Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/12/2022 1:04:39 PM EDT
My son and I were talking about this before. He picked up a Winkler Crusher Belt Knife for his field blade (Infantry 2LT), which is a pretty decent choice. However, we need to go back and define "combat" as it's changed several times over the past 80+years.

Growing up, I pretty much envisioned a nice dagger, like my Randall #2, a massive folder like the Al Mar SERE Attack, and a good 1911.

Or maybe my mercenary occupational day dreaming with influences of jungle fighting, which was more like this:

Reality for most of my career was just a solid belt knife, like my Mad Dog Pygmy ATAK that I wore for over a decade of my career, a solid folder (I preferred Emerson and Spyderco folders, but switched out for a variety of others at times), and a good multitool.

Post military career, working as an advisor for a couple years, I liked a smaller fixed blade and folder as well. The TOPS CUT really seemed optimum for my occupation in a combat zone:

"Combat" is less of my occupational hazard these days, but that doesn't mean it couldn't find me. My knives are more utilitarian or smaller. Whereas most see their handgun as their primary defensive tool, or a means to fight to your rifle, a modern "combat" knife for me is a means to cut, slash, or stab to create enough distance to access my handgun if necessary.

The evolution of my "combat" musings, both the day dreaming of a young youth and the reality of modern-day combat to the more benign civilian life...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#1]
The military knife is a tool far beyond any other use.  Were I in the field again I would carry the Cold Steel SRK.

My son was 0311 and always had a knife in the field and was also surprised at how few other Marines did.  He finally carried two, a good one not seen and another, the 'loaner'.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 2:10:24 PM EDT
[#2]
ROCK, I like your musings.
I will add a few of my own later
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 2:17:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The military knife is a tool far beyond any other use.  Were I in the field again I would carry the Cold Steel SRK.

My son was 0311 and always had a knife in the field and was also surprised at how few other Marines did.  He finally carried two, a good one not seen and another, the 'loaner'.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, modern "Infantry" don't drink coffee, don't carry a knife, and lost many of the basic fieldcraft skills

Hey, I left out my old SRK! I picked it up in the mid-90's and used at times when I was at Fort Bragg. A little big for belt carry, but it's a solid field knife.

Quoted:

Looking forward to your thoughts as well!

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 4:14:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm gonna start from the present, and go backwards....
This is the knife I designed and make to serve as a competent combat/utility knife:
" />
" />
5/32" thick 80CRV2 or CPM154, 4.5" blade saber grind with sharpened clip.
pinned and soldered brass guard, full tang with micarta handles and a lanyard tube.
leather sheath of kydex on request.

utility sized blade, pointy enough to make a hole if necessary, field sharpenable ( often overlooked with modern "super steels")

Link Posted: 11/12/2022 4:21:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Our Granddaddy's idea of a Combat knife looked like this:
" />
My Randall Model 2 8"
The enemy still carried fuckin SWORDS! (Japanese) and knew how to use em!

I like the Confederate "Bowies" that were in reality short swords, blacksmith made.
If I was carrying a single shot rifle, you bet your sweet ass I would have a sword secondary!

A pair of my Vietnam era Randall model 1's a 7" and a 6"

" />

Made for knife fighting, and knife fighting was still taught to some degree to combat soldiers.

with the idea of sappers in the wire, close combat etc I kinda want something like this too
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 4:26:48 PM EDT
[#6]
In Vietnam the Gerber fighting knife was born, lots of SF guys, MACV-SOG guys and everybody else that wanted to be cool had one:
" />
One of my early mk2 Gerbers. harkens back to the Fairbairn-Sykes commando daggers of WW2

This is the one I make that was inspired by these knives:
" />
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 4:29:58 PM EDT
[#7]
This is my SOG S1:
" />

It would take volumes to talk about these knives.
suffice to say that this was state of the art combat knife circa 1970
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 4:35:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Fast forward a bit, this is my Bob Horrigan fighter.
suffice to say that this is like owning a Katana designed by a great Samurai of his time.

" />

This knife was designed by an elite warrior to get the job done.
Msg Robert Horrigan RIP
" />
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 4:40:31 PM EDT
[#9]
This is the knife that I carried the most, a few times to band camp:
" />" />

This and a Leatherman Wave.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 5:49:26 PM EDT
[#10]
When I was getting a haircut at Ranger Joe’s for Airborne graduation, I saw this knife on the counter. I thought at the time an Infantryman needed a good knife and good boots. On cargo chute recovery detail they made us ground our LBE’s, when I got back my knife and strobe were gone off my gear. Doom on you you thief.

