Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2018 8:35:00 PM EDT
How do get the water bed flavor out of new Camelback bladder?

Ran water through it several times, even popped off the hose and rinsed it thru, still taste like syphoning a water bed!
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 8:43:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a platypus?
Is it just the first sip, that have been sitting in the hose?
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 8:46:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Platypus for me. I use a Platypus bladder in my probably 15 year old Camelbak Blowfish.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#3]
You could do a cleaning tab for hydration bladders, or I've heard Alka seltzer works, as does just a small amount of bleach.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 9:04:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Vinegar and water clean out always worked for me with new ones.  Now I use Source bladders and they don’t seem to have the issue.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 10:11:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Source bladders
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 12:15:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Alka seltzer works, as does just a small amount of bleach.
View Quote
Those work. It's a pain in the ass, but it works. Another trick is to use lipton tea bag(s) in a full bladder. The tea flavor kills the skunky taste, and the tea bag itself helps pull some of the crappy tastes out as well.

The other option that I used to do was just buy a bunch of inexpensive bladders and just dump them when they start getting gross.

Ebay link - USGI 100oz

You might be able to find them cheaper, but that's what I used to use. Just make sure you blow the water out of the tube, then hang it upside down so it can drain. That will extend the life.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 12:55:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Vinegar / water rinse has always worked for me
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 10:57:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Source bladders
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 11:01:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Check this out: Source Razor 3L. If you are wearing it with body armor it can molle right to the back. No dangling straps or gypsy shit. Or just get a Source bladder. They are nice.

Eta: I realize I totally ignored the OP question. I believe they sell tabs that desolve in your bladder and clean it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 11:43:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Source bladders
View Quote
This is the answer.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 8:03:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Have you tried Baking Soda or citric acid (grocery stores) ? Both product are my go2 for cleaning out my bladder especially when I forget to clean or empty after a year of sitting. Citric acid works like a charm and is food safe and it does a really good job removing the mildew. We also use it at my work when cleaning the potable water system on aircrafts before they go into service.

I would try these two methods before using bleach or vinegar, both may leave another after taste.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top