Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2023 4:55:54 PM EDT
I always thought I would see "beams son" under nods when using ir. Of course upon experimenting with a dbal d2, I found that I would just see the dot on the target, unless of course I blow pixie dust for the laser to shine through.

At first I was a little disappointed, but quickly realized this could possibly have a benefit in a red dawn scenario. Adhering to strict light discipline, it likely won't matter- but an "enemy" with nv wouldn't as easily be able to directly trace the beam right back to your gun. The downside is of course that teammates wouldn't be able to see where you were targeting on order to cover other targets.

Silly scenario, but is it worth it to obtain a more powerful laser?
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 4:58:54 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're seriously concerned with adversary nods, go full passive and ditch your beams and IR supplements.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 5:02:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Special Forces Night Raid to Capture High Value Target

#1: Iraq is a dusty and sandy place so it's possible so see more beam in the air
#2: your weak *ss civilian legal laser is weak *ss compared to a full power military model.

Link Posted: 3/25/2023 5:37:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're seriously concerned with adversary nods, go full passive and ditch your beams and IR supplements.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Emitting is gross

Passive is the way.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Emitting is gross

Passive is the way.
View Quote

Yup.  Emitters are only for indoor, no light at all applications imho.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Silly scenario, but is it worth it to obtain a more powerful laser?
View Quote

The more powerful lasers are for the better illuminators not really for the brighter pointers.  

Link Posted: 3/25/2023 8:10:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what the trend has been lately... But I don't think I'm gonna go down that route. Though it would be nice to sell all that and get a thermal scope...
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 12:07:55 AM EDT
[#8]
In the thick forest I'm in, illuminators are occasionally a necessity.  It's true that you could 'just use a thermal', but if we're talking i2, in heavy tree cover, or a true pitch black night you need illum to shoot past ~50 yards, sometimes less.  
Just a time and a place for every tool.  You just have to treat it like a visible light these days since it's more likely than it used to be that someone can see it with their nods or security cam or whatever.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 1:30:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Passive with Eotech.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 3:08:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Passive with Eotech.
View Quote

Passive is a nice option but there is a benefit to the laser pointers.  Anyone that says otherwise is reducing their capabilities unnecessarily.

My full power PEQ15's are absurd on high power laser mode.  Thankfully, the diffuser cap reduces the output so it outputs like a civilian laser pointer or the pointer on low power.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 11:48:31 AM EDT
[#11]
The YT Channel 'Brass Facts' recently did a video on Passive vs Active - lots of through device video. Passive is awesome when the conditions favor it...unfortunately, those conditions are a less numerous than some people think. Have both, learn when to use each. You can 'what if' this stuff to death - if an adversary has Thermal (gives away your position via heat), whatta ya gonna do, never engage?

@SnazSleepWalker

Hahahahahaha!

vvvvvvv
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#12]
if an adversary has Thermal (gives away your position via heat), whatta ya gonna do, never engage?
View Quote

Correct
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 11:49:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The YT Channel 'Brass Facts' recently did a video on Passive vs Active - lots of through device video. Passive is awesome when the conditions favor it...unfortunately, those conditions are a less numerous than some people think. Have both, learn when to use each. You can 'what if' this stuff to death - if an adversary has Thermal (gives away your position via heat), whatta ya gonna do, never engage?

@SnazSleepWalker

Hahahahahaha!

vvvvvvv
View Quote

Thank you sir!
Night Vision: Why Active Aiming is Superior to Passive Aiming
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 12:31:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Passive is a nice option but there is a benefit to the laser pointers.  Anyone that says otherwise is reducing their capabilities unnecessarily.

My full power PEQ15's are absurd on high power laser mode.  Thankfully, the diffuser cap reduces the output so it outputs like a civilian laser pointer or the pointer on low power.
View Quote

You need to do both, but modern real world P2P passive is the go to - active is the back up.

Thermal 18mm FL and 640x.

Current doctrine, correctly, is focussed on minimum signature.

Light discipline applies to white, red, green, blue and IR.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:36:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You need to do both, but modern real world P2P passive is the go to - active is the back up.

Thermal 18mm FL and 640x.

Current doctrine, correctly, is focussed on minimum signature.

Light discipline applies to white, red, green, blue and IR.
View Quote

Who in the modern real world is engaging other humans primarily passive? Whose current doctrine is this?

I've taken NV classes from multiple CAG and DEVGRU guys, and none of them emphasized passive.

I get the prediction of using passive in future conflicts, but that's all conjecture at this point. The closest example we have of a near pear conflict is Ukraine, and conventional forces aren't using NV over there anyway.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:48:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Who in the modern real world is engaging other humans primarily passive? Whose current doctrine is this?

I've taken NV classes from multiple CAG and DEVGRU guys, and none of them emphasized passive.

I get the prediction of using passive in future conflicts, but that's all conjecture at this point. The closest example we have of a near pear conflict is Ukraine, and conventional forces aren't using NV over there anyway.
View Quote

The current doctrine is minimum signature....................AFG COIN and its subsets is not a sole template, it is one of many.

