Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2019 11:35:45 PM EDT
I would use this mostly for a range toy/plinking. What would be the better choice as far as aftermarket parts, choices etc? My only reservation is the cost.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 11:40:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't say anything about the CMMG but this thing is a blast. The aftermarket for it is booming!
Even Magpul has announced that it is now making parts and mags for it.

I took the Scorpion to shoot the PPC side match at my monthly IDPA. I had not fired a single round from it beforehand, and WON ($75!).
That really impressed me and a lot of other people with the Scorp.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 1:00:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Scorpion. Used by 35-40 military and police units around the world.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 5:31:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Scorpion. Used by 35-40 military and police units around the world.
View Quote
I'd have to agree... When Magpul and Apex starts making parts/assessories along with the already great products/upgrades from HB-Industries... CZ is onto something...
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 7:13:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I would use this mostly for a range toy/plinking. What would be the better choice as far as aftermarket parts, choices etc? My only reservation is the cost.
View Quote
I have the 8" CMMG Guard (now referred to as the Guard) and really like it over the other blowback operated offerings.  
I think it currently the only delayed blowback pistol caliber offering for the AR market today....maybe something will be unveiled at Shot Show this coming week by FM Products?   Who knows.

Anyways, for today considering your criteria.  I'd definitely recommend the CMMG Guard/Banshee.  CMMG was previously only offering their 8" barrel combo separately but now you can get the 5".
https://www.cmmginc.com/product/56086barrel-and-bcg-kit-5-4140cm-sbn-9mm/
For $350 retail, you can get the proprietary BCG and barrel as pictured below.
Then get basically any AR/M16 aftermarket part you want.   Being that only the BCG and barrel are proprietary and the rest are standard AR parts, it opens you up to way more aftermarket options than the CZ or any other PCC/SMG platform on the planet.......  All kinds of buffers/springs/stocks/uppers/lowers/rails/triggers for the standard AR platform are now options with this platform.

For mags, you have several options for the Guard/Banshee as well.  You don't have to go with their Glock lower.
I am also using undmodified Colt mags which does require some work.  My steps to do that here: http://c3junkie.com/?page_id=597
Or just use the new Mean Arms Endomags as discussed here: https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Anyone-seen-this-MEAN-Arms-9mm-adpater-/15-728601/?page=11
You don't have to mod anything with the Endomags.  Use any standard AR lower, Endomag adapter and any Gen2 or 3 Pmag.

Out of all 3 options, I like the Endomags the most.
I know some other people have been messing with those MP5 upper/lower receiver sets on the Guard as well to use unmodified MP5 mags but I have no experience with that....you also lose last round BHO if you go the MP5 mag route.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 7:16:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I can't say anything about the CMMG but this thing is a blast. The aftermarket for it is booming!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/15109/CZ_PDW_1_jpg-812910.JPG
View Quote
I just picked up my grey scorpion yesterday, needs some goodies for it. What  optic and light you running on yours?
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:08:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I just picked up my grey scorpion yesterday, needs some goodies for it. What  optic and light you running on yours?
View Quote
I got mine last week and shot it for the first time yesterday... Put almost 500 rounds thru it; vetting it and the 8 mags I have for it. The first day I fingerbanged it I knew it had to have a better safety, an Light, an extended charging handle, and definitely an extended mag release... HB-Industries was the ticket and the parts are an easy install. I'm running mine sans an optic but for any work over 50 yards I quickly found out that I need at least a 2x. Irons are dead on though... and mine loves 124grain Blazer Aluminum cased ammo, Geco, and Prvi Partizan, everything I tried. I wished I would have had some 147grain pills to run thru it though.

Link Posted: 1/19/2019 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Vortex Optics Sparc II and a Inforce "Haley Strategic" WML Momentary Light
The optic runs fine but not my first choice. I'm going to go with a Trij RMR in the near future.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I took the Scorpion to shoot the PPC side match at my monthly IDPA. I had not fired a single round from it beforehand, and WON ($75!).
That really impressed me and alot of other people with the Scorp.

View Quote
Is that the KVP comp on your CZ?

Steve
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 6:22:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Is that the KVP comp on your CZ?

Steve
View Quote
Yes it is, good eye.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:08:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That really impressed me and a lot of other people with the Scorp.

