Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2020 10:12:05 AM EDT
Would chrome lining a barrel after nitriding provide any benefit to barrel life?
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 11:09:28 AM EDT
[#1]
If your ultimate goal is barrel life on a MG maybe, but on a one-off basis it wouldn't be worth it.
Not sure how well the chromium would bond to the nitrided surface, it's typical to acid etch the surface before plating.
Historically chrome lining has been less consistent than nitride, but companies like Chriterion offer chrome lined, hand-lapped match barrels.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 11:21:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 11:25:05 AM EDT
[#3]
No need.
Nitride is harder and slicker than chrome.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 1:07:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a machinist inform me that if one wished to EDM (electrical discharge machining) a part that was nitrided,  the nitrided layer would need to be ground off, since it is not electrically conductive.  I never verified that,  so I don't know if it is true.   Chrome plating is an electroplating process in which the part to be plated is the cathode (the negatively charged part) and the anode is a stainless steel rod that has lead-plated.  It would be problematic if the cathode is non-conductive.

I tend to think that chrome plating is the superior technology.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 12:17:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, I stand corrected - I just stumbled upon this report from 1968 that states that chrome-plating over a nitrided layer provides somewhat superior results.  It's on page 16 of the PDF.

Materials for Small Arms Gun Barrels
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top