Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2018 3:35:27 PM EDT
what calipers is everyone using? i was using the Hornady Digital calipers and just noticed I'm getting mixed measurements. Any recommendations for a accurate replacement, and does not need to be digital.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Harbor freight $10

Mine just failed the other day. Went and bought another yesterday. Lasted 3 years. I'll take that deal.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 5:40:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I just replaced mine..killed the old one rummaging g thru an overhead cabinet and accidentally dropped a die set..which just happened too kill my old one..

I bought this...buy once cry once..but in reloading I demand quality accurate measurements....

Attachment Attached File

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JPHK2NO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 7:26:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just replaced mine..killed the old one rummaging g thru an overhead cabinet and accidentally dropped a die set..which just happened too kill my old one..

I bought this...buy once cry once..but in reloading I demand quality accurate measurements....

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_1929-572685.JPG

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JPHK2NO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
View Quote
That's a good digital caliper.
I have many for work,  but for a cheaper at home one, I use a Fowler. They're not too bad and if you take care of them will last awhile. Digital is easy to read, but dial caliper is just as easy once you're used to it. And there are no batteries to deal with or failing electronics.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 7:33:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a dial caliper that I got about 15 years ago!  Never had a problem with it.  No batteries, no plastic!    My powder scale (Redding #2) is similar - no batteries, no plastic and I am VERY happy with it as well!!!  

Link Posted: 6/11/2018 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Any recommendations for a accurate replacement, and does not need to be digital.
View Quote
I bought an unbranded caliper from Amazon for about $20 that had a good rating.  I've had it for about two years and it is still repeatable.

For a lot of measurements, I find it just as easy to use a micrometer.  You can get decent 3 micrometer sets (0-1 inch, 1-2 inch and 2-3 inch) for about $60.  I wouldn't use them to make machine parts, but they're more than good enough for reloading and my set has lasted 25 years.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 7:53:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's a good digital caliper.
I have many for work,  but for a cheaper at home one, I use a Fowler. They're not too bad and if you take care of them will last awhile. Digital is easy to read, but dial caliper is just as easy once you're used to it. And there are no batteries to deal with or failing electronics.
View Quote
Yeah, I know, the one I smashed was a nice fowler I had bought  back in 1995...never an issue, it just couldn't handle steel on plastic smash..
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 8:20:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 8:30:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been extremely happy with my Mitutoya digital calipers. Best digital caliper I've used and supposed to be the best selling? Have had no luck with cheap digital calipers that eat batteries. I've used dial calipers for decades but they are prone to get dirt or chips in the gears or skip a gear tooth if dropped.  I have read from others posts that there are Chinese copies of Mitutoya digital calipers often found on Amazon??  This site is good to go and now a sale. They often have a sale on this caliper.
[url=https://www.msi-viking.com/Mitutoyo_500-196-30_6-Inch_Absolute_Digital_Caliper?gclid=Cj0KCQjwu_jYBRD8ARIsAC3EGCIpQf0si_Ct1BIdNFOuIMwt5ddNlJNkyyKcxRbUhui33QEs8g9DO_MaAk_lEALw_wcB]https://www.msi-viking.com/Mitutoyo_500-196-30_6-Inch_Absolute_Digital_Caliper?gclid=Cj0KCQjwu_jYBRD8ARIsAC3EGCIpQf0si_Ct1BIdNFOuIMwt5ddNlJNkyyKcxRbUhui33QEs8g9DO_MaAk_lEALw_wcB[/urlhttps://www.msi-viking.com/Mitutoyo_500-196-30_6-Inch_Absolute_Digital_Caliper?gclid=Cj0KCQjwu_jYBRD8ARIsAC3EGCIpQf0si_Ct1BIdNFOuIMwt5ddNlJNkyyKcxRbUhui33QEs8g9DO_MaAk_lEALw_wcB
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 9:57:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't trust digital calipers unless you spend upwards of $100 for them.

Good old fashioned analog calipers will serve you well for decades or until you drop them on concrete, whichever comes first.

Mitutoyo and Starett make the very best.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 10:37:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Good old fashioned analog calipers will serve you well for decades or until you drop them on concrete, whichever comes first.

View Quote
I tend to agree with those on the good ol' dial gauge caliper.  I used to be pretty high on the digital ones for automotive and motorcycle mechanics, but when I got more serious into reloading, I noticed slight variations in two different medium priced digital units.