View Quote
Sounds like I should get a Scorpion then. Where'd you get that brace?
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 12:54:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sounds like I should get a Scorpion then. Where'd you get that brace?
View Quote
Anyone that sells SB tactical should have them, they are new so they may be back ordered.
I bought mine from Tactical Shit.

Apex Tactical Specialties grip
HB Industries THETA trigger with reduced weight trigger kit, AK Style safety selectors (ambi), and paddle mag release
Kaw Valley linear compensator
SB Tactical CZPDW brace
along with the previously mentioned light and optic
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 11:17:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I have both.

EVO Carbine

Banshee/Guard

both in 9mm

Banshee is lighter (duh, carbine over braced pistol)

both as accurate and reliable.

BUT, the best part is the CMMG can accept a better trigger. I had a POF 3 lb drop in laying around, so in it went.

I call it a wash other than weight (in favor of the CMMG).
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 10:48:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Had another thought. Wait until the Scorpion Evo S2 comes out or get a S1 and get the brace? Money wise what would be the more inexpensive option?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:17:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a Scorpion and want a Banshee.  If it wasn't for the cost i'd already have one.  I think they are a bit pricey.  I will most likely build a 9mm AR in 2019 and use the Ripstock.

I have yet to have one issue with my Scorpion.  It shoots everything i put in it and i never clean it.  Just keep adding oil.  IMO its the best bang for the buck 9mm PC.  To me the other offerings on the market are crazy expensive.

I don't have a tone of cash in mine (HBI spring kit, HBI grip, HBI trigger, stock kit, I dremeled off the right hand side safety lever, PA red-dot, suppressed and sbr'ed). Any other upgrades are unnecessary IMO but that's me.  Mines a range toy and my kids love it.  I wish Geissele would make a trigger for it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 6:53:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I have both. The Evo is SBR'd with a factory stock and HBI short handguard and a chopped barrel for the K configuration. The CMMG Mkgs is a 9mm pistol 8" barrel Key mod handguard and SBA3 brace. Both guns are running HK parts three lug adapter for use with my Griffin Optimus. In my case there really isn't any weight difference between the two. My CMMG is technically heavier, but only because it has a Streamlight Pro Tac 1 on an Arisaka Offset scount mount and a Cloud Defense switch mount.

The Scorpion needs some upgrades for my needs out of the box. Mine has a number of upgrades from HBI, but the minimum would be a right side AK safety or delete, trigger springs, and an extended charging handle. The CMMG depending on what level you get might not need anything, but it is more expensive. My CMMG Mkgs was bought used as a base pistol. I added the SBA3 brace, Geisselle trigger, BCM charging handle, light, red dot and backups. I am not a fan of the stock CZ sights. On the factory stock it seems I have to get really low to use them. I still keep them on, but I've started using a Bushnell TRS25 red dot. The red dot is a higher and more comfortable to see. I may remove the stock fixed CZ sights and just go with only a red dot.

How do they shoot? Both for the most part shoot very well with some differences. The heavy bolt of the Scorpion is noticeable and adds to the recoil impulse. I would have never noticed this until I got a MP5 clone. The RDB of the CMMG really does work. The bolt is lighter and it shoots a little softer than the Scorpion. They have both been fairly reliable, but I've had some minor stoppages in both. I'm shooting both suppressed and the CMMG seems to be a little more gassy. After the last range visit it was absolutely filthy with a few hundred rounds down range. I don't remember the CZ getting that dirty, but I haven't shot it in a while.

Its been a while since I've had the Scorpion out so maybe a range day is in order comparing the Scorpion, CMMG, and the MP5 all back to back.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 9:32:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Any Banshee owners want to chime in on how it feeds JHP's?  I know that can be an issue with some of the PCC's out there now.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 9:33:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Had a scorpion and the CMMG Guard, I only have the Cmmg now.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 9:36:23 AM EDT
[#18]
CZ Scorp all day long. 9mm AR's are craptastic.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 11:27:12 AM EDT
[#19]
As another Evo owner if I had my choice today I would go banshee. Just my .02
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 5:30:59 PM EDT
[#20]
The scorpion is a blast. As some have mentioned there are a few things that NEED to be fixed ie. the safety and grip. There’s a huge and growing aftermarket. I’ve heard great things about the cmmg, I hear that it’s a delayed roller setup of some sort that is really smooth and tons of fun to shoot. I can’t sway you away from either but from experience, the scorpion is cool.

