Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2018 3:27:09 PM EDT
I think I have found my place in the world of firearm collecting. I thought I wanted a collection of various rifles and handguns from WWI and WWII. I still do want a few rifles and I would like to be able to get a WWI and WWII 1911. I would also like a Lugar and a few other Nazi handguns of WWII. Maybe a Nambu pistol (still a lot to learn about these Japanese handguns and all of the war time handguns in general). My next spending spree will be on a Japanese Arisaka Type 38 and Type 99 and then a German Mauser K98. With all the being said that brings to me what I found that fascinates me the most. The M1 Carbine. I think it is the one rifle that I have searched the hardest for and maybe read and asked the most questions about. I have now found one. It is a Saginaw "SG" made in 1943. I believe it is May of 1943. I won't have it in hand until after Christmas.

The M1 Carbine intrigues me the most. So many different things to learn about them just as with all of these rifles. Its interesting in just how short of a time the rifle changed. Better sights. Bayonet lug. Different stocks. Different bolt. It is also interesting how long of a career the rifle has had just as so many of these other rifles. I think my first book buy will be War Baby. I am told that it is the definitive word when it comes to the M1 Carbines.

What I have bought so far -

M1 Garand 1943

M1 Carbine 1943

SMLE Lee Enfield 1918

No.4 Lee Enfield 1942

Mosin Nagant 1943

I think the second rifle that interest me the most is the Lee Enfield rifles. I think that is another area I want to learn more about an add a few other variants to my collection.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 3:41:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to collect whistles and kept collecting them until we moved.  Since then, they have all just sat in a box along with their lanyards.

It is odd how we go through collecting different things.  Before Whistles, I was collecting khukuris..I guess I eventually get bored with them.

Gun collecting and shooting them lasted the longest for me.  There is so much to learn with collecting, then even more with shooting, and reloading.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 7:32:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to collect and restore cars with my dad. It wasn't until I had a stroke that that came to an end. My dad had his own shop and was an artist when it came to bodywork and painting. He is now legally blind and has early stages of dementia. The last car the two of us restored together was a 1970 Torino Cobra 429 Super Cobra Jet Drag Pack car. The paint on it was so nice and deep that it looked wet when it was dry. I took it to a car show and everyone asked if it was still wet from a fresh paint job.

I am a history buff. I used to be more so when I was younger. I am relearning a lot about history and these rifles have sparked that interest in me again. I thought the M1 Garand was going to be my main focus but for some reason it isn't. Maybe I will change my mind a bit as I go along. I really love each design and characteristics of each rifle.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 6:17:48 PM EDT
[#4]
If you try, you can tell the history of America for 75 years by discussing the development and use of the M1.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 7:37:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you try, you can tell the history of America for 75 years by discussing the development and use of the M1.
View Quote
I would really like to know the history of the M1. I remember watching a movie back in the about a guy in prison who helped with the design. I was a kid when I watched that movie. I need to find it.

What are some good books on this beside War Baby?

I have a book on the 1911. Its called - 1911 The First 100 Years by Patrick Sweeney. I haven't read it yet but its the kind of book I would like to read and on the M1 Carbine and Garand if there is such a book like it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 12:48:08 AM EDT
[#6]
My goal is to have one of everything that was issued by a .gov since centerfire was adopted.

That is my collecting interest.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:26:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Carbine Williams with Jimmy Stewart is the movie I believe you were thinking of.
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 4:36:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My goal is to have one of everything that was issued by a .gov since centerfire was adopted.

View Quote
I'm glad I am not the only one.
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Enfields are a deep, deep rabbit hole.  The category of "Lee-Enfield" includes probably 50 different sub-categories, each being large enough to constitute a legitimate collection of its own.
View Quote
very true statement
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 4:49:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/4/2019 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#12]
O, you’re on a dangerous path with such a broad range. You’ll eventually want several variances of each.  Im a lost cause, but if I could start over, id focus on one type, then get the variations, like garands , or 1911s
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Enfields are a deep, deep rabbit hole.  The category of "Lee-Enfield" includes probably 50 different sub-categories, each being large enough to constitute a legitimate collection of its own.

I started with the general idea of collecting Lee-Enfields, then trimmed it down to No. 1s, then trimmed it down to interwar No. 1s, then trimmed it down to commercial rifles.  It's finally a manageable collection
View Quote
Indeed. One could build a significant collection just on .22LR Enfield trainers. Or No. 4s. Or BSA contract rifles (Siam, Iraq, etc).

OP, if you find Enfields interesting, buy Ian Skennerton's book. Well worth every dollar.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 10:18:46 PM EDT
[#14]
My collection focus is a bit wide, I collect any bolt action military rifles. I used to do semi-auto rifles and pistols/revolvers but that got to be a bit much and I sold all of those. Bolt guns also tend to be a bit cheaper and I don't have to worry as much about shooting them due to semi-autos breaking parts or not having correct ammunition to run them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top