Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2018 9:31:35 PM EDT
Have everything ready for my renewal, including a copy to drop off with the local LEO.

My question is: In the instruction sheet, it states that ,"Item C4 requires certification that the CLEO has been notified."

What "certification" do I need from the CLEO?

I do not recall ever having to do this in the past. Something new?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

BGF.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:25:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, CLEO notification is required for C&R FFL applications.  I forget how long it's been that way, it's not real new, maybe started under Clinton.
You have to send a copy of your C&R FFL application to your CLEO, and initial the box acknowledging such, that's the certification the form requires.
You don't need to get anything else from your CLEO.  If you don't check the box then ATF won't process the form.  If you check the box and didn't
send your CLEO the form they get you for lying on a federal form.  Heads they win, tails you lose.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:58:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks,

I know in past renewals I never got anything from my LEO.

BGF
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 8:13:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I did my renewal a few months ago and just dropped off a copy at the city police station, attention the chief and checked the box.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 7:08:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Dropped off the copy today. After explaining to the kind lady what it was and who it was for, she took it.

However, she was very puzzled with the whole process. Oh well, I did my part.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a form letter somewhere that came from a C&R forum or board.

It was just a letter that you addressed to the CLEO and explained what the application was for and then mailed to the CLEO.

That checked the square for notifying the CLEO.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 3:08:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I really did not explain what it was for when I dropped mine off.  Willing to bet the chief just circular filed it.  He could contact me if he had questions.  BTW, small city, 12.000 or so.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:03:30 PM EDT
[#8]
The "certification" is that you certify that you sent the CLEO copy of the license application to your CLEO.  That's all.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 7:23:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dropped off the copy today. After explaining to the kind lady what it was and who it was for, she took it.

However, she was very puzzled with the whole process. Oh well, I did my part.
View Quote
Next time just put it in a sealed envelope and write attn "chief of police name here" and just mail it to his office or drop it off at the police station-no need to explain it to them or why you are doing it. Most of the time-like 99% of the time that person won't have a clue about it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:16:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Next time just put it in a sealed envelope and write attn "chief of police name here" and just mail it to his office or drop it off at the police station-no need to explain it to them or why you are doing it. Most of the time-like 99% of the time that person won't have a clue about it.
View Quote
I mail mine.  Standard postage, nothing fancy.  Dropping off the form is way "above and beyond."
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 11:36:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I can see the P.D. from my back yard, so it wasn't out of the way by any means.  Always mailed it in the past.

I have to admit, I was a little curious to see what kind of response I would receive. About what I expected.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:58:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd like to piggyback off of this thread if I may. Does anyone know how long renewals are taking right now or if they are even being processed?
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 4:12:57 PM EDT
[#13]
No clue. I'm not up for renewal until this December. Hopefully others will chime in on some details for you.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 12:39:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'd like to piggyback off of this thread if I may. Does anyone know how long renewals are taking right now or if they are even being processed?
View Quote
Reminders are being sent out for sure.  Just got mine a few days ago.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 1:04:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I received the reminder back in Dec. and sent out my renewal shortly after. My only reason for concern is that in order to own a SBR in IL you have to have a C&R and I don't want to be exposed if it lapses due to the govt. shutdown.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top