Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2018 9:50:27 PM EDT
Is this done with brass you wouldn't normally reload?
We shoot a shit ton of .22lr among other calibers.
Are solid brass bullets accurate?
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 9:55:33 PM EDT
[#1]
You would not be able to do it safely or easily, due to the temperatures involved. Brass melts at a temperature about 1000 degrees higher than lead. I suppose you could cast with it but you would need some seriously heavy duty equipment, and I would imagine managing the heat in the mold would be very difficult, and a cast brass bullet would take quite a while to cool off.

What you want is swaging, where you cast a lead core and repurpose a brass case into a jacket. 22 lr brass works well for 224 cal bullets.

Swaging dies, however, are not inexpensive for the most part, and the overall process is labor intensive. They can be made for standard presses in addition to special heavier duty or hydraulic presses.

Don't confuse swaging dies that just swage soft lead for the type that make jacketed bullets, though.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 10:29:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You would not be able to do it safely or easily, due to the temperatures involved. Brass melts at a temperature about 1000 degrees higher than lead. I suppose you could cast with it but you would need some seriously heavy duty equipment, and I would imagine managing the heat in the mold would be very difficult, and a cast brass bullet would take quite a while to cool off.

What you want is swaging, where you cast a lead core and repurpose a brass case into a jacket. 22 lr brass works well for 224 cal bullets.

Swaging dies, however, are not inexpensive for the most part, and the overall process is labor intensive. They can be made for standard presses in addition to special heavier duty or hydraulic presses.

Don't confuse swaging dies that just swage soft lead for the type that make jacketed bullets, though.
View Quote
Thanks for the reply, I should have looked up the melting temp for brass for my answer. I guess I was hoping it was easier but then there would be more info here about the process.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 5:34:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is a guy that melted some brass cases to make a lower.

One data point on melting brass

Melting brass
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top