Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2018 2:23:30 PM EDT
Anyone recommend a machinist to do it?  Preferably someone who has done a few in the past.

m60joe is not doing them anymore.  
The guy I knew in Phoenix AZ is not either.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 10:41:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Try USAnodizing, I know they do gunsmithing for M16s, not sure if they would do just a carrier.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 11:33:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you have to modify an existing carrier, or could you just buy one already in that profile? Young Manufacturing still makes LL compatible carriers in chrome and phosphate finishes.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 11:34:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try USAnodizing, I know they do gunsmithing for M16s, not sure if they would do just a carrier.
View Quote
I’ll reach out to Victor.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 11:37:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Do you have to modify an existing carrier, or could you just buy one already in that profile? Young Manufacturing still makes LL compatible carriers in chrome and phosphate finishes.
View Quote
Good question.  I’m getting a CMMG 9mm Guard upper.   It’s different (I assume) than a normal carrier.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 1:38:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Anyone recommend a machinist to do it?  Preferably someone who has done a few in the past.

m60joe is not doing them anymore.  
The guy I knew in Phoenix AZ is not either.

Thanks.
View Quote
Apparently M60 Joe sold his business and isn’t do anymore work. That sucks.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 2:20:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Please let me know if you find someone. I need a 9mm carrier modified for my RLL as well.

@Steamedliver
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Literally anyone with an end mill can do it. There's only one measurement to check.
Try your local gunsmiths and machine shops.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Literally anyone with an end mill can do it. There's only one measurement to check.
Try your local gunsmiths and machine shops.
View Quote
I admit, I have not done that.  I live in a small town, so the likelyhood is low.   I’d have to go to Dallas for that, and it’s 3 hours away.  Mailing it is just more time efficient.

I will ask around.

What measurement is critical and what should it be?
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 3:41:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Distance from rear to the sear trip surface, but I don't have it handy. The thickness of the upper part of your link affects what it should be. I'd set it up to use a thick one, for strength, if you don't already have a uniform distance on all your carriers.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 3:52:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Please let me know if you find someone. I need a 9mm carrier modified for my RLL as well.

@Steamedliver
View Quote
Same here... Please
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 4:12:19 PM EDT
[#11]
A quick search turned up 2 dimensions from the rear of the carrier to the face of the trip surface.....,387" and .380" .

I'll measure my SP1 carrier when I'm home from work
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 4:15:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I’ll ask around and measure mine this week.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 5:37:14 PM EDT
[#13]
My carriers are .380" at the back. Radius should be vertical or no more than R 1/32" if cut with a ball end mill.

9mm bolts usually try to retain the weight by just having a channel milled into them for the paddle to travel in.

from quarterbore

Link Posted: 9/6/2018 6:16:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Sorry that this post is a little off topic but is anyone concerned about their RLL breaking when used with 9mm blockback? I realize the Guard’s radial delayed blowback should be easier on the link.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 2:23:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 4:01:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Yep. I've always cut mine at .380. The thickness of the paddle comes into play as well, so its nice to have a few different size paddles to get the timing just right.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 5:48:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I did several back when I used to have my LL. Would probably consider doing them again.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:57:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Pretty easy job
I cut 4 bolts today and did 7 different hosts for 3 sears I have in the shop now and have to reweld one of them.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 11:22:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone try milling a suppressed bolt carrier like gemtech?  I want the can full auto but with less rof.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Anyone try milling a suppressed bolt carrier like gemtech? I want the can full auto but with less rof.
View Quote
@JsbsMarine

sp3worker, above, did one for me and it did exactly that...slowed the rof noticeably.  Highly recommend his work.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 4:29:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Excellent thank u!
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top