. You could find one without it, but those are only fiberglass "bump" helmets essentially.

And for the sizing, they were only made in S/M, or L. Sounds like when you convert a S/M, its essentially a M/L. Whereas a L turns into a XL.
I've read that people have fine tuned the sizing by just experimenting with pad thickness!
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 9:01:32 AM EDT
[#21]
What pad sets are recommended, especially if we need it sized back towards a medium size?
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 10:36:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What pad sets are recommended, especially if we need it sized back towards a medium size?
View Quote

Stumbling through that myself right now. It seems like the Team Wendy EPIC pad set (about $65) is on the thicker side. However they also have the upgraded EPIC AIR pad set (about $100-$120) which seems to give alot more customization for a specific fit, especially if your running ear pro under the helmet.

That, or some of the more basic (around $35) pad sets seem to be really thick, but of course not as comfy
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 12:13:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks.  I’m thinking something compatible with ear pro is probably a better option.  I’ve seen ACH pad sets that are either 3/4 inch or 1 inch thick.  I’m guessing 1 inch thick is the better choice there.  Would love to find a pad set under $50.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 12:23:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks you bastages!  

Costing me more money!  But cheaper than even the Kota helmet when all said and done even with a little work!

EDIT:  Do not get these rails.  They will not work see post below but I am leaving link so no one else buys them!

What about these rails for the helmet?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ops-Core-Replacment-Fast-ARC-Side-Rails-29-99-301-Tan/184158246811
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 1:50:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Thanks you bastages!  

Costing me more money!  But cheaper than even the Kota helmet when all said and done even with a little work!

What about these rails for the helmet?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ops-Core-Replacment-Fast-ARC-Side-Rails-29-99-301-Tan/184158246811
View Quote

Several builds I've seen use the ARC rails, seems they maybe be a little odd fit but work. Think Im just gonna stick with a more retro/non-rail style personally
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 9:41:02 PM EDT
[#26]
This thread made me dig out my spare DH-132 shell. I have two of them (OD and desert tan). I will leave one with the complete liner with coms setup for display and make a bump helmet out of the other shell. Mine is the original SH-132 from the 70's-80's so it does not have any ballistic protection but it will make a good bump helmet. Mine is dated 5/78 The one I am leaving stock is the one that I wore during Desert Storm and in Germany. The spare was painted desert tan when I was stationed at NTC/Ft Irwin in 95-96.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/13/2020 10:04:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This thread made me dig out my spare DH-132 shell. I have two of them (OD and desert tan). I will leave one with the complete liner with coms setup for display and make a bump helmet out of the other shell. Mine is the original SH-132 from the 70's-80's so it does not have any ballistic protection but it will make a good bump helmet. Mine is dated 5/78 The one I am leaving stock is the one that I wore during Desert Storm and in Germany. The spare was painted desert tan when I was stationed at NTC/Ft Irwin in 95-96.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/101824/IMG_5471_jpeg-1545364.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/101824/IMG_1616_jpeg-1545365.JPG
View Quote

That's pretty sweet!
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 10:10:39 PM EDT
[#28]
The only cost to me is the helmet pad upgrade kit with chin strap from eBay for $35.00 and my time. I went with the 1 inch pads. I tried the 3/4' pads from my MICH 2002 helmet and the fit was a little loose for my liking, I'm sure the 1 " pads will work better.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 7:58:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Just got the shell in the mail today. The one I received looks brand spanking new!!!

Will update OP with my shell, instead of the For sale ad!

Btw, anyone else interested: hit up John on the linked Facebook ad (or even the linked ebay page), he told me today that he had hundreds!

Very excited!
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 8:21:14 PM EDT
[#30]
My shell and other parts should be here early in the week.

I haven't ordered any pads yet since I am still debating between the 4D Deluxe or Team Wendy Cloudline.

I might just wait and see what happens with some other guinea pig before I splurge!
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 9:12:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My shell and other parts should be here early in the week.

I haven't ordered any pads yet since I am still debating between the 4D Deluxe or Team Wendy Cloudline.

I might just wait and see what happens with some other guinea pig before I splurge!
View Quote

Yeah I really went back and forth with the 4Ds before getting the TW Epic Air. I've heard the 4Ds sometimes can be warm, on top of a helmet which also seems to be heat prone.

The TW epic air seems to give a lots of customization and forgiveness, along with ventilation.

