Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2018 11:10:20 PM EDT
...if the tube is not the serialized/marked part, but rather the part that screws onto the barrel or brake/FH mount?  Or, maybe if I got a griffin SS blast shield and used that as the serialized part/blast chamber and had it to where the AL or Ti tube screwed on to it with the baffles inside?

Just wondering if the i built it lighter, maybe even AL if I could replace that as it wore out or just gave out over time??
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 11:22:14 PM EDT
[#1]
The problem with F1 cans, officially, is that basically nothing is replaceable, because the ATF will conclude that at some point you had both a broken old suppressor and too much of a functional, new suppressor, without paying another tax.

A C2 SOT can get away with the steps involved, even under strict scrutiny, because they are licensed to make such things without paying a per-item tax, and can get you back into a legal, single-stamp configuration before they ship back to you.

Or. you can follow the SSS principle, fix your F1 can without posting about it, and in the end as long as you wind up with only one taxable item and no one is the wiser, then it's sort of no-harm no-foul.

IANAL, YMMV, CSB.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Okay, forgot about self repair.  Say a guy had a self made F1 can and a helpful SOT to repair it.

Really my qyestiin is this: if a guy used a griffin blast shield as a blast chamber and screwed Ti or aluminum tube on that holding the baffles, could a guy engrave the blast shield so he didnt have to worry about the forward tube having a catastrophic failure?
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 9:35:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The problem with F1 cans, officially, is that basically nothing is replaceable, because the ATF will conclude that at some point you had both a broken old suppressor and too much of a functional, new suppressor, without paying another tax.

A C2 SOT can get away with the steps involved, even under strict scrutiny, because they are licensed to make such things without paying a per-item tax, and can get you back into a legal, single-stamp configuration before they ship back to you.

Or. you can follow the SSS principle, fix your F1 can without posting about it, and in the end as long as you wind up with only one taxable item and no one is the wiser, then it's sort of no-harm no-foul.

IANAL, YMMV, CSB.
View Quote
I would never suggest anyone commit a federal crime. If anyone does break a federal firearm law the penalties are quite stiff including foregoing the right to own firearms of any type for the rest of your life. Seems to me the risk reward ratio is not favorable.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 9:37:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Okay, forgot about self repair.  Say a guy had a self made F1 can and a helpful SOT to repair it.

Really my qyestiin is this: if a guy used a griffin blast shield as a blast chamber and screwed Ti or aluminum tube on that holding the baffles, could a guy engrave the blast shield rather than the part?
View Quote
Yes. Then a sot could replace the other end. I have several set up this way.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 12:20:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I have seen this done on the endcap that threads onto the barrel/muzzle device. in that instance then yes a SOT could make repairs in the event of worn/damaged parts. Doing your blast can would be along same lines assuming it wasn't the part that failed.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:51:13 AM EDT
[#6]
In theory, yes a 07/02 could. But it will likely cost more than filing another form1 and rebuilding it yourself.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In theory, yes a 07/02 could. But it will likely cost more than filing another form1 and rebuilding it yourself.
View Quote
Imho that determination would need to be made to see the damage before quoting. It can go either way depending on the parts to be replaced.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top