Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2022 1:32:08 AM EDT
So let me start off by saying a few years ago i had a CMP rack grade garand that I ended up selling. Decent rifle for the price.
Now I find myself looking for another. Now it appears the CMP ones have pretty much dried up. so Im wondering what my best course of action would be.
Gunbroker seems high for CMP garands, can anyone tell me if the orion 7 select grade rifles are worth the asking price? I am looking for a range/target gun
and the orion 7s are rebuilt with new Criterion Match barrels.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 1:52:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Your best bet is probably still going to be the CMP.  Although they have new barrels and new wood, they are still offering the expert grade in 30-06 for $1100.

Barring that, you might want to sign up at the CMP forum and keep an eye out for some of the ads.  But just be aware, most Garands are going for much more than they used to.

I would expect to pay in the neighborhood of $1200 to $1500 for just about any Garand these days.  And that is barring any perceived collectability factor the seller might want to charge a bit more for.  Granted the market might calm back down and the price might follow, but they are simply costing more than ever, no matter where you look.

If nothing else, get a couple of the expert grades and hang onto them, shooting one for fun.  Then look for what you really want.  Maybe use the Experts as leverage later on.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 2:18:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your best bet is probably still going to be the CMP.  Although they have new barrels and new wood, they are still offering the expert grade in 30-06 for $1100.

Barring that, you might want to sign up at the CMP forum and keep an eye out for some of the ads.  But just be aware, most Garands are going for much more than they used to.

I would expect to pay in the neighborhood of $1200 to $1500 for just about any Garand these days.  And that is barring any perceived collectability factor the seller might want to charge a bit more for.  Granted the market might calm back down and the price might follow, but they are simply costing more than ever, no matter where you look.

If nothing else, get a couple of the expert grades and hang onto them, shooting one for fun.  Then look for what you really want.  Maybe use the Experts as leverage later on.
View Quote

So I know the steps to order seem pretty straight forward.
Current or past military service.
Current or past law enforcement service.
CMP or NRA Classification card.
Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor). Visit http://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=match&task=search to find an upcoming CMP sanctioned clinic or match.
Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
Concealed Carry License.
But can I send a copy of my actual concealed carry card ??
Because I have no idea where my original certificate is from the class.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 3:58:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor). Visit http://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=match&task=search to find an upcoming CMP sanctioned clinic or match.
Concealed Carry License.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Concealed Carry License.

Yes.  It states concealed carry license.  Of course, you would send them a copy of it.  Not your original.  In NC, I had to include the original certificate of completion with my CHP package and it wasn't returned.  If your state is the same, that is why you can't find it.

I sent CMP a copy of my CHP when I initially submitted my application for purchase and it was accepted.

Also, if you purchased the rifle you mentioned from them before, you don't have to prove marksmanship again.  As a returning customer, you only have to get your forms notarized again, and show proof of current membership in a CMP affiliated club.  A lot of people use their GCA membership if they don't have an associated shooting venue available locally.

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 10:26:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Also if you want one bad enough then consider a trip to one of the stores.  They always have stock and sometimes have other rifles such as M1903s as well.

I've not been to the North store but I've been to the South store a lot as well as the Talladega store 30 mins away.  It's well worth the trip to be able to pick out your rifle.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 11:08:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Go with the CMP Expert for your 1st Garand. I did and I'm happy with mine, so much so as I type this I'm waiting for Fedex to deliver a 2nd one

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/New-Expert-30-06-Garand-in-the-House/6-533014/

Here's #2

https://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=296988
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 1:02:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Also if you want one bad enough then consider a trip to one of the stores.  They always have stock and sometimes have other rifles such as M1903s as well.

I've not been to the North store but I've been to the South store a lot as well as the Talladega store 30 mins away.  It's well worth the trip to be able to pick out your rifle.
View Quote

Not anymore. I think the South store is closed until further notice. Talladega has mostly a few rack grade specials and I don't think the North store has much of anything either.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 1:15:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Orion does good work. Tony was president of the Garand Collector’s Association and takes martial firearms pretty seriously.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 1:56:06 PM EDT
[#8]
One last question if I may.
So I’m filling out the paperwork. For the shipping info do I put the gun shop that I use or my home address, I live in Florida,
The reason I ask is because Iv read some people have had them shipped to there door although I’m not sure where they reside. I’m not sure I’d make the drive to talladega for a rack grade. And Orion is a little more then I’d like to spend.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 2:10:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So I’m filling out the paperwork. For the shipping info do I put the gun shop that I use or my home address, I live in Florida,
The reason I ask is because Iv read some people have had them shipped to there door although I’m not sure where they reside. I’m not sure I’d make the drive to talladega for a rack grade. And Orion is a little more then I’d like to spend.
View Quote

Home address for Florida and other free states.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 2:13:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Your address. The form says home address.

