Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2018 7:50:04 PM EDT
I'm planning to buy a 50bmg the first part of 2019. Right now I am starting to do research and choose a gun. Obviously id love to buy a Barrett M107, but that's out of my realistic budget. ( however, if the book I'm writing makes me enough money, a pimped out M-107 with suppressor might be in the budget.) I could buy a M-92 semi for around $7500, but realistically that puts me at $9K with optic etc. Plus, isnt the M-99 / M-95 series more accurate? I was considering the M-95 over the M-92, as its lighter, shorter, cheaper, and IIRC more accurate. I am giving myself a budget of $7000.00 to buy a completely outfitted rifle. ( gun, hardcase, optic etc )  I saw a barrett new M-95 on gunbroker, with a leupold MK4, with the BORS ballictic computer, for around $7300.00.

I considered the M-99, but I would rather have a magazine, than single shot.  I have my own personal 200 yard range 4 miles from my house, and 20 miles away a buddy who is a rabid long range shooter, has a 1800yd range I can use pretty much anytime. I would also pick up a .50bmg press, and dies and reload for it.

If not the m-95, what 50 would you suggest ?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 9:13:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I loved building and shooting the M95 when I was there.
Palm the bolt handle when working the action. Makes working the bolt so much easier.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I want one so bad !  The waits gonna kill me.

Are they more accurate than the m-92 ?
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 11:25:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Every one that built up and shot was a sub MOA rifle. We fired them at 1000 and 1400 yds quite a bit. If you know what your doing with a .50, you can hit at those ranges pretty consistently.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 11:37:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Repeaters are not that important - with practice a single shot is just as fast if you factor in reloading your magazine repeatedly.

Don't be locked into the thought pattern of "BARRETT ONLY" - lots of other quality manufacturers out there with ArmaLite AR-50 near the top of list.

Think thru your complete intentions, accuracy or firepower, I vote accuracy with firepower.   I've shot many 4" and 6" 5-shot groups at 1000 yards with Match ammo, and some 30+" groups with surplus ammo, and 2X 72" groups with 5-shots on paper during a FCSA Match.   Match reloads will give you the best accuracy potential of your rifle.   Most of my groups at 1000 yards are between 5" and 12" with wind reading being the biggest obstacle for small groups.   The accessories you add to your rifle platform will determine where and how far you will be shooting.   Proper scope (NightForce or Leupold for starters) with proper STRONG scope mounts of height to fit your eye position needs.   (On the AR-50, I mill the cheek-piece & buttstock to obtain absolute lowest position that will clear the bolt and safety lever.)   Bipods MUST be strong to hold the weight and forces acting upon them during firing.   Monopods are a personal choice as many use a sandbag, I prefer the monopod to keep all required support attached to rifle, it too must be strong to survive the recoil action.

Main thing is DO YOUR RESEARCH before buying a high cost item = Buy once, Cry once, then have FUN while being SAFE.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:26:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ve had 2 Barrett model 95’s. I liked them, had 1st generation with a two digit serial number. the bolt would bind up if you cycled the bolt from farthest point. If i held  the bolt close to the action it was fine and wouldn’t bind up. The later models fixed that issue, also you could send in the old gun in and they would fix it.

My second Barrett model 95 I sent it off to Robar and had it Teflon coated. That gun sitting in the rain was neet to see water bead up on.

The guns where ok for accuracy not great. I wanted better gun  for 1000 yards. the guns where easy to shoot but still heavy to carry for hunting. The 5 round magazine is over rated. I never used the magazine i shot single shot.  At the time I felt the magazine was just a waste. I would just buy the Barrett 99 next time.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 9:08:55 AM EDT
[#6]
What 50 would be more accurate ?
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 2:32:52 PM EDT
[#7]
McMillan TAC-50 50 BMG tactical rifle. The 1000 yard shooting I did was with no match reloading, I just shot factory ammo. I might have not ever seen the potential of the 2 model 95’s I don’t know. But seen the Tac 50 do better and another friend that had custom build single shot that had better groups at 1000 with the same factory ammo.
Also at the time I never liked and was never comfortable shooting the bullpup rifle. If I bought another bullpup gun I might shoot it suppressed, something to make it more comfortable to shoot.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top