My old Lyman dial caliper didn't exhibit those slight fluctuations.  Like bp suggested, I think you gotta spend some bucks on a digital to get solid, precise reliability.  A good dial caliper in $35-$50 range seems to offer very consistent performance.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 10:38:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Starret and Mitutoyo.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 12:55:22 AM EDT
[#12]
A $20 dial caliper will serve you better than any digital under $100.

I have a nice Mituttoyo at work, but my $15 Midway Dial is just fine for reloading.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 5:37:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Educate yourself from this long standing repair company of test instruments.

http://www.longislandindicator.com/p11.html
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 5:32:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Educate yourself from this long standing repair company of test instruments.

http://www.longislandindicator.com/p11.html
View Quote
Very interesting article.  I have one question on their comment about the digital versions not having a rack.  What do they use instead to maintain exact location?  How is the data "read" by the readout?

Something I started noticing on my digitals was a discrepancy when doing several measurements on the same item at the same exact location that I wouldn't get with my dial version.

If digitals don't have a rack, then I'm starting to think that they don't have as consistent a locating system to repeat exact measurements.  While gears, teeth, etc. will eventually wear out, they also provide what appears to me to be a fairly reliable position maintenance.

I don't know...I don't claim to be a caliper engineer for sure.

I'm also curious why they referenced calipers that are for sale through Amazon in their pics.  Just wondering if there is a commercial interest on their part.  And no...not an Amazon hater here.  My account activity would prove that...LOL!
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 7:06:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Very interesting article.  I have one question on their comment about the digital versions not having a rack.  What do they use instead to maintain exact location?  How is the data "read" by the readout?

Something I started noticing on my digitals was a discrepancy when doing several measurements on the same item at the same exact location that I wouldn't get with my dial version.

If digitals don't have a rack, then I'm starting to think that they don't have as consistent a locating system to repeat exact measurements.  While gears, teeth, etc. will eventually wear out, they also provide what appears to me to be a fairly reliable position maintenance.

I'm also curious why they referenced calipers that are for sale through Amazon in their pics.  Just wondering if there is a commercial interest on their part.  And no...not an Amazon hater here.  My account activity would prove that...LOL!
View Quote
Magnets!  

As an example, a tape player can read the tiny and weak magnetic field variations in a piece of tape with incredible spacial resolution.  For a moving tape, distance = time.  For a caliper, each little pulse = distance.

Mirrors!  

You can also encode distance via an optical signal.  For example, that's how an optical mouse works, position encoders on a rotating shaft also work that way.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 7:11:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I would also recommend at least a pair of the inexpensive, stainless steel calipers ($20 class).  If you want to spend more, go for it.  I did, and it was from Long Island Indicator Service.

Honestly, the prospects of dropping it on the floor is so great, it mostly sits in my tool chest to be used when I want to "calibrate" my cheapies (which are always correct, even after being dropped).
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Agreed.

My original set is a dial mitotoyo.  It’s been dropped a few times too many.  I took it apart and it works again. It jumped a tooth. I don’t trust it for precision work but down to two thousandths I think it is accurate across the full Six inches.

I picked up a no name set from Grizzly during a sale.  6” and one inch.  Good enough for the reloading  bench.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 10:19:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Starret and Mitutoyo.
View Quote
Nothing wrong with brown&Sharpe either.
I'll admit, I'm a starrett fanboy.

But, I think the quality isn't what it used to be. My 12in has dual racks and didn't come with a depth rod.
It's still great, just don't like how I feel the step when it moves to the 2nd rack.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
OP should just get a Mitutoyo from MSC and be done with it.

The Chinese metrology tools are just like their optics: they look similar but couldn't be farther apart in quality.

I would also put the calipers produced by the Hexagon group. I love my jet dial B&S calipers.

You can't beat mitutoyo for the price. Just watch MSC and Grainger and you can get a good pair for ~$150 delivered.

Don't waste your time with anything less.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:56:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Nothing wrong with brown&Sharpe either.
I'll admit, I'm a starrett fanboy.

But, I think the quality isn't what it used to be. My 12in has dual racks and didn't come with a depth rod.
It's still great, just don't like how I feel the step when it moves to the 2nd rack.
View Quote
Starret isn't what it used to be.  Mitutoyo has taken over.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The Chinese metrology tools are just like their optics: they look similar but couldn't be farther apart in quality.

I would also put the calipers produced by the Hexagon group. I love my jet dial B&S calipers.

