Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2018 11:09:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 11:37:21 PM EDT
[#1]
LLC can own NFA items, process is essentially the same as a trust when it comes to filing the paperwork with the ATF. You just have to make sure to keep the LLC active in compliance with your state laws (registration, fees, etc.)
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 12:49:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 1:49:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes... Although looking back, I should have used a Trust. I have paid more in annual LLC fees than I ever did for the toys or stamps.

Accountant
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 7:18:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes... Although looking back, I should have used a Trust. I have paid more in annual LLC fees than I ever did for the toys or stamps.

Accountant
View Quote
Yea some states are crazy on fees. Here in Arizona the fees are like nothing pretty much. $50 to establish and no ongoing maintenance or yearly fees.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 10:58:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, but the trust is less expensive and you don't have to maintain it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 8:37:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Although trusts have always been an entity that could legally possess firearms and other assets, I understand ATF was not approving transfers to them until the early 2000s. And this only because someone sued them over it. And trust ownership didn't really become known about until the late 2000s - early 2010s.

Prior to that, if you didn't live in a jurisdiction where the CLEO would sign, some form of corporate ownership was the only route to own NFA stuff.

At that point, it was more a matter of what type of corp (LLC, S Corp, etc). In that instance, the laws of the state you were in largely drove the decision for what was the "best" type.

Trust ownership is still a relatively new thing.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 11:39:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the replies.  I have the LLC anyway (for a side business/hobby), so I’ll be paying the annual fees regardless.
View Quote
The question you need to answer for yourself is if you want your NFA stuff tied to your (unrelated?) side business.

There may be no down-side to it. Or there could be, depending on your situation.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 1:22:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same here.  Although when I started, nobody had spoken about using trusts.  You're only route beside personal, was business.

ETA:  Garret covered it well.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Unlike a trust, your LLC can also hold a FFL (SOT), so LLCs can end up owning pre-samples even after the FFL/SOT is long gone.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:17:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Unlike a trust, your LLC can also hold a FFL (SOT), so LLCs can end up owning pre-samples even after the FFL/SOT is long gone.
View Quote
that would be my end plan with my ffl if i can acquire some pre samples some day
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Although trusts have always been an entity that could legally possess firearms and other assets, I understand ATF was not approving transfers to them until the early 2000s. And this only because someone sued them over it. And trust ownership didn't really become known about until the late 2000s - early 2010s.
View Quote
I knew about LLC and trusts back in the 80s. Most people like me went with LLC. Trusts were "re-discovered" after the AWB expired.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Plus, it would be kind of funny for a small pipe-making business to own an anti-tank gun.
View Quote
Not really. It's just a bigger pipe, with more expensive smoke.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 5:25:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 7:06:51 PM EDT
[#16]
If by Pre-samples you meant fully automatic weapons, then no, if you let the SOT expire you can keep all the NFA stuff, except for machine guns.

What happens if I let my SOT expire?

Nothing. All NFA items in your possession are yours to keep and sell except for full-auto firearms. If you let your SOT expire and have a full-auto you must let the ATF know so they can pick up the full-auto firearm and dispose of it. Failure to report is a felony that the ATF does not joke around about (when they typically are good with FFLs so long as you contact them).

Suppressors, SBRs, SBS, etc can be sold to standard customers on the standard Form 4.

The exception to this is if the FFL company also closes. All assets of the company would have to be transferred out, even for single-member LLCs or single-owner Corporations. However, a FFL under an individual’s name is able to keep all the assets without paying the transfer tax as they were transferred to them personally in the eyes of the government.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 7:10:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If by Pre-samples you meant fully automatic weapons, then no, if you let the SOT expire you can keep all the NFA stuff, except for machine guns.
View Quote
Yes you can. It is Post-Sample MGs you have to give up.

A pre-sample is any NFA imported after 1968, excluding MGs imported after 5/19/86 (which are post-sample MGs).
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

A pre-sample is any NFA imported after 1968, excluding MGs imported after 5/19/86 (which are post-sample MGs).
View Quote
Oops, getting old sucks. I saw Pre and my brain said Post.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 1:08:37 PM EDT
[#19]
There can be downsides to using an existing LLC, for instance if your company gets sued or has to go through bankrupcy - those are company assets.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 1:47:23 PM EDT
[#20]
OP. If you are thinking you will just become an SOT/FFL..?  With an LLC or Corp. to acquire toys. You are going to have issues if you are not actively enguaged in the Firearms business in some fashion.
The ATF will not look favorably on it and may decide your sole purpose was to circumvent the NFA in regards to private ownership of certain NFA weapons.
What is the definition of actively enguaged...? Entirely up to them. Lawyer up.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 1:49:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
"Pre-sample" is that what individuals refer too as "Keepers" on the MG sales sites? SO MGs built or imported from 1968-1986.

Quoted:
OP. If you are thinking you will just become an SOT/FFL..?  With an LLC or Corp. to acquire toys. You are going to have issues if you are not actively enguaged in the Firearms business in some fashion.
The ATF will not look favorably on it and may decide your sole purpose was to circumvent the NFA in regards to private ownership of certain NFA weapons.
What is the definition of actively enguaged...? Entirely up to them. Lawyer up.
View Quote
I have flirted with the idea of getting my FFL & SOT to sell suppressors & handle NFA transfers as a side business. After getting approved on my SOT could I then purchase a post sample lower. The purpose would be for suppressor/ MG demonstrations for prospective buyers.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
"Pre-sample" is that what individuals refer too as "Keepers" on the MG sales sites? SO MGs built or imported from 1968-1986
View Quote
Pre-sample "keepers" are just the imported ones 68-86. All of the domestically registered ones up until 86 are fully transferable (transferable to everyone). All of the imports prior to 68 are also. You just need a SOT to acquire the pre-samples.

It was not unheard of, prior to 86, for someone to take an imported MG, rebuild it on a US (or welded-back-together) receiver, and register it on Form 1 or 2, which would then render it fully transferable. The original uncut receivers are practically always better from both a physical and collectibility standpoint though.
Top Top