Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2018 11:52:34 AM EDT
If you need to rebarrel your Garand, you might consider using a chrome lined barrel.

Criterion makes chrome lined Garand barrels for Fulton Armory and these barrels are available in .30-06 and in. 308.

These barrels are also as accurate as non-chromed barrels. And the chrome lined barrels are easy to clean and will last a very long time.

If you want to rebarrel your own Garand, chrome lined barrels are a good way to go because you will not need an expensive pull through chamber reamer.

Pull through reamer kits can cost around $200 whereas a chrome-line barrel costs an additional hundred bucks.

The chrome lined barrel is fully chambered and you can only adjust headspace by using different bolts.

The shortest Garand bolts are WRA followed by Springfield-12 bolts.  If you install a chrome lined barrel a WRA or SA-12 bolt will drop in and headspace properly.

With other Garand bolts, you may have to lap the bolt in and 65 series bolts will be too long to fit.

So with a chrome lined barrel, just tighten and time it to your receiver. Then drop in a WRA or SA-12 bolt and you should be golden.

Some people are afraid of trying a chrome lined barrel because they can't be finish reamed.  So get a short bolt and don't worry.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 3:41:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Criterion does not list .308 chrome barrels on their site.

Are you sure they still offer them?
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 4:13:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Criterion does not list .308 chrome barrels on their site.

Are you sure they still offer them?
View Quote
They sell them through Fulton Armory.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 5:01:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought the SA-19 Bolts were the shortest head spacing.

The criterion chrome line m14 barrels shoot well.  I have not tried a garand replacement.

The current technology is Obviously better than chrome plating I the 50’s and sixties.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 5:05:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I thought the SA-19 Bolts were the shortest head spacing.

The criterion chrome line m14 barrels shoot well.  I have not tried a garand replacement.

The current technology is Obviously better than chrome plating I the 50’s and sixties.
View Quote
-19 bolts are actually longer.   Only -2 and the 65 series are longer than the -19s.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 5:05:17 PM EDT
[#5]
The only problem that I have with any chrome lined barrel is that nobody has yet shown that a chrome layer in a long tube will be as constant in dimensions as the original unplated barrel.
Admittedly, chrome plating will give much longer life. However, I'm in it for precision, not long duration blasting.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 5:10:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They sell them through Fulton Armory.
View Quote
I can't find it listed for sale, do you have a link?
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The only problem that I have with any chrome lined barrel is that nobody has yet shown that a chrome layer in a long tube will be as constant in dimensions as the original unplated barrel.
Admittedly, chrome plating will give much longer life. However, I'm in it for precision, not long duration blasting.
View Quote
I have Garands with barrels by Criterion, Breda, Springfield Armory, VAR, Bula Forge and Krieger.

And my most accurate barrel is a chrome lined Criterion .308.

I have around ten chrome lined .30-06 Garand barrels and these are extremely accurate barrels.  A chrome lined Criterion barrel is simply better than any of the original military barrels.

Criterion uses a special proprietary method to build chrome lined barrels. These barrels are really, really good.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I can't find it listed for sale, do you have a link?
View Quote
Go to their website and find the Garand barrels.  Then you will see a drop down menu called, "Product Options"

Use the drop down menu and you will find the chrome lined barrels
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 5:51:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Go to their website and find the Garand barrels.  Then you will see a drop down menu called, "Product Options"

Use the drop down menu and you will find the chrome lined barrels
View Quote
Woo, thanks!  
I'd been waiting on a source for a chrome .308 barrel to finish up a project.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#10]

This Garand has a chrome lined 30-06 barrel and it's crazy accurate

Link Posted: 8/13/2018 6:00:50 AM EDT
[#11]
If a person buys the receiver wrench and barrel vice, levels, headspace gages he may as well buy the reamer.

Y
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 7:35:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/234818/20180514_190226-638617.jpg

This Garand has a chrome lined 30-06 barrel and it's crazy accurate.
View Quote
Your M1 is sooo good looking, it's making that pooch look butt-ugly.

Link Posted: 8/13/2018 6:57:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Years ago I had dropped my rifle at Fulton, later picked it up with chrome lined barrel installed.  Shot a little clover leaf sized group at 100 yards and put it in the safe where it sits today.   I guess I figured I had it fixed.  I need to shoot it!
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#14]
They only chrome lined barrels I use are in blaster rifles. Criterion chrom-moly and stainless steel barrels are a better choice for accuracy.

No national level competitor is using chrome lined barrels in any shooting discipline. That should tell you everything you need to know.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 7:53:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They only chrome lined barrels I use are in blaster rifles. Criterion chrom-moly and stainless steel barrels are a better choice for accuracy.

No national level competitor is using chrome lined barrels in any shooting discipline. That should tell you everything you need to know.
View Quote
That's because they don't know how good these barrels are.

Now I intend to conduct an experiment.  I will have Rob Furlong shoot a Krieger barrelled Garand next to a chrome lined Criterion Garand.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 5:30:09 AM EDT
[#16]
A test was done a few years back that standard Criterion barrels outshot the more expensive  Krieger
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 6:46:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A test was done a few years back that standard Criterion barrels outshot the more expensive  Krieger
View Quote
So now lets test the chrome lined model against the Krieger.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#18]
A chrome bore does not make a barrel any more accurate, all it does is make the bore easier to clean.. If your rifle with a chrome barrel seems to be more accurate it has nothing to do with the chrome. There are more factors that affect accuracy from rifle to rifle than just the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 7:09:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A chrome bore does not make a barrel any more accurate, all it does is make the bore easier to clean.. If your rifle with a chrome barrel seems to be more accurate it has nothing to do with the chrome. There are more factors that affect accuracy from rifle to rifle than just the barrel.
View Quote
Criterion's chrome lined barrels are as least as accurate as their unlined barrels
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:16:44 PM EDT
[#20]
never said they weren't
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 2:17:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Not just ease of cleaning but chrome lined bores will also retain rifling longer thus keeping your velocity higher for longer periods.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
weren't they owned by Krieger until 2013 or so?
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 2:09:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

weren't they owned by Krieger until 2013 or so?
View Quote
They started out in the same building.  Mr. Krieger and Mr. Dahlke were (and are) good friends.

There was a need for cut rifled premium barrels and also high quality, high volume button rifled barrels.

Both companies were needed to serve different shooting needs.  Both campanies cooperated and Mr Krieger helped Mr. Dahlke start Criterion.

They are now in seperate buildings.  But they are still good friends and they meet regularly for lunch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top