Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2020 11:02:06 PM EDT
I have a current business that is not firearm related.  A couple employees.  I'm looking to get an 07 FFL, not for a storefront, but for transfers and such.  Also suppressor/sbr manufacturing.  

Can I colocate the FFL at the same address? If the employees are there, do they need to be listed as responsible parties, even though they work for a different entity?

Just trying to dot my Ts.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:08:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:11:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a current business that is not firearm related.  A couple employees.  I'm looking to get an 07 FFL, not for a storefront, but for transfers and such.  Also suppressor/sbr manufacturing.  Can I colocate the FFL at the same address?
View Quote

As long as you can operate a business under state/city/county laws, including zoning restrictions and your lease contract....you can.

If the employees are there, do they need to be listed as responsible parties, even though they work for a different entity?
View Quote

Responsible Person - In addition to a Sole Proprietor, a Responsible Person is, in the case of a Corporation, Partnership, or Association, any
individual possessing, directly or indirectly, the power to direct or cause the direction of the management, policies, and practices of the Corporation,
Partnership, or Association, insofar as they pertain to firearms.

The manager and clerks in the sporting goods department at WalMart aren't RP's.....so you likely don't need to make your employees RP's.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:28:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
07 ffls don't manufacture sbrs.
View Quote

Oh really? I assumed you'd have to an 07 to make anything NFA.

Edit: I guess I see what you're saying.  An 07 can, but so can others if you pay the SOT
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:29:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

As long as you can operate a business under state/city/county laws, including zoning restrictions and your lease contract....you can.

Responsible Person - In addition to a Sole Proprietor, a Responsible Person is, in the case of a Corporation, Partnership, or Association, any
individual possessing, directly or indirectly, the power to direct or cause the direction of the management, policies, and practices of the Corporation,
Partnership, or Association, insofar as they pertain to firearms.

The manager and clerks in the sporting goods department at WalMart aren't RP's.....so you likely don't need to make your employees RP's.
View Quote

That makes sense, thanks!
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:47:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I actually just got my 07 earlier this year with the business co-located. Couple of points to consider.

- We built a secure room with 1” thick plywood wall sheathing, commercial grade locks, cameras, and motion sensors for the records and gun storage (safes in our case)
- We put the 07 in its own area Of the building and monitor all access points with cameras between the businesses.

I’m not saying that’s all required by the ATF, in fact I doubt it is, but I can say we breezed through the interviews without a single question or suggestion from the agent about our setup or the employees of the other company.

The only thing they questioned Even the slightest was if all of the owners of both businesses were Responsible persons on the license.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:58:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The only thing they questioned Even the slightest was if all of the owners of both businesses were Responsible persons on the license.
View Quote

I will be the sole owner on the FFL.  does the co owner of the other business (my wife) need to be listed as an RP???
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 12:00:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I will be the sole owner on the FFL.  does the co owner of the other business (my wife) need to be listed as an RP???
View Quote

It's useful, especially if you want her to help out with transfers.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 12:04:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's useful, especially if you want her to help out with transfers.
View Quote

I don't.  She can't fill out a grocery list without screwing it up.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 12:04:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
07 ffls don't manufacture sbrs.
View Quote

So what do I with all the ones I made and registered on F2? Or do you mean you need an SOT in addition to an 07? (which technically you do not, but it gets expensive).
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 12:17:24 AM EDT
[#10]
This is just my opinion based no my experience, but given how they asked us about the ownership of the other business I would say go ahead and add her. It gets a little murky if she isn't on the FFL because she technically has some control over the business since they are both located in the same building. If they decide to make you add her late in the process, it will delay your license.

Link Posted: 11/6/2020 12:25:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This is just my opinion based no my experience, but given how they asked us about the ownership of the other business I would say go ahead and add her. It gets a little murky if she isn't on the FFL because she technically has some control over the business since they are both located in the same building. If they decide to make you add her late in the process, it will delay your license.

View Quote

Ok that makes sense
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top