Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2021 10:09:47 AM EDT
Anyone have experience with the cannon 64 or 72 gun safes?

I know most threads on here are recommending expensive safes, but I don't have the budget for something expensive.

I out grow my other safe and want to replace it.

Cannon 72

Cannon 64
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 10:13:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the big one from tractor supply. I think it's 84 or 96, works well enough
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 10:35:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the big one from tractor supply. I think it's 84 or 96, works well enough
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 10:36:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I just noticed there is another thread, asking about the same 72 gun safe.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 10:40:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Another is I am having is at almost 700lbs. I'm not sure how I would be able to get it up the stairs, if the second floor would be able to support the weight.

Anyone have a heavy safe on the second floor?

Are there any similar size safes that are not fireproof, so they are lighter?
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 1:00:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 5:52:32 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

That is nice, but not sure how I would get an 850lbs safe up the stairs, or if the stairs/floor would support the weight.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 7:16:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought the 80 gun version a few years ago. The only issue I had with it is the board that has the notches to rest rifles in delaminated and came apart. I sent Cannon an email about it and they shipped me a new one.

The safe is quite heavy and has provisions for anchoring it down. I put half inch concrete anchors in. That bastard isn't going anywhere. You'll need to build your own shelves inside it if you're going to put heavy stuff on the shelves like a lot of ammo.

It won't likely keep a pro thief out, but it'll keep your average tweaker/teenager out.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:59:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I have been searching for an economical safe as well. These two safes hit my radar. Both are $999, one from Costco and the other from TSC.

Price wise, the TSC will cost about $150 extra if you elect to do curbside delivery. Costco has free curbside included in the $999 price.

Additionally the Costco unit is larger and has 14ga body and a 12ga door. TSC wasn’t as revealing on metal but did mention 14ga still so I am not sure if that is body & door or if it has the same setup as Costco. So TSC is smaller and potentially weaker, for more money if you need delivery. Even if you don’t it’s less hassle to have it delivered.

However, do some review searches. The Costco website has lots of people talking about poor construction & craftsmanship.  Additionally quality control issues with paint and interior shelving. Also some are discussing the fact it’s not super sturdy and quite a bit of complaints about botched deliveries. Yet overall it remains to keep a 4.4 out of 5 rating. Some of the more positive reviews is along the lines of “you get what you pay for, so set your expectations accordingly and you will find value in the purchase”.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:01:04 AM EDT
[#9]
New and limited to 2000 characters. The rest....

I also looked at some YouTube videos in both units. Some say junk and others say decent for the money especially if you catch a sale where they are $200 or so off the normal price.

One of the videos stated what I felt was accurate, you are getting a glorified filing cabinet with a little fire protection. This may not be inherently bad. It depends on your life goals at the moment.

To me it would be silly to buy either and throw $100k of stuff in it thinking I was protected. If you have that type of gear and true security, you need a better built safe. On the flip side, if you understand it’s to keep guns away from kids and low level punks then either may serve you well.

I found myself in the latter situation. Need to prevent kid access and not overly worried with theft. Sure, it’s a concern. But ultimately it’s all insured. I realize I’m only going to slightly slow down a truly determined thief but again, the safe is just one element of my overall protection when i consider home alarm, insurance, etc.

The above said, while I liked the size ultimately I decided to go with the Bighorn B6030XL.  It’s also a Costco unit for $999. The primary differences being this unit has 3mm (hair over 11ga) body and door, 70 min fire protection, etc. it’s also an import made by Rhino who has a good USA line.  For the price point I believe it offers a little better protection than most other units. It comes at the expense of some space but it works for me. Also in my case I realize this is a temporary solution as we are on the cusp of moving and eventually building a custom house where I want to include a small dedicated gun room with much higher security. Ultimately this unit felt like a good “right now” solution for something I consider temporary.

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:07:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Get what you can when you can. Years ago before we got our daughter, I didn't think much about securing my few firearms. Low crime area and life was good.

