Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2021 7:44:55 PM EDT
Still learning the NFA trust ropes here, what do I need to do with an existing trust to update my address? The trust currently has no NFA items so no worries about notifying ATF about moving items out of state. I had the trust created shortly before I moved, but am wanting to submit some Form 1's and 4's in the trusts name and not sure what I need to do to update my address.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 8:42:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Ask the attorney who you paid to write the trust.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 8:51:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I moved from MD to NC. I did my trust when I lived in MD and had a couple of form 4 items and two form 1 items on it. I did the trust myself using an older version of quicken will maker.

I contacted an attorney when I moved to NC and he said, in so many words, that if the trust is good in MD it's good in NC.

Literally nothing changed. Although the trust was formed in MD, all future items are engraved with your current city/state. I've since applied for and received a half dozen form 1s and have never had an issue.

So as long as the trust is valid in your new state, you're not required to do anything.

This is not legal advice and I'm not an attorney, YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:24:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ask the attorney who you paid to write the trust.
View Quote

Hard to get in touch with, he's passed on
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:27:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I moved from MD to NC. I did my trust when I lived in MD and had a couple of form 4 items and two form 1 items on it. I did the trust myself using an older version of quicken will maker.

I contacted an attorney when I moved to NC and he said, in so many words, that if the trust is good in MD it's good in NC.

Literally nothing changed. Although the trust was formed in MD, all future items are engraved with your current city/state. I've since applied for and received a half dozen form 1s and have never had an issue.

So as long as the trust is valid in your new state, you're not required to do anything.

This is not legal advice and I'm not an attorney, YMMV.
View Quote

That's what I've been reading.

Think I just need to talk to an attorney, no reason to give ATF cause to take even longer on approvals or outright deny one.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 8:53:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Can you amend your trust to update the city and state? That’s how my trust is setup
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top