My squad leader carried a cold steel knife at the time and told me I just had a glorified bayonet.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Have been looking at Wrinker operator or an ESEE 5.  Are the Wrinkles the new Randell knife?
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 7:22:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Given how overloaded the current soldier is, I think a design priority for a modern combat knife should be reduced weight while still being 'effective.'

Spyderco Street Bowie would be attractive due to the lightweight - 3.8oz - while still having a 5" blade. A Kabar is 11.2oz, Cold Steel SRK 8.2oz, Glock knife 7.3oz...

Link Posted: 11/12/2022 7:23:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Two requirements for a combat knife.  Pointy and sharp.  This probably cost Uncle Sam only a couple of bucks and worked just fine.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 7:46:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Fast forward a bit, this is my Bob Horrigan fighter.
suffice to say that this is like owning a Katana designed by a great Samurai of his time.

https://i.imgur.com/5Zo4g0Q.jpg?1" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/5Zo4g0Q.jpg?1

This knife was designed by an elite warrior to get the job done.
Msg Robert Horrigan RIP
https://i.imgur.com/RKeutH4.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/RKeutH4.jpg
View Quote

This knife kicks ass.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 8:47:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm gonna start from the present, and go backwards....
This is the knife I designed and make to serve as a competent combat/utility knife:
https://i.imgur.com/O13DXk6.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/O13DXk6.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/VGQciCq.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/VGQciCq.jpg
5/32" thick 80CRV2 or CPM154, 4.5" blade saber grind with sharpened clip.
pinned and soldered brass guard, full tang with micarta handles and a lanyard tube.
leather sheath of kydex on request.

utility sized blade, pointy enough to make a hole if necessary, field sharpenable ( often overlooked with modern "super steels")

View Quote

That is such a simple but remarkable design. I love the micarta wrap around the tang, I assume that really helps balance it out...nearing perfection!

Man, I forgot more than I recalled! I purchased the Gerber Mark II at the Fort Lewis PX in the early 90's or so. My good friend flew back to swear me in when I commissioned and I gifted it to him. I ran into my Hawaiian buddy in Afghanistan in 2018; we were both retired and doing contractor gigs. His oldest boy was enlisting and he still had that Gerber and planned to gift it to him.

Knives (like @doubleplusgood's well used Emerson Commander) are meant to be used and earn a story for handing down to the next generation...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 9:49:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 10:09:42 AM EDT
[#16]
The Bob Horrigan fighter is a good looking knife.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 10:32:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Hoffner Hand Spear

Link Posted: 11/13/2022 2:56:29 PM EDT
[#18]
OP Wilson Combat grip modules for P365 and P320. Takes second tier ergos to outstanding.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 3:00:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Don’t be the Lt with the crew served knife.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Oh and possibly the most important thing, ya gotta look cool...
" />

a big ol Randall knife is just coooooolll
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 9:53:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Two requirements for a combat knife.  Pointy and sharp.  This probably cost Uncle Sam only a couple of bucks and worked just fine.
https://i.imgur.com/SKpmagz.jpg
View Quote

HAd one of those too

most common EDC for me was this  civilian Explorer survival knife that was gifted to me by my dad for my 14th birthday in 1985 though,  -- the issue survival knife stayed under my bunk in camp with the rest of the gear i didnt take out , --- however, my requirements were pretty basic too.   Pointy and sharp

The little stainless steel folder with the can opener, bottle opener and screwdriver got used more than the fixed blades did though and by a large margin

Link Posted: 11/15/2022 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Model 1

Pat Crawford titanium combat folder.

Never really used them to kill sentries.

Chris

Link Posted: 11/15/2022 4:27:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Get a Kbar and be done with it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#24]

LOL,  mine also never killed a sentry, !  (or anything else )

Link Posted: 11/15/2022 6:40:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Let's go way back in time.

http://ekknives.com/phone/the-history.html

Link Posted: 11/15/2022 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 7:42:02 PM EDT
[#27]
A Gerber worked fine for me.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 9:49:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

HAd one of those too

most common EDC for me was this  civilian Explorer survival knife that was gifted to me by my dad for my 14th birthday in 1985 though,  -- the issue survival knife stayed under my bunk in camp with the rest of the gear i didnt take out , --- however, my requirements were pretty basic too.   Pointy and sharp

The little stainless steel folder with the can opener, bottle opener and screwdriver got used more than the fixed blades did though and by a large margin

https://i.imgur.com/SjVz2Pw.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bZZmrcOh.jpg

View Quote

I had that same Explorer knife, I got for $14 at a surplus store.  It was actually a really good knife.  Got swiped inside my backpack from a vehicle breakin in Baltimore in the late eighties. I wish I still had it.  If zi remember correctly it was Taiwanese made 440C steel.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 11:17:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Sergeant Stan W Scott, No. 3 Army Commando of WW2, demonstrates the use of the Fairbairn-Sykes fighting knife.