Then I added more to my collection and my daughter was born so that's when I decided I needed to secure my firearms. I couldn't afford much and I lived in a small apartment. Ended up with a small Stack-On RSC.

That worked out well for years until we moved into a new place and I wanted a better and bigger safe. By then, I was able to afford a better and bigger RSC. My Liberty Safe Lincoln 25 is perfect for me and enough for my needs.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 10:59:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the Cannon 64 gun safe. I read lots of reviews  where the lock shit the bed so I swapped out the factory lock for an Amsec lock. So far no issues.
Lot of safe for the money. I know it's not as secure as a $6,000 Amsec safe, but I'm just looking to keep the kid out
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have been searching for an economical safe as well. These two safes hit my radar. Both are $999, one from Costco and the other from TSC.

Price wise, the TSC will cost about $150 extra if you elect to do curbside delivery. Costco has free curbside included in the $999 price.

Additionally the Costco unit is larger and has 14ga body and a 12ga door. TSC wasn't as revealing on metal but did mention 14ga still so I am not sure if that is body & door or if it has the same setup as Costco. So TSC is smaller and potentially weaker, for more money if you need delivery. Even if you don't it's less hassle to have it delivered.

However, do some review searches. The Costco website has lots of people talking about poor construction & craftsmanship.  Additionally quality control issues with paint and interior shelving. Also some are discussing the fact it's not super sturdy and quite a bit of complaints about botched deliveries. Yet overall it remains to keep a 4.4 out of 5 rating. Some of the more positive reviews is along the lines of "you get what you pay for, so set your expectations accordingly and you will find value in the purchase".
View Quote
If you search you'll see I was looking at this safe not long ago. I ended up picking up the $999 Costco safe. I am NOT impressed with it. The shelves are made out of the cheapest pressboard and fabric I've ever seen, the door organizer is so poorly made I don't even use it, and when it arrived it had serious scuff marks and scratches in the paint. The Tractor Supply and Rural King versions are much nicer for the same or less money. If I had seen it in person before I ordered it I would not have bought it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 6:29:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought the $999 Cannon safe from Costco safe and returned it for the $1400 80 gun Cannon safe (also from Costco) and couldn't be happier.  As a bonus, it was not only $300 cheaper than TSC (same model), but also included shipping to curb and included a free LED light kit and bedside handgun safe.  The LED light kit is a nice one (can be switched on/off, or uses proximity sensor).

The door organizer is much nicer on this model as well.  The biggest downsides are the material used to line the inside and shelves is very thin and like with all widebody safes, the shelf that spans the entire width (above the rifles) either needs a center support, or you need to keep the heavy items to the sides so the shelf doesn't bow down in the middle.

Very happy with the purchase for the price.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:32:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I wonder why the 72 gun safe is poorly made vs the 80 and 64 models. They are the same manufacturer. I may end up going with the 80 gun model because Costco has free shipping. It is a little over my budget, but after factoring in the free shipping it isn't too bad.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:40:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Actually, I don't see the 80 gun version on Costco. Maybe they are sold out.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:51:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Unless you primary concern is keeping kids out, I’d pass on the canon safe altogether and just hide your guns.  Buying cheap safes is an illusion that will only park all your nice shit in a consolidated, convenient place for someone to break through that thin steel and Sheetrock and take your stuff.

I know your budget is a concern, but don’t waste your money on a nicely painted locker.  Couple guys with bars would be in that safe in 5 minutes.

Lots of people recommend “expensive” safes because steel is expensive and more of it costs more.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 8:43:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Unless you primary concern is keeping kids out, I’d pass on the canon safe altogether and just hide your guns.  Buying cheap safes is an illusion that will only park all your nice shit in a consolidated, convenient place for someone to break through that thin steel and Sheetrock and take your stuff.

I know your budget is a concern, but don’t waste your money on a nicely painted locker.  Couple guys with bars would be in that safe in 5 minutes.

Lots of people recommend “expensive” safes because steel is expensive and more of it costs more.
View Quote

We live in a safe neighborhood, and someone is home 75% of the time. It is mostly for the kids/visitors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top