Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2018 10:14:20 PM EDT
My only goal is to deter smash and grab burglaries. Do not suggest that I buy a $2k plus safe. It's not going to happen.

I found a 24 gun cheapo safe locally for 400. I also found, locally, a simple security cabinet. The safe is obviously not overly sturdy, but moreso than the locker.

Given that I don't have priceless antiques would I be better off with the cabinet and reinforcing the door to the closet it'll sit in or am I better off with the dubious off brand "safe".

When I say reinforce the closet door, my idea on that is to use hinges with non removable pins, opens outward, grade 1 lockset, and reframe it with a steel frame.

Again, not trying to stop pros (which a cheap safe won't do anyway). Trying to deter 5 minute smash and grabs.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:03:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Which one is heavier and has better "retention" for the door and cabinet body (cross-bolts in the door and bolt-down points for the body)?

Given your specs, these would be my deciding factors, in addition to any fire rating.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top