Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2022 12:15:50 AM EDT
What's everyone using?

I've been making do for too long and need something legit.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 12:56:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I put my own together. I wasn't really enamored with the Otis kit; though it's a handy, compact kit, I felt it was awfully bare bones. So I pieced one together with the several items from an M2HB cleaning kit, and added a brush, a pick, some punches and tools, and put it all in a great tool roll I found on ebay.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Got one of those GI kits from Sarco. Great stuff. Not sure if they still have them.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 9:22:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been using an Otis multi-cal kit for years, is there something better I'm unaware of?
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a 60" one piece coated rod, ball bearing handle. It will go from chamber to muzzle without my knuckles dragging on the stock, did that, not fun.

The Otis kits to me are geared more towards field use. While most kits come with everything you need to clean a rifle, it's hard to beat a properly sized rod for cleaning.

Now, if we talk about cleaning products and lubes, science has come up with amazing products that won't kill you.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 3:08:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an M2 cleaning rod for scrubbing the bore real good. Most of the time I use an Otis kit like the one issued in the M107's.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 12:31:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Brass rods with 50 end tools.  Not much different than what I use on my 30 cal rifles except for the extra length of rod and bigger end tools.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#7]
So no one else is using a 50 cal boresnake? I just slather mine with CLP and drag it through 5 to 10 times.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By recoiljunky:
So no one else is using a 50 cal boresnake? I just slather mine with CLP and drag it through 5 to 10 times.
View Quote

That's what I do! Works great after a long range day when you just need a quick clean up.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 9:44:19 AM EDT
[#9]
+1 for the Otis military cleaning kit. It's nice and compact. Kind of hard to pull through though. I have to do a weird maneuver where I sit on the floor with my feet stretched out facing the muzzle. Then, pull the cord while I brace the rifle with my feet. But it works and I was able to pick up the 50BMG cleaning kit cheap on ebay.

I'd definitely do a military surplus cleaning rod if that option was available at a cheap price. Last I checked, they kind of dried up and are expensive when you can find them. Anyone have a line on them for a decent price?
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Email me [email protected] I think I have one or two extra sets. $20 shipped decent?
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top