Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2021 1:34:52 PM EDT
Came across this marvelously shady ad from 80's Cobray:

Closer view:

Now to my eye, it looks like they're using a Soda 'PreForm' tube as the suppressor body, which is frankly pretty ingenious. The tubes are the ~size of a .22lr suppressor, and very durable. Tubes are ~5"x1," and use the thread pattern of a soda bottle.

https://www.homesciencetools.com/product/giant-test-tubes-60-pack/

The baffles on the Cobray look to be some mix of rubber washers and foam?

Does anyone have any more info on this bit of 80's nostalgia?
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 2:04:42 PM EDT
[#2]
The "baffles" in the old SWD HE .22 cans, and the disposable unit pictured, consisted of rubber wipes placed between  short "tubes" made of compressed bronze wool
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 2:09:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 2:50:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The "baffles" in the old SWD HE .22 cans, and the disposable unit pictured, consisted of rubber wipes placed between  short "tubes" made of compressed bronze wool
View Quote

Excellent, thank you.

80's really were a marvelous time it seems
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Awesome. Gonna cobble some together when the parts arrive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome. Gonna cobble some together when the parts arrive.

Nice, please let us know how it turned out.

It would be funny if these QT's made a comeback.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 3:04:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Excellent, thank you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent, thank you.

Posts like these just remind me of how I had my head up my ass in the 80s expending time on fruitless, hedonistic activities. 20/20 hindsight. On the other hand, suppressors pretty much sucked then, and now is a golden age for both hosts and cans.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 5:28:00 PM EDT
[#7]
For a modern version of the Quiet Throwaway, would the use of bronze wool 'tubes' between rubber wipes still be the go to?

Or is there a better, modern but still cheap and off the shelf option?
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
For a modern version of the Quiet Throwaway, would the use of bronze wool 'tubes' between rubber wipes still be the go to?

View Quote

One of the reasons the old HE rimfire cans got loud quickly was that the inside of the compressed bronze wool tubes leaded up quickly ...... and there was really no way to remove it.

Wasn't a problem when you could just order another dozen or so from SWD .......

I'd think the easiest way to rehash this concept would be a registered mono core....threaded to fit your bbl, and also to accept your "throwaway" tube......

Even then, like with a registered oil filter adaptor, you'd have to send it to an SOT to have the disposable "tube" replaced legally

Link Posted: 8/22/2021 8:15:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I have one of the #10 barrels for a Ruger Mk that I bought back in the early 90’s but never installed. It’s still in the package with instructions and some sort of clip.It has a very course thread pitch which I have no idea the pitch.  Business used to sell some sketchy stuff back then.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 10:38:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have one of the #10 barrels for a River Mk that I bought back in the early 90’s but never installed. It’s still in the package with instructions and some sort of clip.It has a very course thread pitch which I have no idea the pitch.  Business used to sell some sketchy stuff back then.
View Quote

Thread pitch on them is 7/16 x 14tpi
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 9:06:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok, that’s pretty nifty.  Not practical at all in our NFA/tax stamp world, but cool.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks so much for posting this.  This is the kind of thing I send to a photo lab for printing and framing in my office.  Super neat.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 12:06:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn, some good memories there!
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 12:19:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ok, that’s pretty nifty.  Not practical at all in our NFA/tax stamp world, but cool.
View Quote

if us normies (non-SOT guys) could build and test shit without a stamp and a wait we would have an explosion in can tech.

My buddy may have done a liter bottle on a 22. First round was loud because it was going through the plastic, but a few more and you had a good hole. Had it been packed with anything it would have been damn near silent, and all of free to build.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 3:15:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

One of the reasons the old HE rimfire cans got loud quickly was that the inside of the compressed bronze wool tubes leaded up quickly ...... and there was really no way to remove it.

I'd think the easiest way to rehash this concept would be a registered mono core....threaded to fit your bbl, and also to accept your "throwaway" tube......

Even then, like with a registered oil filter adaptor, you'd have to send it to an SOT to have the disposable "tube" replaced legally

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A monocore would no doubt be the 'best' option, but would also defeat the charmingly shady 'throwaway' requirement. Note the not so subtle mention of how the QT can be disposed of in a fire in the Ad Copy...

As a thought experiment, I was thinking of what could be the cheapest, most off the shelf, and disposable materials.

I'm curious how a mix of rubber wipes and corrugated cardboard baffles would work?

These would be essentially free, made from amazon or other carboard boxes using a 25mm Arch Punch (or whatever exact ID is of a soda pre form). Same punch that would form the rubber wipes.

Using a 6mm punch, holes could be made in the center of each disc:

Since each 'baffle' has a lot of internal surface area due to being corrugated, it may offer pretty decent gas trapping ability.