Florida looks to only have a restriction of 21 years old. I assume it ships direct.

I live in Oregon and the rifle has to go through an FFL. I still put my address there.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 2:52:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Home address in a state that allows it, CMP has that on their website.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 3:41:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys really appreciate it. I tried to get them on the phone all day but nobody picked up.
Orion 7 only had the match rifles for like $2500.
Worth it if your shooting competition. I just want a range gun
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks guys really appreciate it. I tried to get them on the phone all day but nobody picked up.
Orion 7 only had the match rifles for like $2500.
Worth it if your shooting competition. I just want a range gun
View Quote

You cant order garands from CMP over the phone. Must mail order. As already stated they will ship to your door depending what state you live in
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 5:22:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You cant order garands from CMP over the phone. Must mail order. As already stated they will ship to your door
View Quote

Yeah, I was calling to try to figure out if they needed FFL info.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 5:32:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Look halfway down the page,looks as though you will have to ship to your FFL
/https://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/eligibility-requirements/
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Look halfway down the page,looks as though you will have to ship to your FFL
/https://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/eligibility-requirements/
View Quote

While his avatar says NY he states he is in Florida. Direct to home address without ffl is good to go
OP- change your avatar to indicate you now live in a free state
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 9:22:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

While his avatar says NY he states he is in Florida. Direct to home address without ffl is good to go
OP- change your avatar to indicate you now live in a free state
View Quote

You have a keen eye for detail thank you I forgot about that.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 9:27:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Can the stock on the Experts be oiled or are they sealed?
I’d like to put some linseed oil on it
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Orion does good work. Tony was president of the Garand Collector’s Association and takes martial firearms pretty seriously.
View Quote

Yes, ans he's been around for a long time too.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 10:46:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Can the stock on the Experts be oiled or are they sealed?
I’d like to put some linseed oil on it
View Quote

They actually need a couple coats of linseed oil IMO. My 1st was dry as hell and so is the 2nd I got yesterday. I plan on doing that over the weekend
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 10:55:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 10:58:18 AM EDT
[#22]
CMP is still your best route - wait if you have to.  Or pay for the more premium CMP rifles there, as the expensive ones are going to be the better ones anyway.   Also, at the National Matches (late July) they always put some out at the CMP Store up at Camp Perry.  So heck, go shoot the Presidents 100 and some of the other rifle shoots, and go grab a Garand.

Link Posted: 4/21/2022 11:07:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Oil them when you get them.
View Quote

I used to always oil my rack grade with RLO.
It just makes them look better. I just wasn’t sure because I saw Some Expert ones on gunbroker that looked like they had a poly finish, and that’s not the look I’m going for
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 11:28:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It just makes them look better. I just wasn’t sure because I saw Some Expert ones on gunbroker that looked like they had a poly finish, and that’s not the look I’m going for
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oil them when you get them.

IMO what your seeing on GB are stocks that have been treated somehow. The 2 I've gotten were both dry. I plan on using BLO and giving the newest one 4-5 coats over the next few days. I'll use a green pad to take the shine off if needed.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 11:33:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Dunno if the CMP Advanced Maintenance Classes are still going, but that is a really good way to get a Garand that you built with your own hands. Yes, you will pay a couple thou, but you will also come away knowing everything about how the rifle works, and why it sometimes doesn't. The name "Advanced Maintenance" is somewhat misleading, because you're actually building a rifle from a bare receiver and a pile of parts that all have to be fitted.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 12:08:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 1:34:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'd love to go take one of those classes... Maybe someday
View Quote

I know a guy who took one he lives out in Long Island and he’s a master with fixing them now
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 9:38:36 AM EDT
[#28]
CMP just released rack grades, for the price, it’s worth a gamble, as you can always resell if the rifle isn’t for you.  That being said, it’s fun restoring them, even a rack grade should be on target….maybe not MOA, but it will print.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
CMP just released rack grades, for the price, it’s worth a gamble, as you can always resell if the rifle isn’t for you.  That being said, it’s fun restoring them, even a rack grade should be on target….maybe not MOA, but it will print.
View Quote

What is the best form of payment? Credit card or postal money order. Or do they take forever to ship eitherway
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:04:34 PM EDT
[#30]
If you pay using a CC, they don't charge it until it is ready to ship.  It makes no difference how you pay, it takes as long as it takes to get to you in the order your documents are received.  If you take them up on an upgrade and paid with check or whatever, you have to pay them the difference before they ship.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:14:20 PM EDT
[#31]
I prefer credit card, that way you have a idea when its coming when you see the charge on your account
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top