Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2017 4:01:19 PM EDT
Not sure if this was covered before...

Does cerakote add any weight comparing to just hard coat anodized surface?
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 7:58:50 AM EDT
[#1]
It's only .001" thick.  Any weight added is negligible.  You'd need a very high end scale to be able to weigh the difference.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 9:40:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Just drink an extra cup of coffee every day, lifting the cup to your mouth should build enough strength to overcome the weigth of a ceracote finish.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 9:45:00 AM EDT
[#3]
You serious, Clark?
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 10:08:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 12:38:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My understanding was that the ano had to be removed to cerakote.

Am I wrong? (Not well versed in coatings).
View Quote
Anodizing does not need to be removed to Cerakote. You need to have a proper adhesion profile on the base surface, but that can be achieved by blasting at a low enough pressure to not cut through the anodizing on the part.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 3:09:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 11:33:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Before you leave the house, take 1 round out of your magazine.  That'll more than offset the added weight of the cerakote on your rifle.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 2:10:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Before you leave the house, take 1 round out of your magazine.  That'll more than offset the added weight of the cerakote on your rifle.
View Quote
Not to single you out, because I see comments like that a lot and the logic of it pains me...  The idea at any weight class is to maintain functionality.  Carrying less ammo to offset weight added elsewhere, especially completely non-functional weight, makes no sense at any level.

Regardless of how insignificant the weight of Cerakote might be, it just isn't helpful feedback.  It's not particularly funny, either.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 2:15:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not to single you out, because I see comments like that a lot and the logic of it pains me...  The idea at any weight class is to maintain functionality.  Carrying less ammo to offset weight added elsewhere, especially completely non-functional weight, makes no sense at any level.

Regardless of how insignificant the weight of Cerakote might be, it just isn't helpful feedback.  It's not particularly funny, either.
View Quote
Yes it is, we do it to each other around here all the time.

See you have not been around to long

Lighten up Francis.

Link Posted: 12/5/2017 4:47:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yes it is, we do it to each other around here all the time.

See you have not been around to long

Lighten up Francis.

View Quote
I get humor...when it's funny.  Repeating the same thing ad nauseam doesn't qualify.  Especially when there's no indication it was a joke.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 5:35:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I get humor...when it's funny.  Repeating the same thing ad nauseam doesn't qualify.  Especially when there's no indication it was a joke.
View Quote
Well what you or I find funny or not funny has no bearing on what another may or may not find funny.

The question was actually silly for anyone that knows anything about paints and coatings, cerakote for all intensive purposes in the amount used to coat receivers weighs virtually nothing to the gun.

Now if we are talking about painting a 747 then it makes a big difference, I remember a time back in the 80's that airlines stopped painting their airplanes because the weight of the type of paint they had to use for the environment added enough weight that the planes increase fuel consumption between 3-7% which added a hell of a lot of costs to flights.

My partner and I actually did some weight testing when we started manufacturing suppressor tubes on anodizing the tubes, we have also coated tubes and checked before and after weights, which didn't register on anything except the most sensitive scale systems and it was like 1/1000th of an ounce.  I suspect a cerakote on an upper and lower adds even less that 1/1000th of an ounce to the weight of those parts.

Cerakote is a thin film coating technology.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Now if we are talking about painting a 747 then it makes a big difference, I remember a time back in the 80's that airlines stopped painting their airplanes because the weight of the type of paint they had to use for the environment added enough weight that the planes increase fuel consumption between 3-7% which added a hell of a lot of costs to flights.

My partner and I actually did some weight testing when we started manufacturing suppressor tubes on anodizing the tubes, we have also coated tubes and checked before and after weights, which didn't register on anything except the most sensitive scale systems and it was like 1/1000th of an ounce.  I suspect a cerakote on an upper and lower adds even less that 1/1000th of an ounce to the weight of those parts.

Cerakote is a thin film coating technology.
View Quote
Those are good additions.  I was going to mention cars, where the paint can be 15-20 lbs.  Scaling that down to gun size, and perhaps not doing the mental gymnastics to account for different depths of coating, it's not hard to imagine someone thinking there would be an ounce or two there.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Now were crying about weight of a coating omg when did arfcom let in sissy boys

There is those of us here with rifles in the ar-15 and ar-10 variety that weigh  upwards of 12 pounds
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 1:53:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Now were crying about weight of a coating omg when did arfcom let in sissy boys
View Quote
Wow, you win the "worst interpretation of the conversation" award of the day.  Well done.

Because asking how much something weighs is exactly the same as crying about the weight.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#15]
lol
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 7:05:53 PM EDT
[#16]
It don’t weigh much.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 2:03:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, if we really want to get pedantic about the topic - the weight will vary, depending on where you're carrying the Cerakoted rifle. Up in the Andes or Himalayans, farther from the center of the earth, the rifle, and hence the coating, will weigh less. Down in Death valley, incrementally more.

However, the mass increase will remain the same, wherever you may travel with the firearm.

Does this qualify as funny? Or just picky - I'm guessing the latter!
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 2:17:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well, if we really want to get pedantic about the topic - the weight will vary, depending on where you're carrying the Cerakoted rifle. Up in the Andes or Himalayans, farther from the center of the earth, the rifle, and hence the coating, will weigh less. Down in Death valley, incrementally more.

However, the mass increase will remain the same, wherever you may travel with the firearm.

Does this qualify as funny? Or just picky - I'm guessing the latter!
View Quote
The logic of this answer is on par with the logic of the question.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top