Will certainly update the post as things come In (shell pics coming tomorrow morning, picked up my 8 week old puppy and have no energy to ensure proper lighting haha)
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 10:29:00 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought a Skydex PASGT pad upgrade kit with chin strap from eBay. It is the same pads that is in my Kejo MICH helmet. I went with the 1 inch pads for my CVC shell since the 3/4" pads were a little loose for my liking. My shell is marked as a medium.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Skydex-PASGT-Ballistic-Helmet-Pads-Upgrade-Kit-Chinstrap-1-Thick-Pads-LWH/114306405892?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Mine will be strictly a bump helmet since the CVC shell is an original DH-132 (fiberglass shell).  I also bought a set of Ops-Core Replacment Fast ARC Side Rails from eBay too. I don't know if Ill put the rails on my MICH or the CVC shell. Hopefully everything will arrive this week.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 10:46:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yeah I really went back and forth with the 4Ds before getting the TW Epic Air. I've heard the 4Ds sometimes can be warm, on top of a helmet which also seems to be heat prone.

The TW epic air seems to give a lots of customization and forgiveness, along with ventilation.

Will certainly update the post as things come In (shell pics coming tomorrow morning, picked up my 8 week old puppy and have no energy to ensure proper lighting haha)
View Quote

Is the epic air the one that come with 2 different thickness comfort pads?  I was wondering if the cloud does too. I saw one review that said they do but no mention of that on their website.

I was kind leaning towards the TW pads due to more customization in thicknesses. The 4D is only one thickness and with these helmets i am thinking more ability for adjustment will be better.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 8:06:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Is the epic air the one that come with 2 different thickness comfort pads?  I was wondering if the cloud does too. I saw one review that said they do but no mention of that on their website.

I was kind leaning towards the TW pads due to more customization in thicknesses. The 4D is only one thickness and with these helmets i am thinking more ability for adjustment will be better.
View Quote

Correct, Epic Air has the 1/2" base pad/liner. Then has a 1/8" and 1/4" set of comfort pads. That's essentially what won me, as I have an oddly square skull near the back. So fine tuning everything sounded like the route to take.

Just hoping the 3/4" of pads is enough - dont know if TW has a seperate set of comfort pads at 1/2". We'll see.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 10:50:00 AM EDT
[#35]
I can tell you for a fact that a medium MICH helmet will fit different than a medium DH-132 with the same exact pads, the DH-132 will fit more like a large. I tried the Skydex 3/4" pads from my MICH in the DH-132 and it was loose. That is why I went with the 1" Skydex for my. DH-132. I will update everyone once the pads arrive and I get them installed.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 11:25:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I can tell you for a fact that a medium MICH helmet will fit different than a medium DH-132 with the same exact pads, the DH-132 will fit more like a large. I tried the Skydex 3/4" pads from my MICH in the DH-132 and it was loose. That is why I went with the 1" Skydex for my. DH-132. I will update everyone once the pads arrive and I get them installed.
View Quote

Yeah I've heard that. I rested my cvc on my head, and it seemed like it was smaller anticipated (in a good way) so we'll find out! Lol
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 9:38:48 PM EDT
[#37]
The sizing on the old helmet seems to be different than the more current issue ones we are getting.  In looking around the newer shells seem to be in two sizes.  S/M or L/XL.  The old ones ran S, M and L.  Not sure on an XL couldn't find any labeled like that.

Edit:  I went to gentex's website and pulled the data sheet for the current issue CVC and it only comes in M and L according to the sheet.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 9:46:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for making me spend money guys... But it seems like a fun project.

Are those Ops-Core side rails the real deal?  They look real from the paperwork beside them.  Just rather buy those than Chinese junk if possible.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 9:56:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Are those Ops-Core side rails the real deal?  They look real from the paperwork beside them.  Just rather buy those than Chinese junk if possible.
View Quote

They look to be, I'm no expert though :/

Personally gonna hold off on rails for now. I really have no need for them - ordered a surefire HL1-A that just clamps on, and I plan on running ear pro under the helmet.

Glad to spread the idea!!! Hopefully it may help people out who've wanted ballistic helmets since quarantine.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 10:13:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
I bought the same rails from eBay and they will arrive on Wednesday to Thursday. I'll decide then if I am going to put them on the CVC shell or my MICH. The pads and chin strap should arrive then too.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 10:59:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

They look to be, I'm no expert though :/

Personally gonna hold off on rails for now. I really have no need for them - ordered a surefire HL1-A that just clamps on, and I plan on running ear pro under the helmet.

Glad to spread the idea!!! Hopefully it may help people out who've wanted ballistic helmets since quarantine.
View Quote

I have an ACH, thought about modifying it but this seems like a better idea considering how much ACHs and MICHs have gone up in price.

