Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2018 1:34:39 AM EDT
Depending on the powder, charge volumes can and do vary greatly.
One example:  ‘max’ load of Auto Comp is 60% fill, whereas Blue Dot ‘max’ is 103% (compressed load obviously).

Specificaly as it relates only to case fill percentage/volume... are there benefits/drawbacks to one extreme or the other?
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 9:05:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 11:18:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Safety and powder position sensitivity.

Safety comes from fluffy gunpowder that overflow with a double charge.

Tiny charges in a relatively large case can cause erratic ignition, speeds, and pressures.  Good case full is just a good practice in straight wall and bottleneck cases.

I am not an advocate of using small or starter charges of fast for caliber gunpowders in an attempt to save money.  Use those when there is no other option.
View Quote
Thanks Aero.
I too like the ‘safety margin’ of full (or close to it) to reduce the potential for double charges.
Knock on wood... I’ve never had a double or squib.  But I’d rather not start now if course
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 2:53:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Safety and powder position sensitivity.

Safety comes from fluffy gunpowder that overflow with a double charge.

Tiny charges in a relatively large case can cause erratic ignition, speeds, and pressures.  Good case full is just a good practice in straight wall and bottleneck cases.

I am not an advocate of using small or starter charges of fast for caliber gunpowders in an attempt to save money.  Use those when there is no other option.
View Quote
Pretty much this.  Fast powders that can easily double-charge and maybe not even be noticed, are a significant Kaboom risk.  Also, I've always been a believer that a full case means no variability to how the powder lays, which makes for more consistent ammo.  In a pistol, for most people, does that really matter?  That said, I find that really slow powders usually don't burn very clean or consistent, and tend to throw a lot of powder around, on your arms and in your face.   For this reason I tend to prefer more middle-speed powders, like HP38, CFE Pistol, AA#5, Win 231.  I find that slower powders like BlueDot just spew powder everywhere, and result in a quickly fouled gun.  Just my preference.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 3:16:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 2:56:28 PM EDT
[#5]
As others said, being able to catch a double charge easily is great about more fill. I use Titegroup in my .40 USPSA loads, and go significantly slower then when loading say my 9mm loads with power pistol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top