Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2018 8:40:54 PM EDT
So I'm finally setting up a dillon 1050 I picked up a few months ago. After breaking it down I'm fairly certain that the original owner never broke it down to clean it and rather just put more and more grease. At this point I'm dealing with fresh grease and grease that resembles paste/glue.

Anyone have a way to clean this paste off easily? Tempted to consider wet tumbling or even oven cleaner at this point.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 10:55:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 11:46:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Assuming the parts are all metal, I would be tempted to throw the parts in a bucket of gasoline...  soak, agitate, wipe dry, re-grease lightly, & reassemble...  Other useful household solvents that would probably work as well would include mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, MEK, and maybe even acetone (nail polish remover).  Use caution, most of these solvents have some degree of toxicity - handle wisely/carefully in a well ventilated area, yada yada yada...
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 2:41:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 8:46:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure where the grease is, but I normally use a rag with a little solvent on it and wipe it off.
View Quote
It's everywhere. So. Much. Grease.

Worst right now is the crankshaft.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 9:26:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's everywhere. So. Much. Grease.

Worst right now is the crankshaft.
View Quote
Pics?

If its really that bad, you have 2 choices.

Wipe it off with some type of solvent.  Even just a thorough wipe down with a paper towel and some Simple Green might get you 90% of the way there

Tear it down and clean it with a solvent.  Red BrakeCleaner is my favorite.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 2:57:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I was going to break this down to bare parts, but upon closer inspection most of the caked on grease is superficial. No unknown squeaks.

I managed to scrape most of the caked on grease with some metal picks. I think at this point I'm going to grease as directed and reassemble.

Definately a lesson though.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Assuming the parts are all metal, I would be tempted to throw the parts in a bucket of gasoline...
View Quote
Plain old paint thinner (mineral spirits) is more than enough.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top