In the Ukraine conflict infiltration is carried out by both sides in the dark under NODS. The weak spots are identified and the meat attempts to punch through in daylight.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:53:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The current doctrine is minimum signature....................AFG COIN is not a template, it it one of many.
View Quote

Whose current doctrine?

And does "minimum signature" mean passive? Turning the laser on to engage and then turning it back off could also mean minimal signature.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 9:02:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Whose current doctrine?

And does "minimum signature" mean passive? Turning the laser on to engage and then turning it back off could also mean minimal signature.
View Quote

Literally everyones (NATO) doctrine is to minimise signature its not contentious.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 9:11:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Literally everyones (NATO) doctrine is to minimise signature its not contentious.
View Quote

You're saying that a generic NATO doctrine of minimizing signature means that US soldiers are currently engaging (or even training to engage) other soldiers primarily passively under NV instead of with their IR lasers?

I'm not trying to be contentious. I'm just trying to square what actual NV SMEs have said with what the internet NV community says.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 4:36:47 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Weren't most of those guys trained in the GWOT era, when our forces had total domination of the i2 market.  The assumption of 'we own the night' is simply not valid anymore. Every ring camera on your block can see your ir lasers.  Every security camera, many modern cell phones. Shit, even my oculus vr headset can see in the ir spectrum.  Regardless of what delta force devgru navy seal marines may have learned overseas 15 or 20 years ago, today you would be a fool to use active lights when you don't absolutely need them.  

Caveat is that you would be a fool to not use them when you absolutely do need them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 5:12:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Weren't most of those guys trained in the GWOT era, when our forces had total domination of the i2 market.  The assumption of 'we own the night' is simply not valid anymore. Every ring camera on your block can see your ir lasers.  Every security camera, many modern cell phones. Shit, even my oculus vr headset can see in the ir spectrum.  Regardless of what delta force devgru navy seal marines may have learned overseas 15 or 20 years ago, today you would be a fool to use active lights when you don't absolutely need them.  

Caveat is that you would be a fool to not use them when you absolutely do need them.
View Quote

That has been brought up how there was no IR discipline early on in the GWOT 20 years ago, but bad guys with cheap night shot camcorders ended that practice many years ago.

FWIW, the DEVGRU instructor had only been out a few months when asked about passive aiming. Not to say it never happens, but to say it's the primary method over a laser does not track with anything I've heard from the people that are actually doing it.

Caveat: all of my NV rifles are setup with a passive aiming solution in addition to a laser/illuminator. I think it's a good option to have even if it's not the primary aiming method.

Also, to add a little bit of personal experience to the stuff that I'm parroting from other people, the illuminator is needed more often than not to positively ID photorealistic paper targets and live role players during force on force with simunitions.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 11:09:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Mission, ROE, PID all play a role.

The whole point of high quality NODS is to give a tactical advantage e.g. you can detect, recognise, identify and engage a foe before he can do the same to you.  

By being passive (because your identification range is greater), it allows you first mover advantage and in contact, first mover advantage is usually decisive.  

When contact is enjoined its fine to go active so long as you keep moving and the people with you are well trained, have good comms and tactically know how to move as a group.  

If you're solo Vs group scenario - you're done and dusted if you go active, more so if you go active and don't move.

Note all of the above refers to P2P and identification means a valid threat.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 1:16:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Have we seen a near peer or peer v. peer large scale conflict where both sides are actively using and utilizing nvgs?

I suspect or hypothesize that common practices (maybe not particularly  doctrine) may change as  experiences progress with larger amounts of NVG (and thermal) use on both sides, with particular and possibly  emphasis on reduction of emissions.

Someone from tnvc stated that 2022 would go down as a year of massive IP theft in the thermal and  NOD world. It’s no stretch of the imagination to believe that we will see more and more and cheaper and cheaper devices flooding armies of the world.

Link Posted: 3/28/2023 10:25:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Have we seen a near peer or peer v. peer large scale conflict where both sides are actively using and utilizing nvgs?
View Quote

Ukraine - night, probing and infiltration - both sides.  

Its has also been recognised as an issue for many years.  In terms of smaller uncooled thermals its a wash, in terms of IIT the  west produces better to significantly better tubes.  Photonis in France produces something like 60% - 70% of total supply in any given year.  

The largest producers of IIT in Russia are KATOD and EKRAN and as a general comment their tubes are lower sensitivity, lower gain, lower resolution, lower high-light resolution with relatively poor halo and no autogating.  They do have two strengths, they will operate down to at least -45 degrees C and they are very robust.  

The point being if you're running modern western NODS you will have a much better DRI range than the opposition - see above in relation to passive aiming and decisive first mover outcomes.

The technology behind IIT is simple and well understood - however, it is exceedingly difficult to make good photocathodes and micro-channel plates.  Implicit in this, the west has a significant advantage. It is far better to build on that advantage by being passive to gain a decisive position at contact or for surveillance purposes.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top