Only big reason I want rails is for ear pro. My ACH just isn’t comfortable with muffs under it, usually wear a set of walkers in ear with it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 11:00:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I bought the same rails from eBay and they will arrive on Wednesday to Thursday. I'll decide then if I am going to put them on the CVC shell or my MICH. The pads and chin strap should arrive then too.
View Quote

If the pads are loose, look for a helmet “fit kit.”  They seem to be more for bicycle and bump helmets but they are thin pads and go between the thick pads and the helmet. As long as it’s just a little loose these will snug it up.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 11:45:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If the pads are loose, look for a helmet "fit kit."  They seem to be more for bicycle and bump helmets but they are thin pads and go between the thick pads and the helmet. As long as it's just a little loose these will snug it up.
View Quote
Thanks for the info. I think I will be all right with the 1" pads. The 3/4" weren't a bad fit, just a little looser in the DH-132 compared to the MICH.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 4:56:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

DO NOT buy those rails.  I got my set today and I am fairly certain they are not real ops core.  Not only that they are not the right geometry to work with these helmets.  I'll snap a picture later tonight but the rear leg of the rail doesn't have enough angle and altogether it is too short and won't reach to a rear bolt.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 8:51:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

DO NOT buy those rails.  I got my set today and I am fairly certain they are not real ops core.  Not only that they are not the right geometry to work with these helmets.  I'll snap a picture later tonight but the rear leg of the rail doesn't have enough angle and altogether it is too short and won't reach to a rear bolt.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27745/2020-08-17_17_21_47_jpg-1550734.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27745/2020-08-17_17_22_51_jpg-1550737.JPG
View Quote

Good to know. The rails in the vid joeviterbo shared seemed to fit well, wonder what the specifics are on those

Any plans on how to line up your rear bolts? Just line up your retention system then mark?
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 9:37:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Good to know. The rails in the vid joeviterbo shared seemed to fit well, wonder what the specifics are on those

Any plans on how to line up your rear bolts? Just line up your retention system then mark?
View Quote

I went back and looked at the video  and also the pictures of the ones being sold as complete on ebay and believe they are all using a 3M version ARC rail that is made for MICH helmets.

I looked around for them and can't seem to find them commercially except for ebay and not sure if they are the real deal or airsoft. I did find a reference to that rail as an actual OPS Core product that they licensed and designed for 3M so not sure why they are so hard to find.

Anyone know if OPS Core has their own rail for MICH helmets? If so what part number it might be?

I am holding of on doing any thing to make the reat holes since the rails seem to aid in that process.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 10:00:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I went back and looked at the video  and also the pictures of the ones being sold as complete on ebay and believe they are all using a 3M version ARC rail that is made for MICH helmets.

I looked around for them and can't seem to find them commercially except for ebay and not sure if they are the real deal or airsoft. I did find a reference to that rail as an actual OPS Core product that they licensed and designed for 3M so not sure why they are so hard to find.

Anyone know if OPS Core has their own rail for MICH helmets? If so what part number it might be?

I am holding of on doing any thing to make the reat holes since the rails seem to aid in that process.
View Quote

Sucks they don't work.  Makes me think the airsoft rails probably won't work either.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 9:24:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27745/2020-08-17_17_21_47_jpg-1550734.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27745/2020-08-17_17_22_51_jpg-1550737.JPG
View Quote

Okay guys, as a heads up for rails some people are using the Team Wendy Exfil 3.0s. I think they look clean, and are a little more unique. Only downside is they are about $50 in comparison to the 25 some were looking at.

Check out this Arfcom build: https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/DH-132B-Conversion/10-504505/

May just wait, and order these! Note: Unfortunately it seems these rails need entirely new holes drilled (on top of retention drilling).

***FOR THOSE LOOKING FOR A BASIC/RETRO NVG SETUP***
Check out this ebay listing (Norotos NVG Rhino mount) I just stumbled on:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174388167240
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 3:47:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Different helmets use different rails. The Opscore rails made for ACH/MICH helmets are called ACH rails. I think the ACH rails are made for medium helmets? Opscore also makes a 'Skeleton rail' that is for any size ACH. The ARC rails that fit fast helmets are smaller and more squared in shape than ACH rails. You can tell the difference between them easily by the number of little squares along the bottom edge of the rail that sits behind the ears. The fast rails have 4 little squares and the ACH rails have 5 little squares.

I've been using GunNook ACH rails, which I think are identical to Opscore ACH rails on my ACH helmets. They're around $40 vs. $100 for Opscore ACH rails.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 7:26:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Different helmets use different rails. The Opscore rails made for ACH/MICH helmets are called ACH rails. I think the ACH rails are made for medium helmets? Opscore also makes a 'Skeleton rail' that is for any size ACH. The ARC rails that fit fast helmets are smaller and more squared in shape than ACH rails. You can tell the difference between them easily by the number of little squares along the bottom edge of the rail that sits behind the ears. The fast rails have 4 little squares and the ACH rails have 5 little squares.

I've been using GunNook ACH rails, which I think are identical to Opscore ACH rails on my ACH helmets. They're around $40 vs. $100 for Opscore ACH rails.
View Quote

I have found rails that are similar to the Gunnook rails on ebay which themselves appear similar to the 3M rails.  How do the GN rails work with rail adapters?  Are they loose or tight.  Do you think they are China made?  I contacted a couple of sellers of those rails on ebay to see if they are real 3M rails or US made and they said they are made in China or unknown. I did not contact GN.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top