You can't beat mitutoyo for the price. Just watch MSC and Grainger and you can get a good pair for ~$150 delivered.

View Quote
You're paying about 50% too much if you buy from those places.  $156 is full retail.

https://www.msi-viking.com/Mitutoyo_500-196-30_6-Inch_Absolute_Digital_Caliper
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 1:15:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You're paying about 50% too much if you buy from those places.  $156 is full retail.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL yeah I guess I've gotten spoiled by the discounts we get from Grainger and MSC. My tool account is finally at $0.00.

Mitutoyo is a 45 minute drive away, but, hasn't even sent a rep. Hexagon gave us some calipers
with the last CMM and I won't go back to Mitutoyo, but, it's Swiss prices.

IIf the OP is a Colt pony fan he should invest in Ethalon
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Magnets!  

As an example, a tape player can read the tiny and weak magnetic field variations in a piece of tape with incredible spacial resolution.  For a moving tape, distance = time.  For a caliper, each little pulse = distance.

Mirrors!  

You can also encode distance via an optical signal.  For example, that's how an optical mouse works, position encoders on a rotating shaft also work that way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Magnets!  

Mirrors!  

Electric fields and capacitance.

There is a very precise pattern in copper inside the body.
It varies over the length and encodes the location at that spot.
A capacitance detector on the slider measures the capacitance and the position determined.

They can be made useful down to a resolution of 10 µm with an accuracy of 30 to 40 µm
10 µm is ~0.0003980 in 0.0004 usually is fine.

Electronics is fun.
The sensor and pattern use very fine copper lines and an 'absolute' encoding pattern.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Electric fields and capacitance.

There is a very precise pattern in copper inside the body.
It varies over the length and encodes the location at that spot.
A capacitance detector on the slider measures the capacitance and the position determined.

They can be made useful down to a resolution of 10 µm with an accuracy of 30 to 40 µm
10 µm is ~0.0003980 in 0.0004 usually is fine.

Electronics is fun.
The sensor and pattern use very fine copper lines and an 'absolute' encoding pattern.
View Quote
Sure that's all fine and dandy with the electronics and such, but what about those fluorescent lights and flux capacitor interferences?

LOL!...JK, of course.  I wasn't aware of the elements present in the digital units...always wondered.  Thanks for the revelations.

I still see a little fluctuation occasionally with my digital units compared to the rack/dial version.  But then, it could be the higher sensitivity in the digital that's reacting to my hand manipulation of the gauge while measuring...you know, where you're sort of moving the gauge and item measured to get what appears to be a consistent reading.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 3:09:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 3:28:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Sure that's all fine and dandy with the electronics and such, but what about those fluorescent lights and flux capacitor interferences?

LOL!...JK, of course.  I wasn't aware of the elements present in the digital units...always wondered.  Thanks for the revelations.

I still see a little fluctuation occasionally with my digital units compared to the rack/dial version.  But then, it could be the higher sensitivity in the digital that's reacting to my hand manipulation of the gauge while measuring...you know, where you're sort of moving the gauge and item measured to get what appears to be a consistent reading.
View Quote
Most of the 'field' from a fluorescent light is a small  magnetic leakage from an old style ballast, so no effect on a capacitance system, and a small electric field between the tube and the metal reflector.
This field is what allows the arc in the tube to strike 120 times a second as the voltage cycles at 60 Hz.
The arc strikes again on each half of the 60 Hz AC waveform.

Looking at a rotating object under only florescent lighting can create the 'ghost' of the object moving slowly.
Same idea as a timing light to read fine engine position.

That is one of the reasons we still had incandescent lighting on the carriage of every lathe.
Often not as important on new stuff that shuts down if you open the 'safety shield' on the carriage.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 11:13:46 AM EDT
[#28]
I have 2 sets, one from Horrible Fraud, and a set of iGaging's that picked up from Amazon.  The HF's work fine, but eat batteries.  The iGagings work very well for the price, and I have had them checked by a machinist friend against his Starret's, and they are just as accurate for a fraction of the price.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#29]
I use a Starrett dial caliper. I liked it. Got it for Christmas years ago.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#30]
The ones that Northern Tool carries are far superior to Harbor freight.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Mitutoyo digital and Starrett Dial.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 8:50:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_1929-572685.JPG

View Quote
I use this exact one as well
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 8:06:40 PM EDT
[#33]
I prefer dial; gotta use your mind, no substitute, no batteries, no EMP interference,
Top Top