Wonderful video from a guy whose actually killed sentries with his combat knife

Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knife

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I had that same Explorer knife, I got for $14 at a surplus store.  It was actually a really good knife.  Got swiped inside my backpack from a vehicle breakin in Baltimore in the late eighties. I wish I still had it.  If zi remember correctly it was Taiwanese made 440C steel.
View Quote

even better -- Japan --  quite possibly from the same factory where they made Samurai swords and Neenja stars !

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Get a Kbar and be done with it.
View Quote

50% off today and tomorrow direct from Ka-bar.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 12:17:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Geez - times have changed

even at 50% off , those are still not at the  "I'll just pick up a couple of these for the truck and the boathouse " type of expenditures ---  Great sale though and maybe im just an old timer shaking his fist at clouds, --
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 6:44:14 PM EDT
[#33]

This is actually a pretty interesting design and style. I almost lost carrying mine on my plate carrier in Afghanistan and ended up added larger post and shock cord:

Extrema Ratio is a little radical, but their smaller Shrapnel is a decent design:

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 9:26:01 PM EDT
[#34]
I used a Mk 2 in the 80’s
Didn’t have serrations
Great knife
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 7:17:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Sergeant Stan W Scott, No. 3 Army Commando of WW2, demonstrates the use of the Fairbairn-Sykes fighting knife.

Wonderful video from a guy whose actually killed sentries with his combat knife

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDGHKyB3T_U

https://i.ibb.co/nQJQLJW/Screen-Shot-2022-11-15-at-10-22-57-PM.png
View Quote

Completely unrelated to the thread, but one of the linked videos at the end of that one was a good quick watch, as well.

The Old and the Bold: Spotting a Sniper

"Bloody nuisance" made me chuckle.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 8:38:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

That was good timing. Wanted a smaller fixed blade, and ordered one of the black BK18 Harpoons as a smaller cousin to the BK7 I have
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 9:27:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/SKpmagz.jpg
View Quote

My dad always told me to stay away from traditional Mil sheath knives and the older bayonets mostly because of his experiences with this…

https://youtube.com/shorts/7g6xD2uauII?feature=share

I still bought an issue Camillus USMC fighting knife for $17 once and yes, it’s weak as shit where the tang narrows to pass through the guard.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 2:09:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

My dad always told me to stay away from traditional Mil sheath knives and the older bayonets mostly because of his experiences with this…

https://youtube.com/shorts/7g6xD2uauII?feature=share

I still bought an issue Camillus USMC fighting knife for $17 once and yes, it’s weak as shit where the tang narrows to pass through the guard.
View Quote

Well, I'd guess that is a knockoff.  Mine is over 50 years old and still works just fine.  It does have a reshaped tip, but that's not uncommon on ones that are rode hard and put away wet instead of sitting in a climate controlled safe. Like many of the knives in this thread.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 8:54:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Well, I'd guess that is a knockoff.  Mine is over 50 years old and still works just fine.  It does have a reshaped tip, but that's not uncommon on ones that are rode hard and put away wet instead of sitting in a climate controlled safe. Like many of the knives in this thread.
View Quote

Not a knockoff. Known weakness in the construction, my Dad was a Korean War vet. He showed me that when I wanted one as a kid.  The fact they’re made from 1095 and are only moderately tempered just exacerbates the problem.  Narrow tang and squared shoulders at the transition invites stress cracking.  Bending also work hardens the steel at the stress point. They work okay as a knife but I wouldn’t call them a “survival knife” or a combat knife. My Camillus is an issue knife, came in the factory cardboard box with all the correct US stock info and “mildew resistant” sheath.  It works okay for slicing stuff but bends too easy at the guard for any serious use.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 10:11:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Knives that my father carried.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 3:47:05 AM EDT
[#41]
There's a lot of classic designs and some newfangled stuff here.

I always found that the key to a field/combat knife was that the owner knew something about knives. I recall guys carrying knives and never used them because they simply had not been around knives long enough to use them as a life hack. I've watched guys with brand new leatherman or gerber multitools on their belt spend an inordinate amount of time trying to untie paracord or rip open an MRE. Their knife was a decoration.