ETA: someone needs to come out with a good trigger in a bad way. I have the HBI spring kit and a different shoe. Helps some but still not great. I would imagine the CMMG has the scorpion beat in the trigger department.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 9:24:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
ETA: someone needs to come out with a good trigger in a bad way. I have the HBI spring kit and a different shoe. Helps some but still not great. I would imagine the CMMG has the scorpion beat in the trigger department.
View Quote
The trigger shoe does absolutely nothing save for a flat faced trigger, you may pull it slightly differently but the break doesn't change. I have the Yetiwurks adjustable trigger with the HBI spring and it's pretty amazing for $50 in parts. It has almost 0 pre travel and the over travel isn't too bad either once you set it up. I am kinda curious on the new 2 stage trigger pack by Black Collar and while $200 isn't terrible compared to the CZ custom, I'm not sure how much better it would be over the $50 setup I have now.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 8:58:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The scorpion is a blast. As some have mentioned there are a few things that NEED to be fixed ie. the safety and grip. There’s a huge and growing aftermarket. I’ve heard great things about the cmmg, I hear that it’s a delayed roller setup of some sort that is really smooth and tons of fun to shoot. I can’t sway you away from either but from experience, the scorpion is cool.

View Quote
ShootignSight and BlackCollar arms are both releasing two stage triggers for the CZ. Also you could do a polish job on the factory trigger, which helps.

ShootingSight at the moment does not have the trigger listed on their website, however there is this video on the trigger.

BlackCollar Arms has their trigger listed, but they are only taking a deposit at the moment https://blackcollararms.com/product/drop-in-scorpitrol/
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 12:24:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The trigger shoe does absolutely nothing save for a flat faced trigger, you may pull it slightly differently but the break doesn't change. I have the Yetiwurks adjustable trigger with the HBI spring and it's pretty amazing for $50 in parts. It has almost 0 pre travel and the over travel isn't too bad either once you set it up. I am kinda curious on the new 2 stage trigger pack by Black Collar and while $200 isn't terrible compared to the CZ custom, I'm not sure how much better it would be over the $50 setup I have now.
View Quote
The shoes have different geometry that reduces felt pull weight.  I’ll be giving a two stage a try. The trigger is the worse thing about the scorpion hands down.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Scorpion recoil is worse then a AR. Colt 6951 with a KAK 10oz is pretty soft.  Scorpion trigger isn’t very good.  I find the banshee softer shooting.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 2:38:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The shoes have different geometry that reduces felt pull weight.  I’ll be giving a two stage a try. The trigger is the worse thing about the scorpion hands down.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did address the slight difference in felt pull w different faced triggers. Also I think you really will love the adjustable trigger, esp for the price. If by chance you want a silver one, I wouldn’t mind selling you mine so I could get a black one
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 9:49:47 PM EDT
[#26]
I have and like both but prefer the Banshee by a long shot.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 8:15:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Scorpion recoil is worse then a AR. Colt 6951 with a KAK 10oz is pretty soft.  Scorpion trigger isn’t very good.  I find the banshee softer shooting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not sure if serious

Quoted:
Truth here.

Really hope this new trigger is as good as they say it is.  I just hate start up companies that come out of nowhere and expect you to fund there projects.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 1:27:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Well shit. Now I'm seriously thinking about the Banshee again. I sure as hell don't have that amount of funds. Will Banshee prices ever be similar to the CZ?
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:07:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Well shit. Now I'm seriously thinking about the Banshee again. I sure as hell don't have that amount of funds. Will Banshee prices ever be similar to the CZ?
View Quote
While upfront cost is more, once you start adding accessories the price is very similar.

I'm currently shopping for a new PCC and can find the 200 series Banshee in 9mm for 900 to 1000. Already has a brace so to shoot just add your irons/red dot of choice.

Scorpion is ~750, but you have to add at least a brace, do some kind of work to the safety, and that gets you close to the Banshee cost
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 11:15:23 AM EDT
[#30]
CMMG no doubt
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 6:03:41 PM EDT
[#31]
@jesB

What did you decide?
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Do you already own an AR SBR or Pistol w/ brace?
If so, just get the Banshee BCG and barrel for $349 retail.  Then get a cheapo upper and slap it all together on the cheap.
https://www.cmmginc.com/product/56086barrel-and-bcg-kit-5-4140cm-sbn-9mm/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top