Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2020 2:05:56 AM EDT
I have a SCAR 17s on the way and am contemplating optics I already have that have no home and wondering if I can put an Aimpoint PRO with Aimpoint M4 mount and an Aimpoint 3X magnifier with Aimpoint twist mount without the optics or mounts breaking.

I did read up a bit on the SCAR 17 and Optics issues but haven't seen a concrete "this is why it's a problem".  Is it mostly due to having two mount points (eg, two scope rings) that are apart on the rail, and the torsion created between those two points when firing?   If that is the case, I'd imagine that optics that use a single mount point would be OK, no?
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m also curious about this. Not because I have a scar, but because I’ve got a pro
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 7:18:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m sure an aimpoint is fine. Supposedly it has something to do with the “forward recoil impulse” that can damage lower tier scopes.
I think if you go for mid-grade vortex scopes or better you’ll be fine. A one piece mount can also help it’s said.

The real problem is more delicate laser devices but even there, anything worth using from the last five years will be fine as well if it’s from a reputable company (mawl,dbal ect)
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 12:13:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd be surprised if the Aimpoint wasn't up to the task.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 7:39:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Why not sell the PRO and Magnifier and just spend a little more on a used Elcan 1/4?

It is better and more suitable for the SCAR while not having a major snag point when the magnifier is not in use...
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 9:42:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why not sell the PRO and Magnifier and just spend a little more on a used Elcan 1/4?

It is better and more suitable for the SCAR while not having a major snag point when the magnifier is not in use...
View Quote
The Elcan is not "a little" more...  it's a $1700 scope and I'd be lucky to get half that from selling an Aimpoint PRO and 3x magnifier.  While I'd love an Elcan someday, I just spent all my disposable cash on the rifle itself, so I am trying to repurpose optics I already have...  thus my question.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 11:28:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The Elcan is not "a little" more...  it's a $1700 scope and I'd be lucky to get half that from selling an Aimpoint PRO and 3x magnifier.  While I'd love an Elcan someday, I just spent all my disposable cash on the rifle itself, so I am trying to repurpose optics I already have...  thus my question.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP, the Aimpoint will do just fine.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 12:48:04 AM EDT
[#7]
As another poster said - I would be shocked if the Aimpoint can't handle it.
Even the PRO model is made to be abused and used.  The recoil pulse on the scar will do that for sure, but the optic is built to take it.  The factory mounts are pretty solid too, so that should mitigate potential issues.

The SCAR optics munching seems to come from a combination of factors - devices and optics not up to the task of an odd/sharp recoil pulse that that 17 has (like lower end optics/lasers), optics mounted in cantilever mounts that allow for too much movement - imagine a tuning fork what a sharp hit causes the posts to vibrate, and then the SCAR itself with the odd recoil pulse from a massive chunk of steel that is the bolt carrier.  Doing what you can to mitigate those items can prevent optic death.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 1:35:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
As another poster said - I would be shocked if the Aimpoint can't handle it.
Even the PRO model is made to be abused and used.  The recoil pulse on the scar will do that for sure, but the optic is built to take it.  The factory mounts are pretty solid too, so that should mitigate potential issues.

The SCAR optics munching seems to come from a combination of factors - devices and optics not up to the task of an odd/sharp recoil pulse that that 17 has (like lower end optics/lasers), optics mounted in cantilever mounts that allow for too much movement - imagine a tuning fork what a sharp hit causes the posts to vibrate, and then the SCAR itself with the odd recoil pulse from a massive chunk of steel that is the bolt carrier.  Doing what you can to mitigate those items can prevent optic death.
View Quote
Very helpful; thank you.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 9:15:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I used an Aimpoint T2 and 3x magnifier on one of my SCARs for a few years without issue so I imagine the Pro will do just fine. Only reason I swapped to an ELCAN (also just fine) is because I wanted the Aimpoint on another rifle.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 9:35:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Optics mounted towards the rear on the solid part of the upper will usually be fine. Very little flexing there.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 9:38:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I have used a Pro on my SCARs (16 & 17).  It has been on a number of other rifles (it's a pretty early Pro) and it's been fine.  

I think there are much better optics for a SCAR 17, but a Pro will be fine.  The OEM mount kinda sucks though and I would recommend a better one.  That big ass knob sucks donkey balls and if you have it on the side with the charging handle, your knuckles won't like you.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 9:55:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I think it will work just fine.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 11:23:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Just about anything in Aimpoint's military/LE line will be fine on SCAR.

Optics manufacturers really didnt need to focus on durability as much until SCAR and other guns like it came along. The development of a sub 9lb 7.62 with a large operating group/carrier mass meant that that was suddenly not something you could get away with anymore. SCAR isnt the only gun that will kill an optic if it isnt up to par, but it is one of the most, if not the most, prolific so it gets the heat for it.

Ultimately it is caused by a mixture of low weight of the gun, significant carrier mass (which is done intentionally to improve reliability of feeding/cycling and help with felt recoil/smoothness, rate of fire, etc), and last but not least flex of the system under load. Effectively if you have an optic that is not hardened for g-loading in anything other than the forward direction, or not at all in the case of some cheap optics, they can die on a gun that is accelerating them in other directions.  

Think about taking a stack of quarters and putting them in a cup. If you swing the cup in one direction it's pretty easy to keep them all in a stack. Now shake the cup back and forth, then side to side. Report results.

For the most part these days the big boys in the optics world have upped their game and as long as you aren't putting cheap Chinese optics on your rifle you will probably be okay.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:24:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a modlite on the front of mine and when I got home the cable was out and tail cap was starting to unscrew a bit. I don't know if it snagged on something because I had it stuffed with a bunch of other stuff but I'll definitely be on the lookout next outing.

I been using irons and might take one of my aimpoint's from something else until I get a good scope but I know I won't be able to cheap out after shooting this thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top