Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2021 11:51:43 PM EDT
For a PVS 14, what's needed to finish off or make the night cap functional?

ETA: What specific equipment (make/model) would you use to make one functional for a PVS-14?
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:59:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Mount, shroud, -14 and some work. A counterweight pouch with batteries could be nice.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:05:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Depends on your budget the available parts vary a whole lot
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:45:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I find mine practically useless without a counterweight.  I'd rather hold it up to my eye and hang it around my neck. Especially with a pvs14 where the weight isn't just forward, but forward and to the side.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:16:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm new to the NV game, but I have a Crye nightcap and fully expected I'd need a counterweight. But so far I've really had no issues without one when wearing my PVS14.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:25:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't need a counter weight either.

I find it very secure and for the most part comfortable.

That said the crooked chin strap bugs the shit out of me.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:59:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been using the nightcap with PVS7s with little to no issue... works as advertised.   No counterweight.

Makes a good Gopro platform for Bear hunting too...

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:39:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I have several Night Caps with battery pouches and ran them with 14, 7 and binos. You will definitely need the battery pouch and some weight in the back to avoid neck strain when used for long durations. Just like  a ballistic or bump you want to have your CG aka center of your melon cap.

@Lowdown3 if you put a flashlight against where the shroud mounts you can see the factory mounting hole locations pre drilled/molded at the factory, under the fabric. I use a soldering iron to make the mounting holes in the fabric, that way it has no chance of tearing or fraying. I have no idea why Crye doesn't just do it at the time of manufacturing.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:49:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:47:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I used a norotos universal shroud and a rhino 2.  It works fine for me without a counterweight but is more comfortable with one so I ordered the counterweight pouch. Pretty comfy overall
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:28:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Damn, great idea!

I was always concerned about making too big of a hole. I use a crazy small bit and go really slow. The fabric holds up pretty well.

The soldering iron sounds like a better idea, will have to try that next go around. Thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have several Night Caps with battery pouches and ran them with 14, 7 and binos. You will definitely need the battery pouch and some weight in the back to avoid neck strain when used for long durations. Just like  a ballistic or bump you want to have your CG aka center of your melon cap.

@Lowdown3 if you put a flashlight against where the shroud mounts you can see the factory mounting hole locations pre drilled/molded at the factory, under the fabric. I use a soldering iron to make the mounting holes in the fabric, that way it has no chance of tearing or fraying. I have no idea why Crye doesn't just do it at the time of manufacturing.

Damn, great idea!

I was always concerned about making too big of a hole. I use a crazy small bit and go really slow. The fabric holds up pretty well.

The soldering iron sounds like a better idea, will have to try that next go around. Thanks!

I used a flashlight and an ice pick.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:51:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:31:20 PM EDT
[#13]
The night cap is nice and lightweight. My only real complaint is that I feel like the straps don't offer enough support and the bottom strap hits my ear. I had a buddy of mine, who use to make web gear and such, rig up a H style harness on the rear like you would find on a helmet. It definitely helped support the weight and felt a lot more comfortable as the bottom strap now sits below by ear. Maybe I just have a weird shaped head . I do have a battery pouch on the way for it too.

Back
Attachment Attached File

Left
Attachment Attached File

Right
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:30:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Got mine just wish they were a little warmer in the winter. #baldheadproblems
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:48:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I find mine practically useless without a counterweight.  I'd rather hold it up to my eye and hang it around my neck. Especially with a pvs14 where the weight isn't just forward, but forward and to the side.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The night cap is nice and lightweight. My only real complaint is that I feel like the straps don't offer enough support and the bottom strap hits my ear.
View Quote

For anyone else with the strap/ear issue, tie a shock cord loop around the back of the head between left and right straps and cinch it, and it will pull the straps away from the ears.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Got mine just wish they were a little warmer in the winter. #baldheadproblems
View Quote

Hoodies works well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:20:45 PM EDT
[#18]
A usable chin strap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top