Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2018 8:46:34 PM EDT
Has anyone used these?  I have been trying them out and they work pretty well:

https://huntegoltd.com/products/cleanshot-12-gauge?variant=1442138193944

You can buy them at Wal Mart.  It is the last shell you fire at the range and it cleans the bore.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:46:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Am I the only one who has tried them so far?  They are very new.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 5:34:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Its an interesting concept, Does it work on heavy fouling?  Some before and after shots of a bore from users or the manufacturer might be helpful.

Does it remove lead fouling from slugs?

Seems like if it removes lead fouling the revolver cartridge market would be a good next step - lead fouling in revolvers is a pain to clean.  Some revolver guys would shoot cheaper lead rounds then shoot jacketed the last few in an effort to blast out the lead - I actually think it didn't help and only made it more difficult to remove remaining lead.  If this can help with removing lead fouling, I'd think th revolver cartridge market would be worthy - since it says it works on rifled barrels.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:10:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Bet it gets messy if you clean it in the living room.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:12:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
You need to treat it like a regular shell rather than a blank because it does have actual metal projectiles still.  Actually there is a decent amount of recoil.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:28:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 3:55:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I saw them at Walmart also and kinda LOLed a little.
Do they get out heavy lead and plastic fouling? I just looked at their web site and they don't have any details like that at all and keep using the term "field clean". Wtf is "field clean"?
To much trouble to pull a bore snake through your barrel?
The cleanshot shell can't clean your chamber.
How could it leave a protective coating of oil if it is propelled by gun powder? (They don't say that it does, but that's part of cleaning)
It seems like a product aimed at first time gun owners, maybe women and youth, telling them that this is how you clean your new gun. No messy solvents, oils, cleaning rods and brushes to get lost or get your hands dirty.
ETA: OP, you say you've been using them. Why don't you elaborate? Will one shot get all lead fouling out of a barrel? Do you do a regular cleaning afterwards?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 4:05:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
It actually has shot in it. Look here. https://huntegoltd.com/pages/cutaway
I'm worried we're going have accidents from people who don't think it's a "real" round.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:12:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I saw them at Walmart also and kinda LOLed a little.
Do they get out heavy lead and plastic fouling? I just looked at their web site and they don't have any details like that at all and keep using the term "field clean". Wtf is "field clean"?
To much trouble to pull a bore snake through your barrel?
The cleanshot shell can't clean your chamber.
How could it leave a protective coating of oil if it is propelled by gun powder? (They don't say that it does, but that's part of cleaning)
It seems like a product aimed at first time gun owners, maybe women and youth, telling them that this is how you clean your new gun. No messy solvents, oils, cleaning rods and brushes to get lost or get your hands dirty.
ETA: OP, you say you've been using them. Why don't you elaborate? Will one shot get all lead fouling out of a barrel? Do you do a regular cleaning afterwards?
View Quote
Although I have used them three times I haven't had a chance yet to really look carefully at how it's doing.  I do have 5 left so I will see if I can get some pictures next time.

Qualitatively what I can say is that I am pretty impressed with them so far.  The bore is almost mirror-like after firing.  There are some small streaks but not sure what kind of fouling it is.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:42:39 AM EDT
[#9]
So what I'm hearing is that you shoot one or 2, costing a couple dollars, after a day at the range, and it will significantly reduce the time/effort required to clean your bore.

Do I have that right?

We all know that there's no way in hell it will get it spotless, but if it knocks heavy fouling down to "2 passes of a bore snake" level cleaning, it seems like a decent product for high volume shooters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top