The little discs could be made hard and flame resistant by dipping them in a solution of Sodium Silicate 'waterglass' which is used to fireproof rocket tubes and nozzles in pyrotechnics. Although I'm not even sure if that would be necessary for a disposable .22 if it only has to work well for 1x magazine.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 9:36:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Some sort of cheap, pressed cup might work. Caps from twist off aluminum beer bottles come to mind. Aluminum doesn’t “cone” well, but ductile steel or copper does. There might even be brass grommets close enough. Keep thinking long enough and a K-something might pop into our heads.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 8:44:22 AM EDT
[#18]
I would try a baffle free design made of just screen mesh from the hardware store. They sell huge rolls of it pretty cheap to re screen doors.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 9:34:23 AM EDT
[#19]
The cool kids use shoe eyelets.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 10:23:33 AM EDT
[#20]
A designer once built a .22 can using corrugated cardboard and PVC pipe. He ran it on a Browning .22 rifle and reported it worked very well.

There's a pic of it sectioned on page 91 of Dave Truby's Silencers in the 1980's.

SilentMike
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 2:12:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
A designer once built a .22 can using corrugated cardboard and PVC pipe. He ran it on a Browning .22 rifle and reported it worked very well.

There's a pic of it sectioned on page 91 of Dave Truby's Silencers in the 1980's.

SilentMike
View Quote

Great tip, I found the book on PDF:

https://www.pdfdrive.com/modern-firearm-silencers-j-david-truby-e83706393.html

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Bingo!

I was fortunate enough to find a brand new copy of that book a few years back to replace my original (from the 80's) that was well loved and falling apart. That book, Silencers, Snipers and Assassins, and both of Truby's Quiet Killers have a lot of interesting info from the 80's on back.

SilentMike
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Bingo!

I was fortunate enough to find a brand new copy of that book a few years back to replace my original (from the 80's) that was well loved and falling apart. That book, Silencers, Snipers and Assassins, and both of Truby's Quiet Killers have a lot of interesting info from the 80's on back.

SilentMike
View Quote

Ah, the 80's - when there was no pretense of "hearing protection" in the marketing

Check out PDF drive, they have a ton of the Paladin and similar works on there, all for free. Plus countless novels and other more mainstream books.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#24]
I would think the best way to make QT suppressors today would be to 3D print them.  You can experiment with any kind of geometry/baffles, print them off and tap the threads.  It doesn’t get much simpler than that if you have the know how and printer.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 2:21:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Ah, the 80's - when there was no pretense of "hearing protection" in the marketing

Check out PDF drive, they have a ton of the Paladin and similar works on there, all for free. Plus countless novels and other more mainstream books.
View Quote

there are some great PDF's on there
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 8:46:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you see some cool ones on there, let us know which ones to download.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 1:13:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

look under Munitions

also conversion
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Throwaway?

Oil-Can Suppressor.

The Adapter is Registered as THE Suppressor.
The Oil Can itself is thrown away after you're down with it.

Can't get much cheaper than that.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2021 12:33:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Throwaway?

Oil-Can Suppressor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EExnpnXW7Wc
View Quote

Yup, my thoughts exactly. Might see if I can find a place to machine either aluminum or steel cap that matches a 2 liter cap. Obviously the top would have to be thicker to thread for the barrel. Then just engrave and serialize it, and form 1 it. Boom, then can try out stuffing all sorts of stuff into one of those tubes. Anyone with the available equipment wanna do a run of caps???
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 1:09:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 2:27:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yup, my thoughts exactly. Might see if I can find a place to machine either aluminum or steel cap that matches a 2 liter cap. Obviously the top would have to be thicker to thread for the barrel. Then just engrave and serialize it, and form 1 it. Boom, then can try out stuffing all sorts of stuff into one of those tubes. Anyone with the available equipment wanna do a run of caps???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Throwaway?

Oil-Can Suppressor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EExnpnXW7Wc

Ya'll two might want to check out how ATF defines "silencer" and how you go about replacing that oil can.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 4:37:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Throwaway?

Oil-Can Suppressor.

View Quote

The oil filter is absolutely a classic.

However, what I think is so cool about the Cobray QT is that its a throwaway / super easy DIY suppressor, but actually is the correct size and form factor of a proper .22 suppressor (~1"x5"). It could be used with sights / a RDS, and would only weigh 3-8oz.

Whereas the oil filters are ridiculously oversized:

Link Posted: 8/31/2021 4:41:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Thanks  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks  

Happy to share. PDF Drive is one of the greatest places on the internet if you love to read.

There's really an Amazon level selection of books on there - from Paladin Press to Pulitzer Prize. Novels, cook books, books on science and engineering, psychology, biographies, history, out of print stuff, its tremendous.

Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sooo, anyone here able to make the cap (I’ll pay of course)? If not, gonna have to find a local machinist. Any recommendations for someone good to do it, before I try and find someone local?
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Sooo, anyone here able to make the cap (I’ll pay of course)? If not, gonna have to find a local machinist. Any recommendations for someone good to do it, before I try and find someone local?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The soda bottle adapter seems to already exist:

https://www.infiniteproductsolutions.com/adapters/1-2-28-rh-to-bottle-thread-adapter-with-grip-knurled/

I think its just a matter of getting the tax stamp (or SOT exemption) and then combining it with the soda preform tubes to recreate the 80's Cobray QT.

Googling / Ebaying etc "Soda bottle thread adapter" turns up a number of results.

Link Posted: 9/1/2021 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thread specs should be available here:

https://www.isbt.com/threadspecs-downloads.asp
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top