Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2020 4:53:07 PM EDT
Forgive me for my ignorance.  I have assembled a few stripped lowers over the years.   All that I have purchased through an FFL have been marked “MULTI”.   Years ago I bought a complete rifle in 6.8 spc with the lower marked that way.   I have often thought of selling the upper off the 6.8 but had reservations about the upper/lower combination.  I guess I don’t understand the way the lowers are marked, either by caliber or multi.   Does it just have ramifications with pistol or rifle?   I only have 16 inch uppers and don’t mess with the pistol or pistol brace, etc....  Can I just sell the 6.8 upper?   Can I put whatever upper on a 6.8 marked lower?   Please explain.   Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless there is NY law to the contrary, you can put whatever caliber you like on the lower.  You can even mount a crossbow upper if you like.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 6:20:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds good.   Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes. I've had Colt lowers that were marked 9mm, attached to a .223 upper.  The gun may have left the factory as a 9mm, but it was a .223 when I got it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 3:46:00 AM EDT
[#4]
There is no requirement to put any caliber marking on the lower.  The caliber should be marked on the barrel just like a bolt action rifle.

I have a letter on it from ATF.  If I am not mistaken, Tromix was the first to omit all caliber markings from its lowers, beginning in 2000.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Link Posted: 5/3/2021 3:45:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top