Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 4/18/2024 3:10:18 PM EDT
Hi I live in south texas and plan on to go hog hunting or even coyotes. Also want to use it for training. I'm planning on getting a chest rig to run with my mystery ranch 3 day assault pack for when i go out to the field. It gets hot and humid down here so I definitely need to pack for the environment such as water and medical. I've narrowed my search down to 3 chest rigs. I would choose the gen 4 mayflower but it has too many pouches more than what I need. If anything I'll settle with 3 or 4 mag pouches up front and a couple of pouches for medical and gp. Help me decide.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/386856804230?itmmeta=01HV2N9WY0SRYDKJ0EBK26NQW2&hash=item5a12765f86:g:9Q4AAOSwZ2ll8hsP

https://www.trex-arms.com/store/t-rex-quad-flap-chest-rig/

https://fullmetaljacket.com/products/eagle-industries-multi-mission-chest-rig?variant=43292482928861
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TNC:
Tagged for interest and pics. I got a spiritus micro mk 5, added a bino pouch, but havn't actualy used it yet
View Quote

What color
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:46:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I like Faust and a small backpack.
https://faust.systems/equipment/p/d-rig
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:53:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lungbuster] [#5]
Attachment Attached File

I use a Haley micro-rig for predators. Holds one magazine, range finder, remote for my caller goes in the other mag holder, knife, flashlight and phone. Water, caller and a few other things goes in my Source 20 liter pack.

Of your choices, I’d go with the Mayflower.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:56:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TNC] [#6]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:40:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the way to start your evaluation of chest rigs is to ask yourself what do I want to have at hand quickly and what do I use often? Anything you don't need quickly or don't use frequently can go into a pack. From that point you can determine what size pouches that you want on your chest rig.  The second thing to keep in mind are the straps of your pack.  Some chest rigs like the U.S. Army TAPS have pouches that go back rather far on the side of the wearer and that can interpret the straps of the pack making the pack less comfortable to wear and the pouches that the straps are covering up harder to actually use. The third consideration is whether the majority of the time that you're wearing the chest rig whether you'll have on a pack and/or belt kit, that will determine the need for things like six magazines on the chest rig vs. three or four and again what general purpose pouches that you'll need on the chest rig.

I am not a fan of the MOLLE chest rigs, while customizable they are bulky, ultimately heavier, and far more costly once fully set-up than just buying a turnkey sewn down fixed pouched chest rig.  

The Velocity Systems UW Chest Rig IV is the gold standard that most chest rigs are measured against and for good reason.  The Velocity Systems 5.56 Hybrid is a close second in popularity, for those who want a bit more customization with what they put on with the side/flank general purpose pouches. One of the Chest Rigs I've been looking at lately that looks interesting, but I don't have any experience with yet is the Citadel Defense Spectre Chest Rig and I've been thinking about picking on up.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:03:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I have zero experience with this company but they offer several configurations.

https://headontactical.com/chest-rigs/
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:27:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: smarcus] [#9]
For hog/coyote/deer hunting on our 200 acres I put my own together with a micro chest rig and some pouches.  I went with a micro chest rig because I didn't want any pouches under my arms.  I think the micro rig is Warwick and the pouches are various American made items.

Left to Right.
IFAK
2x mag pouches (Universal rear, 556 front holding Leica 2800I rangefinder)
1x Mag pouch and knife
Pouch for Thermal spotter

Since I took this picture I added 2 pistol mag pouches under the knife and in front of the mag pouch which I use for 1 pistol mag and a flashlight.  Also 2 of the mag pouches are 7.62 so I can use it with my large frame or bolt guns as well as my Grendel or 556.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:15:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys for the answers. Like one of the guys said above I'm just going to put whatever I won't use on a carrier in my 3 day pack or just wear a belt kit. I went with the spiritus mk4 micro in m81. It's light enough for me to move around and I'm just carrying the bare minimum. If I wanted to carry more on it I'll just get The Thing 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top