Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2023 6:42:41 PM EDT
I'm trying to remember the name of the tool that you use to mark the centerline of a piece of metal so I can order one.  I have two Mossberg front sights, the bases are rectangular, about 9mm in width, and I need to scribe a line down the center so I can drill a hole for the front bead to fit in. I've got a drill press and a slide vice so I should be good to go there but my measuring is, uh, typically not machinist quality so I'm looking for the tool that automatically centers the scribe.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 7:05:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CNC_Guy] [#1]
Square set

You can set the 90* square and make light marks from opposing sides and adjust until they match. Then make the deeper scribe. You can do this with the end of a regular caliper also.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 7:28:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Ouch, $400 is out of my price range for two front sights.  I tried with my digital calipers but I guess this sight base is hardened or something because it's not marking it; I guess I should put Dykem on it and do it that way.  I was just thinking there was some sort of inexpensive clamp that automatically kept the scribe centered as you adjusted it; I've had some shop type classes but I'm definitely no machinist.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a mill table after centering but you may be thinking of a surface gage/scribe

HHIP 4401-2012 Steel Surface Gage, 4" and 7" Post Length https://a.co/d/i6jANof

Link Posted: 3/11/2023 10:52:26 PM EDT
[#4]
There are much much cheaper ones, I just grabbed that one as an example.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Skip ahead to about 3 minutes in.

Simple way to find outside dead centre on round stock
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 5:28:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Or were you looking for this? Hermaphrodite Caliper
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#7]
This is what I'm working with-this is the bottom of the sight that mounts to the barrel.  I need to drill a hole center line to go over the front sight bead.  I'm probably greatly over-complicating things and making excuses to buy another tool.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 7:59:50 PM EDT
[#8]
What are you using to drill? If not a mill, I assume a drill press…Do you have a cross-slide vise and an indicator?

Your level of accuracy is going to be limited by your equipment. Coloring the surface with sharpie ink and scribing longitudinal lines with a caliper from opposite sides will probably get you close enough for drill press work
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep, drill press with a cross slide vice. No idea why I didn't think of it initially but I think just coating it in Dykem and use the calipers to scribe the line ought to be close enough. The sight curvature matches up with that of the barrel well enough that it should self align OK, as long as I don't do something stupid and have to wallow out the hole to get it to fit.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 3:49:42 AM EDT
[#10]
For anyone revisiting this thread, or need something similar to find the centerline of material, all you need is three holes and some dowel pins. Simple little tool that's too damn useful to keep around if you work with round stock...like barrels, or need to find dead center of long stock.

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 6:52:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I got the other project done, but i need one of those things to add to my collection of tools.  Got a name or source?
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 7:42:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 10:03:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 10:05:28 AM EDT
[#14]
That'll work, thanks.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 4:14:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:
That'll work, thanks.
View Quote

Which one?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top