I'll always be, aesthetically, a fan of classic American combat knives. As always, it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 1:12:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Given how overloaded the current soldier is, I think a design priority for a modern combat knife should be reduced weight while still being 'effective.'

Spyderco Street Bowie would be attractive due to the lightweight - 3.8oz - while still having a 5" blade. A Kabar is 11.2oz, Cold Steel SRK 8.2oz, Glock knife 7.3oz...

https://sadefensejournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/spyderco_feature2-630x320.jpg
View Quote

My Air Force kiddo sent me one of those for Christmas while I was in Afghanistan in 2020, and it’s the knife I wear every single day. I’m wearing it right now, in fact.
It’s an amazing blade in every way, and it’s special to me because it was a gift from my boy.

You can just see it inside my waistband behind my handgun. It is a surprisingly comfortable blade to wear IWB as a hedge against a handgun take-away.

Link Posted: 12/11/2022 9:40:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Don’t be the Lt with the crew served knife.
View Quote

My son is currently down at Benning for his Infantry BOLC, he chose pretty wisely:

I would like to get him a better field sheath, one that a typical Infantry grunt would find hard to lose their knife out of...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 4:59:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 4:52:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I love Winklers but hate those sheaths.
View Quote

Same...

I'm sure they nay be okay for civilian EDC, but that's not a good field sheath design at all.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 6:01:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
I carried a cold steel SRK in Iraq, I cant find the sheath though.

My first paycheck on active duty, 1992- E1 private in Germany. I bought the Gerber BMF, the one that was on the cover of the US Cav catalog. Spent an hour getting it just right on my LBE, retied all the gear on my pistol belt so everthing was perfect. When I showed up to formation with it, my squad leaders head just about popped off his shoulders. Lesson learned. Still have that too. The knife, not SSG Sipling's head.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 3:09:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I carried a cold steel SRK in Iraq, I cant find the sheath though.

My first paycheck on active duty, 1992- E1 private in Germany. I bought the Gerber BMF, the one that was on the cover of the US Cav catalog. Spent an hour getting it just right on my LBE, retied all the gear on my pistol belt so everthing was perfect. When I showed up to formation with it, my squad leaders head just about popped off his shoulders. Lesson learned. Still have that too. The knife, not SSG Sipling's head.
View Quote

The Gerber, Big Mother Fucker (BMF), that was a great knife, but yeah, I could see anybody in leadership referring you to mental hygiene and gender transition showing up with that these days

I got my ass chewed as as young company commander because our fucking corporate Battalion Commander shit his pants when I had some Soldiers ask if they could get issued bayonets for the field. The were "sealed" (with a fucking real seal) in a large foot locker in my arms room (over 150 M9 bayonets).  I was a knife guy, my Soldiers were fucking Solders, a quick, mandatory safety brief of "don't cut your dick off or stab your buddy in the ass"...and a dozen or so young troopers went to the field with a bayonet. No big deal...

BC shows up to one of my sites, and flips his shit seeing that "weapon" strapped a Soldier's LBE. I thought he was kidding and joked that I could fuck him up with an empty M4 more than a bayonet...the humor was lost on him. Thank God that was right at the beginning of 9/11 and the subsequent 20 year-war and he retired after sucking some Pentagon dick to make O6, and fortunately he never commanded a brigade.

I did get the last laugh. We had the Bright Star exercise in Egypt right after 9/11. This guy thought he was guaranteed a combat patch, so he shipped his HQ6 HMMWV over with my little company command Task Force (three platoons and some HQ's support) and forward S3 element to Egypt. I emailed him a picture of some derelict, disrespectful, unprofessional asshole who had the fucking gall to stand on the top of the Battalion Commander's, HQ6 hummer, bend over with full display of ass (good looking as BTW...IMHO) and his bumper number in the frame of a rather good photographic shot. I never did catch that culprit...but boy was the BC really fucking pissed back home

ROCK6

Link Posted: 12/12/2022 3:21:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

same here
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 3:27:37 PM EDT
[#49]
From what I've read, it wasn't unusual for troops in Vietnam to clear an entire hilltop for a new base with nothing but their knives.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 9:03:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
From what I've read, it wasn't unusual for troops in Vietnam to clear an entire hilltop for a new base with nothing but their knives.
View Quote

Or just dropped a Daisy Cutter to save a lot of time .
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top